HDT Singapore Taxi second cab company equipped to respond to cardiac arrests

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

HDT Singapore Taxi second cab company equipped to respond to cardiac arrests

source: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hdt-singapore-taxi-second-cab-company-equipped-to-respond-to-cardiac-arrests-and-fire

fh-hdts-18.jpg?itok=Gg9YhDAJ&timestamp=1

SINGAPORE - HDT Singapore Taxi has become the second cab company to be equipped with automated external defibrillators (AED) that can be used in emergencies like cardiac arrests.

Sponsorship from the Singapore Heart Foundation (SHF) has allowed the firm to fit 50 of its electric-powered taxis with the portable device, which can send an electric shock to the heart to revive it during a cardiac arrest.

The cabs are also equipped with fire extinguishers and first aid kits.

Cabbies driving these taxis have been trained in life-saving skills such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and AED procedures, basic first aid and firefighting.

The HDT Singapore Taxi - Singapore Heart Foundation AED-on-Wheels programme was launched on Monday (Nov 18) at Kampung Admiralty.

The programme itself started in November 2015, when 100 SMRT taxis were equipped with AEDs.

Mr Amrin Amin, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Health and Home Affairs, said the move increases the pool of community first responders who would be "called upon to render assistance to others during emergencies".

He cited the SMRT take-up of the initiative, adding: "In the event of a cardiac arrest emergency, these SMRT taxi drivers can help to deliver the AED to the scene quickly, administer the AED or perform CPR. This improves the chances of survival for the victim."

The programme aims to buy time for those who suffer a heart attack, before Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers show up.

Participating cabbies will be alerted by the SCDF myResponder app to a cardiac arrest incident within a 1.5km radius of their taxi location.

SMRT taxi drivers had arrived on scene to assist in 149 cardiac arrest cases as at September this year.

HDT's senior manager of operations, Mr Leslie Ng, said if  a taxi has a passenger on board when an alert comes in, the driver will state that he is diverting to the incident.

Singapore Heart Foundation chairman Tan Huay Cheem said at the launch that there are around 1,800 cardiac arrest cases a year with 60 per cent involving mainly the elderly at home but that number may increase over time.

He said: "Heart attack is the main cause of cardiac arrest and an aging population naturally brings about a higher number of such incidents. So by making the AED available and accessible in all channels, we hope that every life can be saved."

HDT was set up here in 2016, and is Singapore's seventh taxi operator. It has around 120 drivers, all of whom have completed over 80 hours of training such as the SkillsFuture for Digital Workplace programme and courses for handling children and passengers with special needs.

Singapore's largest taxi operator is ComfortDelGro, which operates about 11,500 Comfort and CityCab taxis.

ComfortDelGro chief spokesman Tammy Tan told The Straits Times that the firm is "exploring the idea" of equipping its vehicles with AEDs.

Is this one of the USP for taxi company to compete with private hire nowadays?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I'd rather the teksi driver quickly drive the person to the nearest clinic or hospital than wasting time trying to figure out how to use the AED or use it wrongly

1 minute ago, Soya said:

I'd rather the teksi driver quickly drive the person to the nearest clinic or hospital than wasting time trying to figure out how to use the AED or use it wrongly

they are trained and certified lah....i have trained  a few batches of them in CPR/AED 

• Praise 4

12 minutes ago, RadX said:

they are trained and certified lah....i have trained  a few batches of them in CPR/AED 

Alamak....hantu trained? Conflict of interest sia....

Lol

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Soya said:

Alamak....hantu trained? Conflict of interest sia....

Lol

pssst...give coffin card....:a-rip:

Whoa, where are all those stuff going to fit in the taxi siah?

Taxi leh, hello? Not fast respond vehicle for scdf leh.

Pattern more than this badminton. Who's the indian chief? So many ideas. What cleaning day, and now this? The AED at my block I walk past everyday I dont even know how to use.

Taxi unker, it's either you sign on to become a paramedic or you continue to drive your taxi. Dont kay kiang and later dunno save or kill someone. What if the victim's family decide to sue the taxi company or taxi driver for doing the wrong thing who's going to be accountable?

Edited by Watwheels

I think is good initiative... Every minute saved is a potential life saved. 

But problem is..... Taxi drivers uncles themselves are the ones with highest risk of a cardiac arrest... So who save them? 😓

• Haha! 3

Good synergy. Teksi lau drive until cause heart attack in passenger, now can treat heart attack also. 😁

PHVs more likely to cause affairs of the heart now. Will they also have AEDs? 😝

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, RadX said:

You very easy to be trainer lah. No need dummy. See your beautiful face, heart attack already. 😂

• Haha! 5

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

I think is good initiative... Every minute saved is a potential life saved. 

But problem is..... Taxi drivers uncles themselves are the ones with highest risk of a cardiac arrest... So who save them? 😓

Ownself shock ownself

• Praise 1

there should be a device which connects to the taxi driver, it monitors heart beat and if necessary provides a jolt to keep him alive.

↡ Advertisement