Town Council Issued with Fire Hazard Abatement Notices (FHAN) by SCDF

Carbon82

Heng not AHTC, else don't know how many motions will be tabled in parliament again...

Jurong-Clementi Town Council gets warning from SCDF after firefighters unable to use hose reels during blaze

bukit-batok-fire.png

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) has issued a warning to Jurong-Clementi Town Council after firefighters on call to a blaze at an HDB flat in Bukit Batok last week were unable to use the fire hose reels at the location.

Several of the hose reel cabinets had been padlocked, SCDF said in a statement to CNA on Saturday (Nov 9). Even after firefighters broke one of the padlocks, they were still unable to use the fire hose reel because there was no water supply, SCDF added.

The fire was eventually extinguished with water from SCDF's emergency vehicles.

"Town Councils are responsible for the maintenance and proper functioning of their estates’ fire safety measures," SCDF said.

FIRE HAZARD WARNING

Later on in the day, SCDF notified Jurong-Clementi Town Council of the issue with the fire hose reels and performed an inspection with town council representatives, it said in its statement.

The Town Council was subsequently issued with Fire Hazard Abatement Notices, which serve as warnings to rectify the non-compliance.

In this instance, it would mean ensuring that the hose reels are functioning and are not locked, SCDF said in its statement.

Should non-compliances of the same nature be detected during a reinspection by SCDF, the Town Council could be liable for a composition fine or even prosecution, it added.

"SCDF has since verified through onsite inspections that the fire hose reels at the block are now accessible and in working order."

CNA has contacted Jurong-Clementi Town Council for comment.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

So was it just 1 or many hose reels affected? What about water supply to the hose reels?[confused] [confused]

Fire hose reels at Bukit Batok block were certified to be in working condition, says town council after warning from SCDF
fire-bukit-batok-flat-nov-1.jpg

SINGAPORE: Fire hose reels at Block 210A Bukit Batok Street 21 was certified to be in working condition, said Jurong-Clementi Town Council after firefighters were unable to use them when fire broke out in a flat on Nov 1.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) issued a warning to the town council following the incident. 

"There are 64 fire hose reels at Block 210A Bukit Batok. They last underwent maintenance and testing by the appointed contractor on Oct 14, 2019, and were certified to be in working condition," the town council's general manager Ho Thian Poh said on Wednesday (Nov 13), in response to queries sent by CNA on Saturday.

"However, we accept the SCDF’s finding that the hose in question was not working on the day of the fire. We have been investigating why this was so, and will take appropriate actions once concluded."

The town council however, did not respond to a point made by SCDF in their investigations that several fire hose reel cabinets were found padlocked at Block 210A when firefighters tried to access them. 

"During the firefighting operation, SCDF found that a few fire hose reel cabinets were padlocked," said SCDF.

"After breaking one of the padlocks, the firefighters still could not use the fire hose reel as there was no water supply. SCDF officers proceeded to extinguish the fire using water from their emergency vehicles."

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 2

And after the 2nd press release, the question about no water supply is still not answered...

Fire hose reels at Bukit Batok block were padlocked to prevent vandalism: Town council

bukit-batok-fire.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Jurong-Clementi Town Council said on Thursday (Nov 14) that the fire hose reels over which it was issued a warning by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) had been locked to prevent vandalism. 

In a statement last week, SCDF said that its firefighters were responding to a blaze at an HDB flat in Bukit Batok when they realised several of the hose reel cabinets had been padlocked.  

Even after breaking one of the padlocks, the hose reel could not be used because there was no water supply, said SCDF. 

Responding to CNA's queries, the town council said it had locked the hose reels at Block 210A Bukit Batok because they had been "frequently misused and vandalised". 

“As a precaution, a small padlock was used to prevent casual vandalism. We have since removed all padlocks,” said the spokesperson.

General manager of the town council, Mr Ho Thian Poh, said earlier that the fire hose reels at Block 210A had been certified to be in working condition. 

They were last put through maintenance and testing on Oct 14 this year. 

• Praise 11

It is a very sad state we are heading in many such governing issues. If we continue to 'sub contract' out responsibility and punishment is not severe enough, plus QP are FT. Who is looking after our welfare?

Construction site collapsed because QP didn't even check and signed off. Hosereel not checked and signed off both cases licence/permit given by controlling authority. How many more incomplete or sub standard works are signed off with no cross checks? 

• Praise 6

32 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Imagine this happen in opposition ward. how big it will be, 

lawyers letters flying already , 

Do you want to know who is the chairman of JCTC?

QEly3Yv.png

@Hamburger I too will like to hear these in Parliament again.

Heng Swee Keat: "Mr Speaker, I beg to move that this Parliament affirms the vital importance of Members of Parliament maintaining high standards of integrity and accountability; ... "

And I can't help to think of this video clip when I get to know who is the chairman...

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 3

2 hours ago, Galantspeedz said:

The 2 problems identified in the Notices arose from ground operations by a contractor, JKeart Pte Ltd, the contractor responsible for maintaining the fire hoses, and individual Town Council officers.

Dealing with the water supply issue, JKeart Pte Ltd, the contractor responsible for maintaining the hose reels, insisted that there was water supply to the hose reel in question at the material time. They provided to Town Council a video of the hose reel in question in working condition on the same day of the fire incident. This led to Town Council meeting SCDF officers earlier this week to provide what JKeart showed. After consulting SCDF, Town Council issued a statement accepting SCDF’s position on the matter. It is now investigating JKeart’s assertions.

As to the padlocking issue, the Town Council identified 2 officers as being responsible for directing the padlocking of the fire hose compartments by using small padlocks that can be dislodged using force. As mentioned in Town Council’s statement issued yesterday, these officers decided to do so to prevent misuse of the firehoses. This was a mistake on their part. They have admitted to their mistakes. The Town Council management will pursue disciplinary action against them.

I am clear in my mind that, as your elected representative, I am accountable to you for both issues. These incidents should not have happened and, for that, I must apologise. I will work with my elected & appointed Town Councillors to review this case and ensure that the fire safety system is strengthened to ensure its reliability. I expect the Town Council to make a separate statement on the steps taken separately.

@Victor68 nothing wrong with outsourcing, as long as the pay master check that services have been rendered and everything in good order. I dealt with Jkeart at my previous workplace (I believe @Fuelsaver know them too), and I ever demand the building owner to assign someone to follow them around to ensure things have been carried out, NOT just signing blindly on the service report.[furious]

@Hamburger Accountability?! End of the day, it is always those at the bottom end of the hierarchy chart who receives the punishment / disciplinary action...:a-t2622:

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 2

So what happens to the money used to buy so many padlocks? Will it be returned to the TC fund? Or will it be write off as an honest mistake? Where's the accountability and integrity?😂

Actually how can the TC manager not know the staff used the money to order so many padlocks to lock up the hose reel. Anyhow just put the blame on the staff or fire them sua sua. Where did the water go? What's the relationship between the TC manager and the contractor? Are they good friends also?😂 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Do you want to know who is the chairman of JCTC?

QEly3Yv.png

@Hamburger I too will like to hear these in Parliament again.

Heng Swee Keat: "Mr Speaker, I beg to move that this Parliament affirms the vital importance of Members of Parliament maintaining high standards of integrity and accountability; ... "

And I can't help to think of this video clip when I get to know who is the chairman...

The Chairman will siam difficult situation one ........  😂 They are all the same .. no matter the color 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

And after the 2nd press release, the question about no water supply is still not answered...

Fire hose reels at Bukit Batok block were padlocked to prevent vandalism: Town council

SINGAPORE: The Jurong-Clementi Town Council said on Thursday (Nov 14) that the fire hose reels over which it was issued a warning by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) had been locked to prevent vandalism. 

In a statement last week, SCDF said that its firefighters were responding to a blaze at an HDB flat in Bukit Batok when they realised several of the hose reel cabinets had been padlocked.  

Even after breaking one of the padlocks, the hose reel could not be used because there was no water supply, said SCDF. 

Responding to CNA's queries, the town council said it had locked the hose reels at Block 210A Bukit Batok because they had been "frequently misused and vandalised". 

“As a precaution, a small padlock was used to prevent casual vandalism. We have since removed all padlocks,” said the spokesperson.

General manager of the town council, Mr Ho Thian Poh, said earlier that the fire hose reels at Block 210A had been certified to be in working condition. 

They were last put through maintenance and testing on Oct 14 this year. 

I think hor , they learn from CPF la .............. just Lock it up ! 

:XD:

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 4

Re abuse of fire hose, has anyone not seen bangla using water jet (supposed to clean floor) to clean someone's car ?

Free car wash ? Abuse of power ? Or another honest mistake ?

I do wonder what is a dishonest mistake.

• Praise 2

It's a fair excuse to Lock it up to prevent vandalism. 

But why no water supply in Hydrant? 

Use hot air to fight fire? 

最讨厌做错事还不承认。

Hate to see mistake made yet still adamant about it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3