Ford vs Ferrari movie discussion and review

therock

So I had a choice between this car movie and Midway and initially I had my misgivings about a car movie being exciting or being a big screen movie. I was wrong on both counts. 

This movie stars Matt Damon and Christopher Bale as Shelby and Miles the two people behind the true story of Ford racing against Ferrari in the Le Mans race. 

Firstly the two of them make a lovely bromance pair which fuels the tension between them and the bureaucrats running Ford, and Josh Lucas has the unenviable task of playing the chief suit who stands in their freewheeling ways. He does well as the sort of villain and the rest of the cast work well to portray the urgency, the humor and the thrill of racing. But it's about the time off the track especially the trials and tribulations of trying to put together a car worthy of challenging the mighty Enzo Ferrari that makes this more than just another racing show. 

The son and wife of Miles are actually my favorite characters. Their presence adds a certain subtle element that grounds the movie and fills in an important role to keep this about the human drama and elevates the whole movie to more than pit stops and engine roars. The choices of actors in this show are spot on. 

But petrol heads fear not, the subwoofers will be all pumping throughout the show whenever there's an ignition, acceleration or even when the engines are purring. You will not be starving for action here. 

But what Damon and Bale put together is a tale of friendship, a David vs Goliath, show in a way the Fast and Furious franchise miss out on.. you will still get your thrills and spills, but more than that, you get tears, laughter and heart stomping moments of victory whilst enjoying an era of danger and unbridled adrenaline rush with cars built for speed and not safety. I have a new found respect for Le Mans drivers and their teams. 

Highly recommended 

5D5BE616-1B07-461D-8218-62810C9CBBED.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Did you know :

they didn’t use CGI for the car scenes

the kids of the original racers came forward to act as racers in the show

the proposal for the Ferrari buyout took place over nine months, not one night

racers were really risking their lives.. the GT40 has fuel lines in the doors 

drivers carried a wrench to help them escape from the burning cars

no ABS or tech in these cars 

• Praise 5

I watched it. Loved it, but felt a bit sad at the end. I had thought the movie would end a bit before where it did, but it kinda was fitting.

Racing scenes wise, I did prefer Rush's to this, but it's good too. Always did like the looks of the GT40, but didn't know so much of the story til now. That said, the acting was good, and I always liked Bale's acting. Damon was great too.

• Praise 2

I did read about this story before I watched the show. I think the grand tour did a short film on this too. Can be found on Youtube. 

To me the "David" in the story is actually Ferrari cos they are the boutique car maker who make small volume cars while Ford is the "Goliath" who started mass production cars. Ford has the potential to make very good cars but they dont bother to. They are just complacent imo.

I think what made Enzo chose an European car maker instead of the American car maker is the way they operate. American car companies dont make good cars and it shows. It's largely due to their culture and how they run their companies. The real reason why Enzo took so long to read the contract I think it's because of this.

As for the cars the GT40 lack downforce in the front, something that is non existent in the past. The aerodynamics have yet to be discovered. Brakes cooling tech wasnt there too. That's why all cars then had brakes overheating issues and "brake-fade".

Ford had the finances to get the best people and best engine tech. Ferrari in finance trouble actually was struggling even with Fiat's backing. Enzo knew this and we know it's money that will win races. If Ferrari had their finances figured out Ford could probably be trying to catch up. But that's subjective and open to discussion.

Been reading more... that Beebe chap may seem like a bootlicker, but he was in the same tank as Ford II in WWII, so they have a strong bond... that may explain why?

Edited by therock

So I had a choice between this car movie and Midway and initially, I had my misgivings about a car movie being exciting or being a big screen. 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, loyalthomas said:

So I had a choice between this car movie and Midway and initially, I had my misgivings about a car apex game and the movie being exciting or being a big screen. 

↡ Advertisement