This Guy Added Rear Keyless Entry To A 2019 VW Golf R

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

This Guy Added Rear Keyless Entry To A 2019 VW Golf R!?!?!?!?!

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/382722/adding-rear-keyless-entry-golf/

An elegant solution to a simple problem.

Let's face it; sometimes we buy a brand new car based solely on all the little stuff that's added to a specific trim or equipment package. I mean, who doesn't want Apple CarPlay or Android Auto, or even cooling and heating front seats? It's the little things that can make us spend that extra bit more on a specific vehicle, even if getting the top spec means it's price is already getting dangerously close to a larger basic spec car. Heck, when I was shopping for a car, I specifically wanted LED headlights and keyless entry. Those two things alone made sure I went for one of the most expensive subcompact cars as a city runabout. But what happens when you think you have it all, only to find out that other markets that sell your same vehicle have that extra bit of convenience that you crave? Well, you find out a way to do it yourself. That's exactly what HumbleMechanic set out to do with his recently acquired Volkswagen Golf R. 

You see, there will be times that you want your keyless entry to go even further; unlocking the front doors and trunk are good, but what about the rear doors? There are times when our hands are full and we need to store stuff in the car, but not necessarily need the trunk, right? In HumbleMechanic's Golf R, the rear doors do not have a sensor that detects the hand of the user, but the Volkswagen Atlas does. Out of pure laziness, as he puts it, he went out to rectify this problem by providing an informative video guide, comprised of a ton of research and tinkering.  The goal is to retrofit the rear door sensors from the Atlas to the Golf. Heck, he even made his own harnesses to plug into the car's junctions, so it really isn't a plug-and-play thing you can order online.

Quite a ingenious solution to lazy ppl like me. I have a habit of throwing all my stuff at the rear seat too. Hahah.

↡ Advertisement

didnt read or click.

SO unlocking the front door does not unlock the rear door as well?

Meaning he only wants to touch the rear door handle to open to rear door? He does not want to touch the front door handle, move side-step to the rear door, and then open the rear door?

Internal Moderator
12 minutes ago, Jwee85 said:

didnt read or click.

SO unlocking the front door does not unlock the rear door as well?

Meaning he only wants to touch the rear door handle to open to rear door? He does not want to touch the front door handle, move side-step to the rear door, and then open the rear door?

I think this is purely for novelty and testing if the keyless entry can apply to the rear door not.

I find it quite cool for such a novelty. Especially when you are parents and you are carrying your kid to the rear seats, I think is quite mafan to do a two-step opening.before you can get your kid inside the car.

I dont get it. The distance between the front and rear doors is not far what. It's within an arm length. It's even easier for a small hatchback like Golf. And the way we park our cars is mostly we will reach the front car doors first. You get what I mean? Is it really a hassle?

All the so call novelty isnt free anyway. Whatever it is it will be extra cost added to the price tag. What I want is a car, the rest are not important. No wonder car makers have to come up with the mild hybrid system to cope with all the electrical demands for a car. It's getting stuffed with all the not needed "wants" from people.

12 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I dont get it. The distance between the front and rear doors is not far what. It's within an arm length. It's even easier for a small hatchback like Golf. And the way we park our cars is mostly we will reach the front car doors first. You get what I mean? Is it really a hassle?

All the so call novelty isnt free anyway. Whatever it is it will be extra cost added to the price tag. What I want is a car, the rest are not important. No wonder car makers have to come up with the mild hybrid system to cope with all the electrical demands for a car. It's getting stuffed with all the not needed "wants" from people.

I won't mind it. I think all doors keyless entry and lock is a useful feature. Whether i want to pay extra for it vs a usual 2 door keyless entry is another question.

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I won't mind it. I think all doors keyless entry and lock is a useful feature. Whether i want to pay extra for it vs a usual 2 door keyless entry is another question.

Isnt every sgporean the same? Ai pee, ai chee, ai tua liap nee?😂

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Just buy any premium conti instead of going through all that.

keyless for front and rear doors in the package

That right. Plus keyless boot opening and electric closing & locking from the tailgate