Town Council Issued with Fire Hazard Abatement Notices (FHAN) by SCDF

Carbon82

22 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Just received a call from SCDF. They have visited the site and confirmed my findings. They have also written to the Town Council concerned (not JCTC but another one) on the violation!!:a-m1212::a-m1212:

This is the condition of another hose reel at the same block. I seriously doubt the water inlet valve have been operated before...

wa8TJWp.jpg

Great work bro.

I think everyone can do our part on this.

For I will keep my eye open bigger when walk pass any fire hose reel.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Thank you @Carbon82 for sharing your knowledge and reporting the violation spotted. 

I saw this hose been lock up in a small red box, but the key is no way to be found. If there is a fire, how can we unlock the box to use the hose?

This picture was taken at block 418 Clementi Avenue 1 yesterday. 

IMG_20191119_165111.jpg

Edited by SGMCF328
  • Praise 6

4 hours ago, SGMCF328 said:

I saw this hose been lock up in a small red box, but the key is no way to be found. If there is a fire, how can we unlock the box to use the hose?

This picture was taken at block 418 Clementi Avenue 1 yesterday. 

IMG_20191119_165111.jpg

OK, 2 part answer to your question. These type nozzle box and most of the hose reel cabinet have lock set that can be unlocked by a master key (which SCDF personnel have with them) so there will be no problem for them to use it during an fire emergency.

That is however not the case for general public like you and me. Without the key, there is no way to remove the hose reel nozzle from the box. While some might think that cutting off the hose from the nozzle can allow them to use the hose, BUT without the nozzle, control of the spray pattern and throw (distance) of the water will not be possible.

Erm... Clementi Ave 1, that should be under the same Jurong-Clementi Town Council that was issued FHAN by SCDF. Please report it to SCDF for them to take further action. Thanks.

• Praise 4

Actually SCDF is very reactive lah. Just drive around or even their off duty officers walking around their own neighbourhood will see many infringements lah. Just close eyes and walk till something happen. Obstruction to fire escape routes and illegal storage alone they can issue summons in thousands.

• Praise 1

Haha...I think can stop reporting. It doesnt really help scdf or TC.

I mean there's a reason why TC lock the nozzles or hose reel. Other than abuse the nozzles and the control valves are made of brass. Dishonest ppl will dismantle them and sell them as scrap. So whether to leave the hose reel open or have them locked up in both cases there's a high chance the scdf wont get to use them in case of fire. The hose reel will either be abuse/nozzle stolen or locked up. Let the scdf and TC figure out a way.

In case of fire the better choice is to run.

Edited by Watwheels

So end 9f the day we all agree everything for show only? If we are serious about fire safety, then set the minimum and ensure compliance.  What is the point of setting world class standard then just for show right?

6 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I mean there's a reason why TC lock the nozzles or hose reel. Other than abuse the nozzles and the control valves are made of brass. Dishonest ppl will dismantle them and sell them as scrap. So whether to leave the hose reel open or have them locked up in both cases there's a high chance the scdf wont get to use them in case of fire. The hose reel will either be abuse/nozzle stolen or locked up. Let the scdf and TC figure out a way.

Obsolutely right.

Ah gong definitely knows best. Not sure why singaporeans like to find bones in eggs when scdf and TC are the paramount experts in the field.

Bloody troublemakers.

For show? I wouldnt want to put it that way. It's just that things are supposedly there to benefit us in case of a fire but some black sheep will choose to abuse it. Much like PMD. Supposedly to benefit those who dont have access to a car or bike. But some black sheep chose to abuse it. Look at PMD now.

The intent of it is good but in reality there are ppl out there who are up to no good. Do you know how difficult it is to teach ppl to be good?😂  Imagine you came up with the idea to reduce fire risk then some ppl steal the brass nozzle and valve to sell for money to buy drugs or whatever. Have to come up with solution to prevent theft and end up being called as putting up for show. LoL...

Sigh, the problem with ppl.

Edited by Watwheels

53 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

For show? I wouldnt want to put it that way. It's just that things are supposedly there to benefit us in case of a fire but some black sheep will choose to abuse it. Much like PMD. Supposedly to benefit those who dont have access to a car or bike. But some black sheep chose to abuse it. Look at PMD now.

The intent of it is good but in reality there are ppl out there who are up to no good. Do you know how difficult it is to teach ppl to be good?😂  Imagine you came up with the idea to reduce fire risk then some ppl steal the brass nozzle and valve to sell for money to buy drugs or whatever. Have to come up with solution to prevent theft and end up being called as putting up for show. LoL...

Sigh, the problem with ppl.

It all about how serious the authorities view this. Take a simple case of a HDB common corridor. They even draw boxes for the shop unit to place merchandise despite to narrow corridor. So, on 1 hand you say 1.2 m fire safety requirement, next you reduce for business. So, in the eye of general public, everything is flexible. 

10 hours ago, Watwheels said:

In my years of experience, I hardly came across stolen nozzle or missing valve in Singapore (I can't say the same for Malaysia and other ASEAN countries though).

Securing the entire hose reel using a steel cabinet is to minimize the wear and tear to the reel and hose (it is known to crack if expose under harsh environmental conditions), as well as to prevent misuse (typically for washing and watering plants).

Over the years when more buildings have built-in hose reel, they are housed in dedicated riser for ease of maintenance and usage, and nozzle box is used at some place to prevent misuse. 

As I have stated in my earlier post, SCDF can access to any locked up cabinet or nozzle box as they have the master key, but general public will not be able to do so without any key or tools. The role of building owner (including town council) is to ensure that the hose reel are accessible and ready to be used, thus they engage 3rd party contractor to have them checked and serviced on a regular basis.

If any defects were found (including damaged hose reel components, key and locks etc) it is the responsibility of the building owner to get it repaired / replaced ASAP. Normally the owner will keep spares or get the contractor to get things done on the spot, so there is absolutely NO reason to have these findings immediately after the hose reels have been service. So it is clearer now who is the primary culprit and who is not checking?? 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

These hose reels still usable?! :omg::omg:

For the last photo, resident can even install racking within the hose reel riser and town council did not even stop them?!!:we-all-gonna-die:

UCHkxhE.jpg

fbA74Qv.jpg

7TCvgbW.jpg

kR5bKwG.jpg

hNmIRGC.jpg

HKh4CnT.jpg

jJmaReB.jpg

mjomsFu.jpg

• Praise 5

Prevent vandalism is really absurd la. Those never read the law on safety stuff lor.

Anyways why no periodic checks by Town Council or SCDF le?

Lucky the victims never ko lor.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Ka_kia said:

Prevent vandalism is really absurd la. Those never read the law on safety stuff lor.

Anyways why no periodic checks by Town Council or SCDF le?

Lucky the victims never ko lor.

I actually get to spoke to 2 residents, one of them is the owner to some junks in the hose reel riser. He told me the last time TC spoke to him is about half year ago, and they left after the owner told them that he would clear off the junk after he got his own flat by early next year!!!

I have decided to alert the reporter this round, instead of writing into SCDF or TC. There are simply too much of violation in this cluster of flats, and what I have shown here is just <5 % of what I have spotted this morning!

c2J5o9h.jpg

HGthlxA.jpg

Cizlkn5.jpg

GOSwIct.jpg

Ljibwqy.jpg

TozmJKd.jpg

MEd9QF9.jpg

x5H6bbq.jpg

• Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I actually get to spoke to 2 residents, one of them is the owner to some junks in the hose reel riser. He told me the last time TC spoke to him is about half year ago, and they left after the owner told them that he would clear off the junk after he got his own flat by early next year!!!

I have decided to alert the reporter this round, instead of writing into SCDF or TC. There are simply too much of violation in this cluster of flats, and what I have shown here is just <5 % of what I have spotted this morning!

c2J5o9h.jpg

HGthlxA.jpg

Cizlkn5.jpg

GOSwIct.jpg

Ljibwqy.jpg

TozmJKd.jpg

MEd9QF9.jpg

x5H6bbq.jpg

Wa lao eh these ppl do all these v hiong la. Really like waiting for one time jialat then all jialat together. This one is u can write to u mp cc scdf and town council.

Or explore use one service app. Daily report dao they buay tahan la. Send to media is also good

• Praise 2