Town Council Issued with Fire Hazard Abatement Notices (FHAN) by SCDF

Carbon82

And I tot that all hose reel is "connected" to a flow sensor? Once the water is turned on, an alarm will sound in the main control panel, then the pump will kick in and produce more pressure for fire fighting.

So if anyone uses it to wash car, immediately the TC will come and investigate.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

And I tot that all hose reel is "connected" to a flow sensor? Once the water is turned on, an alarm will sound in the main control panel, then the pump will kick in and produce more pressure for fire fighting.

So if anyone uses it to wash car, immediately the TC will come and investigate.

The alarm can be isolated and many organization are known to be doing this.

I have contacted SCDF this morning, and have forward them some of the photos I have taken as evidences.

aCS1Uxf.jpg

• Praise 8

19 hours ago, Ka_kia said:

Prevent vandalism is really absurd la. Those never read the law on safety stuff lor.

Anyways why no periodic checks by Town Council or SCDF le?

Lucky the victims never ko lor.

i thought every year mom will do safety check.

i see them every year without fail, and every year they will give me somework to do 😒

• Haha! 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:28 AM, Carbon82 said:

In my years of experience, I hardly came across stolen nozzle or missing valve in Singapore (I can't say the same for Malaysia and other ASEAN countries though).

Securing the entire hose reel using a steel cabinet is to minimize the wear and tear to the reel and hose (it is known to crack if expose under harsh environmental conditions), as well as to prevent misuse (typically for washing and watering plants).

Over the years when more buildings have built-in hose reel, they are housed in dedicated riser for ease of maintenance and usage, and nozzle box is used at some place to prevent misuse. 

As I have stated in my earlier post, SCDF can access to any locked up cabinet or nozzle box as they have the master key, but general public will not be able to do so without any key or tools. The role of building owner (including town council) is to ensure that the hose reel are accessible and ready to be used, thus they engage 3rd party contractor to have them checked and serviced on a regular basis.

If any defects were found (including damaged hose reel components, key and locks etc) it is the responsibility of the building owner to get it repaired / replaced ASAP. Normally the owner will keep spares or get the contractor to get things done on the spot, so there is absolutely NO reason to have these findings immediately after the hose reels have been service. So it is clearer now who is the primary culprit and who is not checking?? 

yes - however this also presupposes that 

a) SCDF is there in a timely manner

b) the remember to bring the correct key, the key hasn't been changed, the key holder is around etc etc etc

I'm pretty sure (at least I would hope so) the SCDF would have procedures to all but eliminate this AND that they have figures to back up with data that locking the cabinet is a "better" outcome than leaving it unlocked

Of course - it then means that "the public" who are already there can't do anything about a small fire - they have to watch it grow until the SCDF arrives, 

Have heard a saying before - when seconds count the police are only minutes away. 
it seems pretty appropriate in this case

20 hours ago, Ka_kia said:

Prevent vandalism is really absurd la. Those never read the law on safety stuff lor.

Actually this pretty much sums up singapore culture in my mind,

Kiasu, Kiasee
this "culture" is why PMD on footpath have to be banned

19 hours ago, Ka_kia said:

Wa lao eh these ppl do all these v hiong la. Really like waiting for one time jialat then all jialat together. This one is u can write to u mp cc scdf and town council.

Or explore use one service app. Daily report dao they buay tahan la. Send to media is also good

Write to MP? Got use or not? Or will your email be filtered by the MP's dog first? lol

2 hours ago, Beregond said:

i thought every year mom will do safety check.

i see them every year without fail, and every year they will give me somework to do 😒

they give you homework to do, so they don't need to do theirs. sounds familiar?

1 hour ago, Darryn said:

yes - however this also presupposes that 

a) SCDF is there in a timely manner

b) the remember to bring the correct key, the key hasn't been changed, the key holder is around etc etc etc

I'm pretty sure (at least I would hope so) the SCDF would have procedures to all but eliminate this AND that they have figures to back up with data that locking the cabinet is a "better" outcome than leaving it unlocked

Of course - it then means that "the public" who are already there can't do anything about a small fire - they have to watch it grow until the SCDF arrives, 

Have heard a saying before - when seconds count the police are only minutes away. 
it seems pretty appropriate in this case

I concur. That is why there are legal requirement for preventive maintenance, regular inspection and servicing (including testing the function and water pressure of hosereel) to be carried out by the building owner and appointed 3rd parties contractor.

The conditions shown in those photos I have posted are UNLIKELY to have just occurred in the past few days or weeks, but easily for months if not years, and this is clearly a FAILURE by the building owner (Town Council) to carry out preventive check. Do bear in mind that even when the respectively TC sub-contracted the maintenance work to 3rd party contractor, the onus is still on them to ensure that things are in order, and that the contractor are paid for what they have done, NOT basing on service reports (aka paper work). So much mentioned about accountability in our parliament over TC issue, and isn't this the same in nature??

@Beregond Inspection of fire fighting, detection and protection system is under the purview of SCDF, not MOM. MOM will be focusing on occupational health and safety (particularly risk management, licenses / permits, general workplace layout, etc.)

Now, time for me to reveal the answer to my earlier question...

Do you believe that this particular hose reel was check less than 2 weeks ago? How did the contractor check it when the cabinet has been secured for such a long time (note the last service date on the hose reel vs the label on the cabinet)? It is likely to have been locked up with cable tie for 4 years!!!

TInY97K.jpg

pOpneRXr.jpg

PxbqjPC.jpg

And I am glad that SCDF has taken the necessary action to ensure compliance. This is the sms I received on 19 Nov for the above case, and it is the follow up inspection after their first visit on the same day I submitted my feedback via SCDF email (on 16 Nov 2019). They call me personally to update that they have verify my report on site (within 3 hours after I submitted the report) and will be taking actions against the town council.

wCoA8JT.png

• Praise 8

suddenly town council guys came to check the fire hose at my blk yesterday. Today morning saw SCDF guys checking the fire hydrants around the blk. never see before since moving in 7 years ago. 😁

• Haha! 1

58 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

suddenly town council guys came to check the fire hose at my blk yesterday. Today morning saw SCDF guys checking the fire hydrants around the blk. never see before since moving in 7 years ago. 😁

Where do you stay (estate / zone)? I don't think you stay in those few blocks I feedback to SCDF...

BTW, good to see them (SCDF) going round to conduct spot check and keep the TCs on their toes. That is one of SCDF's role BTW (until they sub-contract it out to 3rd party by next year).

• Praise 5

77417259_2593210327415011_92548833185523

金文泰3组屋 消防栓隔间竟变“储藏室”

20191122_ln_store-01.jpg?itok=Q1ARTRE-

左图:金文泰1道第419座组屋17楼的消防栓被两个梯子挡着,隔间完全被“封死”。右图:第419座组屋6楼的消防隔间被堆满家居用品和小孩的玩具,角落单位的男住户承认是自己所为,他说将在这个星期天清理掉杂物。(唐家鸿摄)

金文泰三栋组屋的多个楼层的消防栓隔间变成储藏室,居民把床褥、全身镜、梯子、行李箱等都塞进隔间里,甚至还有居民在隔间外摆放盆栽和电动踏板车,让人忧心万一发生火患,妨碍民防人员无法第一时间去灭火。

这三栋组屋包括位于金文泰1道的第419座组屋、第422座组屋和第423座组屋停车场。

• Praise 6

11 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Write to MP? Got use or not? Or will your email be filtered by the MP's dog first? lol

Make v big is shoot to MP and SCDF lor. No respond then shoot to MP and media lor.

I feedback quite a bit of fire safety hazard but when revisited the place like same le.

Those who need to feedback fire safety can do it with the link below.

If they dont have bandwidth to check and enforce then they gotto find a way to correct those reported fire hazards and not just wait for somethig to happen ma.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/home/feedback-form

• Praise 2

On 11/22/2019 at 11:55 AM, Carbon82 said:

I concur. That is why there are legal requirement for preventive maintenance, regular inspection and servicing (including testing the function and water pressure of hosereel) to be carried out by the building owner and appointed 3rd parties contractor.

The conditions shown in those photos I have posted are UNLIKELY to have just occurred in the past few days or weeks, but easily for months if not years, and this is clearly a FAILURE by the building owner (Town Council) to carry out preventive check. Do bear in mind that even when the respectively TC sub-contracted the maintenance work to 3rd party contractor, the onus is still on them to ensure that things are in order, and that the contractor are paid for what they have done, NOT basing on service reports (aka paper work). So much mentioned about accountability in our parliament over TC issue, and isn't this the same in nature??

@Beregond Inspection of fire fighting, detection and protection system is under the purview of SCDF, not MOM. MOM will be focusing on occupational health and safety (particularly risk management, licenses / permits, general workplace layout, etc.)

Now, time for me to reveal the answer to my earlier question...

Do you believe that this particular hose reel was check less than 2 weeks ago? How did the contractor check it when the cabinet has been secured for such a long time (note the last service date on the hose reel vs the label on the cabinet)? It is likely to have been locked up with cable tie for 4 years!!!

TInY97K.jpg

pOpneRXr.jpg

PxbqjPC.jpg

And I am glad that SCDF has taken the necessary action to ensure compliance. This is the sms I received on 19 Nov for the above case, and it is the follow up inspection after their first visit on the same day I submitted my feedback via SCDF email (on 16 Nov 2019). They call me personally to update that they have verify my report on site (within 3 hours after I submitted the report) and will be taking actions against the town council.

wCoA8JT.png

I would be surprised when the SCDF goes to check tomorrow everything had been fixed the night before.

Then the question is: did carbon called the service provider to save their bacon

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

19 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

I would be surprised when the SCDF goes to check tomorrow everything had been fixed the night before.

Then the question is: did carbon called the service provider to save their bacon

This type of thing is a huge safety lapse. I don't feel it is right to help the contractor or anyone to cover it up. Need some punishment for them to wake up their freaking sleep.

Not wait till a death or major damage done then come and say why this and that not done.

I treat safety as the utmost importance. 

• Praise 4

22 hours ago, Ka_kia said:

Make v big is shoot to MP and SCDF lor. No respond then shoot to MP and media lor.

I feedback quite a bit of fire safety hazard but when revisited the place like same le.

Those who need to feedback fire safety can do it with the link below.

If they dont have bandwidth to check and enforce then they gotto find a way to correct those reported fire hazards and not just wait for somethig to happen ma.

https://www.scdf.gov.sg/home/feedback-form

The feedback portal is not working as of current so don't waste time to fill in the form. This is the latest email for feedback to SCDF: [email protected]

For faster response, can call them direct via the Fire Hazard Reporting hotline @1800 280 0000

1 hour ago, Ash2017 said:

The one I spotted and reported at Clementi would take at least a week or more to have all the risers cleared (imagine >50% of the riser have junks in them and some nozzle box are badly damaged too)!!

And why should I call the contractor to clear them? We are talking about people's lives at stake. If you have seen the actual condition on the ground, you will know it is not a laughing matter. Someone have to answer for all these nonsense... 

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

This type of thing is a huge safety lapse. I don't feel it is right to help the contractor or anyone to cover it up. Need some punishment for them to wake up their freaking sleep.

Not wait till a death or major damage done then come and say why this and that not done.

I treat safety as the utmost importance. 

I concur. I hope more people will be aware of these fire hazards around us and do their due diligence. Look at the PMD thread, there are similar findings elsewhere and on Wanbao facebook page, also quite a handful of complaints... 

• Praise 8

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

The feedback portal is not working as of current so don't waste time to fill in the form. This is the latest email for feedback to SCDF: [email protected]

For faster response, can call them direct via the Fire Hazard Reporting hotline @1800 280 0000

The one I spotted and reported at Clementi would take at least a week or more to have all the risers cleared (imagine >50% of the riser have junks in them and some nozzle box are badly damaged too)!!

And why should I call the contractor to clear them? We are talking about people's lives at stake. If you have seen the actual condition on the ground, you will know it is not a laughing matter. Someone have to answer for all these nonsense... 

I concur. I hope more people will be aware of these fire hazards around us and do their due diligence. Look at the PMD thread, there are similar findings elsewhere and on Wanbao facebook page, also quite a handful of complaints... 

alamak I dare not accuse SCDF or Town Council collaborating with contractor, so I indirectly use your big name

just wanted to see the final outcome whether by the time the SCDF goes to inspect, the problem (all) is still there for them to see or "someone or some organization" prime the contractor to take corrective measures before SCDF appear.

If the latter occur, then we know how independent things work.

• Praise 3

All these are deviations from contract.

The contractors must be earning huge profits.... No wonder contractors are still clamouring to bid for gebiz... Even on paper looks like lowest bid...

The service delivery can easily be using one FW with no technical qualification or proper training to cover a sector meant to be covered by 10 qualified workers. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:01 AM, Darryn said:

Actually this pretty much sums up singapore culture in my mind,

Kiasu, Kiasee
this "culture" is why PMD on footpath have to be banned

To some extent true but don't forget, more than 50% of those people aren't Singaporean. To breed a certain culture,  you got to start them young. Imported ones DNA different. Like someone said before, back home this is the way of their lifestyle. 

↡ Advertisement