Rental of MPV and driving in Hokkaido during winter

Atrecord

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

snowing and cold like hell is what you want to experience going to hokkaido in dec ... lol

Exactly, last year when I was there during Christmas period. Weather was too warm, most of the time above 0 deg. So no snow and only rain. Make it worst. All the snow and ice start to melt on the road and everywhere and it became so messy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

17 hours ago, Tohto said:

Very normal to drive in the middle of the road where a path with less show and ice is created. 

Keep left when opposite car approaching.

OK. Centre of the 2-direction road got no physical road divider hor? Else cannot do this...

34 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

OK. Centre of the 2-direction road got no physical road divider hor? Else cannot do this...

Country road no.

Like Malaysia small road.

On highway normally they clear the snow much faster.

• Praise 2

On 12/8/2019 at 10:57 AM, Atrecord said:

everywhere is totally white and u cant see the road nor the traffic white lines.

What they install are guiding poles on your left and red coloured arrow pointers on lamp posts giving you a rough guide of the driving lanes.

once you are there and do the actual driving, you will learn and adapt.

As they always say......when in rome do what the romans do.😁

• Praise 3

On 12/10/2019 at 2:59 AM, Hiphiphoray said:

everywhere is totally white and u cant see the road nor the traffic white lines.

What they install are guiding poles on your left and red coloured arrow pointers on lamp posts giving you a rough guide of the driving lanes.

once you are there and do the actual driving, you will learn and adapt.

As they always say......when in rome do what the romans do.😁

I've been here in hokkaido for almost a week now. What an experience for first timer like myself. 

It snowed quite a bit, when we were not driving, luckily. On thur, Google said it was minus 11 deg, but we were already at this Rusutsu resort, where we stayed for 3 nights. 

Only experienced but snowing when driving so it wasn't too difficult. 

What was tough, and unexpected, was that there windscreen kept misting n fogging up when we were driving. Needed to use tissue paper to wipe the windscreen n windows like every 3-4 min 😓

Traffic was ok and I was going mostly at 40 to 60 on the first day, which became pitch dark quickly. On tbe way to lake toya n hakodate, people were going at 100 plus so I also went faster at about 80-90....

Today we're returning the van, and taking the train from hakodate to sapporo...

Oh, I'll talk more on the van later. That's frankly a disappointment...

• Praise 3

23 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

I've been here in hokkaido for almost a week now. What an experience for first timer like myself. 

It snowed quite a bit, when we were not driving, luckily. On thur, Google said it was minus 11 deg, but we were already at this Rusutsu resort, where we stayed for 3 nights. 

What was tough, and unexpected, was that there windscreen kept misting n fogging up when we were driving. Needed to use tissue paper to wipe the windscreen n windows like every 3-4 min 😓

Traffic was ok and I was going mostly at 40 to 60 on the first day, which became pitch dark quickly. On tbe way to lake toya n hakodate, people were going at 100 plus so I also went faster at about 80-90....

For driving in low Temperature with heater on.

Set the heater air to blow to the windscreen,  not only from the normal from aircon  vent, 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Van disappointment? Expected lah... you can't compare to Alphard or Estima

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Atrecord said:

use the front windscreen demister 

• Praise 2

8 hours ago, Atrecord said:

van? aiya. dun expect too much la

next yr end in pyeongchang rent a kia carnival - i tink i may suit ur family size n luggage needs

• Praise 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:07 AM, Tohto said:

For driving in low Temperature with heater on.

Set the heater air to blow to the windscreen,  not only from the normal from aircon  vent, 

Sigh... if only i had asked, you had replied, and i had read it - before my trip/drive...

Would have saved me lots of stress...

I thought if got hot air near windscreen, it will make it fog even worse! Didn't realise that that's actually the solution 😰

• Praise 1

On 12/15/2019 at 11:13 AM, t0y0ta said:

Van disappointment? Expected lah... you can't compare to Alphard or Estima

Yah, we were not expecting anything near the MPVs, but thought it would at least be like the passenger vans we see so much of. But it's much worse leh... super cramped for the passengers at the back. Lots of luggage space though...

• Praise 2

On 12/15/2019 at 4:42 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

use the front windscreen demister 

You meant select the aircon to blow at/from the vent below the windscreen right?

The van got no dedicated front windscreen demister switch leh...

On 12/15/2019 at 4:44 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

van? aiya. dun expect too much la

next yr end in pyeongchang rent a kia carnival - i tink i may suit ur family size n luggage needs

ha ha ha...

yah, i rented a carnival before last year when in nz. Yup, it's definitely do-able, i think.

In any case, if in Korea, there's always the big big iMax/Starex that confirm can swallow everything.

Wonder whether there will be any Jap car in Korea? Confirmed there's no korean car in jap...

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

Sigh... if only i had asked, you had replied, and i had read it - before my trip/drive...

Would have saved me lots of stress...

I thought if got hot air near windscreen, it will make it fog even worse! Didn't realise that that's actually the solution 😰

Yah. Next trip you will know.

I had driven in below freezing temperatures many time.

You don't even need to blow the air to the front, just blow to windscreen and after a while inside will be warm with comfortable temperature. 

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

ha ha ha...

yah, i rented a carnival before last year when in nz. Yup, it's definitely do-able, i think.

In any case, if in Korea, there's always the big big iMax/Starex that confirm can swallow everything.

Wonder whether there will be any Jap car in Korea? Confirmed there's no korean car in jap...

There are many many nice Korean car that you don't see here. Why need to get Japanese boring designs. 

Starmax can be very comfortable as a MPV.

• Praise 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, Carbon82 said:

Elgrand

img305.jpg

Frankly, I am not comfortable to see how the luggage were "secured", which is not secure at all!

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Yah, we were not expecting anything near the MPVs, but thought it would at least be like the passenger vans we see so much of. But it's much worse leh... super cramped for the passengers at the back. Lots of luggage space though...

Any pics?

You got HiAce right? 

HiAce interior should be rather spacious if you only have 5 passengers at the back (2 in the front seats)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1