Rental of MPV and driving in Hokkaido during winter

Atrecord

7 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

How old are you?

I accompanied my elder bro to train before he enlisted. After a run, we did broad jump, and when i landed, there was a 'kruck' sound on my left knee... i just rested a few days then didn't bother about it, cos it didn't bother me.

i went through NS carrying bridges in combat engr, then went armour, and played soccer and ran quite a bit, all still ok. when about 40, brought kids to longkang fishing and squat too long. Stood up only felt a jarring pain in the same knee, and the pain (at certain angle) didn't really go away since. Initially sent to do physiotherapy, gave glucosamine, then later did MRI and doc said it's minor meniscus tear, but don't recommend surgery... it' really true that old injuries can come back to haunt us years later... 😅

You carried bridges (Bailey Bridge?) only knee problem and no back problem considered not bad liao! 

Now combat engineers only risk injuring their fingers pushing the buttons for the VLB! 

↡ Advertisement

23 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

How old are you?

I accompanied my elder bro to train before he enlisted. After a run, we did broad jump, and when i landed, there was a 'kruck' sound on my left knee... i just rested a few days then didn't bother about it, cos it didn't bother me.

i went through NS carrying bridges in combat engr, then went armour, and played soccer and ran quite a bit, all still ok. when about 40, brought kids to longkang fishing and squat too long. Stood up only felt a jarring pain in the same knee, and the pain (at certain angle) didn't really go away since. Initially sent to do physiotherapy, gave glucosamine, then later did MRI and doc said it's minor meniscus tear, but don't recommend surgery... it' really true that old injuries can come back to haunt us years later... 😅

I am mid-40s.  

In younger days, very gungho go-to black route.  Fall like nobody business.  A lot of times kneecap got twisted badly.

At graduate, don't dare to ski anymore.

32 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Very important consideration is 

Photos look better with colourful scarf and beanie!  Terrible if just hoodies that make the face under exposed. 

I do away with scarf, very ma fan and keeps dropping. Just a good jacket with fur or wool lining around the collar that can be zip all the way up plus thick beanie to cover the ears. 

And standby neck warmer that can be pulled over the nose.

Difficult to find a colourful scarf.  I bought a black scarf from Uniqlo Tokyo.

To use a scarf, must know how to tie it nicely.

For HK winter, It is T-shirt + scarf only.  

• Praise 2

5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Too damn cold.

Went seoul few years back.
Bit marfan to keep taking care of kids. Their sensitive nose and skin issues...

I prefer high teens to low 20 degrees ha. 

Seoul is very cold because it is very windy.  I was in Korea business trip  a few time Dec & Jan, the wind just don't stop blowing.  Lowest temperature one time during Jan was -18deg plus wind chill.

• Praise 2

21 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Woah... pro leh... the last time we were on JungFrau we just walked on running shoes... but that was just a short while... thanks for the link... didn't know this 'Wish' is a legitimate online shopping platform... I always see some advertisement for it in one of my phone games with too good to be true pricing... so always highly suspicious of it...

Edited by teomingern
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, Tohto said:

I like those Northface or Columbia hiking shoe. Waterproof on top, good grip with anti-slipped on the bottom.

I like those too... but they're quite dear man...

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Too damn cold.

Went seoul few years back.
Bit marfan to keep taking care of kids. Their sensitive nose and skin issues...

I prefer high teens to low 20 degrees ha. 

Wah... like that I cannot travel to cold country for the next decade leh... ha ha...

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I am mid-40s.  

In younger days, very gungho go-to black route.  Fall like nobody business.  A lot of times kneecap got twisted badly.

Same same... but my kids less than 2 years old... I never had chance to try all these fancy winter sports lar... now old already cannot try already... also can't demo to my kids cos I also don't know how to do... like inline skating lar... ice skating lar... skiing lar... snowBoarding lar... I think only can bring them and let them play play only... ha ha ha... pretend only...

• Praise 2

Yeah don't get ripped off with Too good to be true pricing.

Never pay more than $6 for it.

:grin:

17 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Woah... pro leh... the last time we were on JungFrau we just walked on running shoes... but that was just a short while... thanks for the link... didn't know this 'Wish' is a legitimate online shopping platform... I always see some advertisement for it in one of my phone games with too good to be true pricing... so always highly suspicious of it...

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Being a Tropical person, we usually get the wrong clothing for winter holiday.

As winter jacket is very expensive, that's the 1st thing we try to save on.  Putting on multiple layers will take up a lot of luggage space.

I am a traditionist.  Accordingly, I have a woollen sweater as a middle layer (if the temperature drops below 0).  

Scarf and beanie is a must.

For shoe, I will just wear woollen socks and put heat pack.  Heck with how your feet feel.  As long as blood flows, you are safe.

I see... I guess you need it cos you lived in Beijing for 2 years... well worth it... I understand from a colleague that Beijing is bitterly cold... I can't understand why the Chinese want to shift their capital there centuries ago...

So for the casual visitor like myself, problem is pay for such an expensive coat already after the trip don't know what to do with it... so maybe more cost effective to wear 3 layers lor... thermals inside, woollen sweater in between and a cheaper down jacket outside... what do you think? I total novice...

17 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

You carried bridges (Bailey Bridge?) only knee problem and no back problem considered not bad liao! 

Now combat engineers only risk injuring their fingers pushing the buttons for the VLB! 

did mostly the MGB (Medium Girder Bridge), and only tried APB (spelt like acylo panal bridge) once as it was phased out already. We were tekan'ed badly to drill into us not to bend out back (and instead squat down) when carrying the bridging parts - to prevent back injuries.

when in armour, got the AVLB, but i was posted to other platoon...

• Praise 2

17 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I am mid-40s.  

you're not far behind. wise not to take risks.

A fren, who was captain of our team when we were playing soccer weekly, and who continued to get gold for IPPT till he didn't have to take anymore, told us when he was early/mid 40s, one day when leaving home, slipped and fell on void deck, and couldn't get up for a couple of min, just sitting there on the ground... heng not much ill effect after that... 😅

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, teomingern said:

Same same... but my kids less than 2 years old... I never had chance to try all these fancy winter sports lar... now old already cannot try already... also can't demo to my kids cos I also don't know how to do... like inline skating lar... ice skating lar... skiing lar... snowBoarding lar... I think only can bring them and let them play play only... ha ha ha... pretend only...

yah same here. apart from all these you mentioned, i didn't even dare/wanna try those roller coaster rides... been resisting going with the kids for years, until a few yr ago went disneyland, then wife said kids really wanted to go, then i LL went with them. 

• Haha! 1

I see... I guess you need it cos you lived in Beijing for 2 years... well worth it... I understand from a colleague that Beijing is bitterly cold... I can't understand why the Chinese want to shift their capital there centuries ago...

So for the casual visitor like myself, problem is pay for such an expensive coat already after the trip don't know what to do with it... so maybe more cost effective to wear 3 layers lor... thermals inside, woollen sweater in between and a cheaper down jacket outside... what do you think? I total novice...

I don't understand what your colleague said about it being bitterly cold.

The good thing about China is central heating.  All cities north of YangZhiJiang get Central Heating.  Usually, it starts from 2nd last week of November till late March next year.

If scare of cold can stay home always.  As Beijing barely snows (Once/twice in early winter & early spring), it is alright.

There is trade-off btw bring a lot of luggage and spent a lot of money.

My suggestion is to buy when you arrived in the destination.

We don't have good stores for winter clothing (incl. Uniqlo) except Moncier.

In addition, you can't gauge how your body will react to being a tropical person.

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

you're not far behind. wise not to take risks.

A fren, who was captain of our team when we were playing soccer weekly, and who continued to get gold for IPPT till he didn't have to take anymore, told us when he was early/mid 40s, one day when leaving home, slipped and fell on void deck, and couldn't get up for a couple of min, just sitting there on the ground... heng not much ill effect after that... 😅

2 Saturday ago, I had a fall in pathway full of algae while riding.  Other than blue-black, nothing else break

IMG_1742.jpg

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

this one actually have to ownself decide, see can get over yourself or not... i realised that to go on a trip to winter country experience snow, is a rather expensive exercise. Not counting the most expensive item - the jacket - the other stuff are also not cheap. The thermals will need at least 2 sets each, even if you're staying at hotels that have washing machines (which is important), then there is the winter pants, the tops, plus the scarfs, beanies, socks, shoes, etc... Easily each pax prepare to spend $400-600, as we found out... 

For the jacket, we went to the expo sales, and got something in the (they have different temp zones ones) coldest zone at about $120. We didn't want to be under-prepared, and didn't wanna get the most ex ones...

but on hindsight, if we could find lighter (but good) down jacket maybe in the region $160 or so, then that could have been worth getting - cos can carry lesser luggages and could then have squeezed into an alphard which would be much more comfortable...

• Praise 1

There is 1 critical thing that everyone doesn't know about winter is DRY WEATHER.

When arrived at the destination, go to a pharmacy to buy it.

Need cream with high shear butter, like L'Occitane.

Face cream like Innisfree is good.

• Praise 3

13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

2 Saturday ago, I had a fall in pathway full of algae while riding.  Other than blue-black, nothing else break

IMG_1742.jpg

wah why no maintenance there, so dangerous...

mai take risk lah... about 7-8 yr ago, one of my ex-staff's father passed away when he fell riding a bicycle. He was early/mid 50s... and i was told, a seasoned cyclist... 😓

↡ Advertisement