S’pore Grab App Lets You Book Rides In Japan & The Middle East So Your Holiday Will Be A Breeze

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

grab-japan-middle-east.jpg

source: https://mustsharenews.com/grab-japan-middle-east/

S’pore Grab App Lets You Book Rides In Japan & The Middle East So Your Holiday Will Be A Breeze

Book Rides In Japan & The Middle East Using Your Current Grab App From 19 Nov

Planned an exotic trip this end-of-year holidays but worried about how to get around an unfamiliar country?

Well if you’re visiting Japan or a country in the Middle East, Grab has got you covered.

The company announced yesterday (18 Nov) that starting today (19 Nov), users in Singapore and the Philippines can book and pay for rides in Japan and the Middle East.

GRAB-JAPAN-MIDDLE-EAST.gif

Book & pay for rides in Japan & the Middle East

This new privilege covers 5 cities in Japan and 94 cities across 13 countries in the Middle East. You can see the full list in the table below:

grab-jp-arab-countries.jpg

Good thing is, the list includes major cities like Tokyo and Kyoto in Japan, as well as Dubai, Istanbul and Mecca in the Middle East.

GRAB-JAPAN-MIDDLE-EAST-2.jpg

Those intending to visit these popular destinations anytime soon will have peace of mind knowing that it’ll be easier to get around from one point to another.

How to book a Grab ride overseas

Of course, it isn’t as easy as simply booking and paying like you’re in Singapore.

GRAB-JAPAN-MIDDLE-EAST-3.jpg

You’ll need to prepare for your trip well in advance by ensuring that you have set up and verified your GrabPay Wallet. Make sure there’re enough credits inside!

Grab has partnered with JapanTaxi in Japan and Careem in the Middle East to provide the seamless service. You can still access everything via the Grab app, and book and pay for a ride via these 4 steps:

Tap on “Transport” to confirm your location upon arrival in Japan or the Middle East

Enter your pick-up and drop-off points

Choose your ride (rates will be in SGD)

Tap “Book Now”

Pretty neat isn’t it? Now you won’t have to install other countries’ taxi apps or hail a cab by the side of the road anymore. Yay for technology.

@Atrecord got grab at Sapporo, maybe can go Hokkaido also.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

if need to top up credits than easier to just use Japantaxi and pay with CC. 

But again in major Japan cities, there's not much issue hailing a taxi from the street. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

local japanese, especially those in tokyo,  seldom hail taxi because of the high cost.

is it going to be any cheaper riding with grab in tokyo?  or it mainly caters to cheaper cities like nagoya and okinawa  

56 minutes ago, Acemundo said:

local japanese, especially those in tokyo,  seldom hail taxi because of the high cost.

is it going to be any cheaper riding with grab in tokyo?  or it mainly caters to cheaper cities like nagoya and okinawa  

I checked their taxi app

for very short distance, I got it cheaper to travel by taxi (4 sharing)  than Take their mrt

34 minutes ago, Mustank said:

I checked their taxi app

for very short distance, I got it cheaper to travel by taxi (4 sharing)  than Take their mrt

How short is short?

7 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Like a few mrt stations 
3-4 stations 

That's not too bad. 3 station journey is ard 140yen/pax

Everytime go jeepun, I scare of taking cab. The teksi unker there dressed better than me...

Edited by Soya
  • Praise 1

Tokyo short distance is a fixed rate. if u travelling 2 or 3 ppl, quite worth it. But once you exceed the distance, the yens jump quite fast. 

But TBH, with the $$$ we are paying now for our local cab/grab rides, travelling by Taxi within Tokyo city, is not much more expensive for us. 

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Mustank said:

I checked their taxi app

oh ok, means sharing is probably worth it.  yesterday i googled and found that a short 3.7km ride is about yen1929 or s$24......would be very expensive ride for 1 pax but if 4 pax, would be about equivalent to singapore rates 

1 minute ago, Acemundo said:

oh ok, means sharing is probably worth it.  yesterday i googled and found that a short 3.7km ride is about yen1929 or s$24......would be very expensive ride for 1 pax but if 4 pax, would be about equivalent to singapore rates 

Hehe 

I never do before so I cannot guarantee sure work one ah

wait got 4 people surcharge 

or Japan teksi Lau don’t like short distance 4 people large laugge etc

• Praise 1

59 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Hehe 

I never do before so I cannot guarantee sure work one ah

wait got 4 people surcharge 

or Japan teksi Lau don’t like short distance 4 people large laugge etc

still i agree with @Soya

taxi fares there are about 3-4 times more expensive than singapore

1 minute ago, Acemundo said:

still i agree with @Soya

Their mrt also expensive mah

cannot compare like that

have to compare jap mrt with taxi

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Acemundo said:

still i agree with @Soya

Only expensive if you are using Taxis as a point to point means of transport, but in Japan, Taxis are used more like PMD. You take train to a main station, then you get on the cab to get to your final destination.

If count in SG funny funny peak period/late night surcharges, I didn't find Taxis in Japan that much more expensive. At least not until how ppl say liddat.

EG: Once, it was raining in Kyoto quite heavily and we were stranded in a big crowd waiting for a bus at the bus stop. Buses were too crowded to pick ppl up. Everyone else continued waiting, we just flagged a taxi down and left. Some tourist at the bus stop had the look like we were crazy due to all the stories they heard about expensive taxi fares, in the end our taxi fare also only around SGD$10+ for a 10 min ride back to our hotel. Don't tell me in SG heavy rain grab surge pricing is alot less. 

If it can help cut down travelling time or if you are travelling with a lot of suitcases, just take taxi, worth the $ instead of lugging around luggage up and down train stations. 

For reference:

Taking a taxi in Tokyo: How much will it cost?

Fares vary depending on where you are; taxis in Tokyo are a little more expensive than their counterparts in rural areas, but in general the base fare for the first 1.052km will range between S$4.77* and S$5.14*.

After that, the fare increases by S$1.00* every 237m, plus during waiting time—that’s when the taxi stands still due to traffic or if you ask them to wait.

Rates to ride a taxi in Tokyo actually came down in 2017—previously, base fares were closer to S$8.78* for 2km, then S$1.13* for every 280m thereafter. If you do the math, the new rates mean that short trips (under 6km or so) work out cheaper, but longer ones are actually a bit pricier.

When taking a taxi between 22:00 and 5:00, they will generally charge an additional 20% (SG is 50% after midnight) as a surcharge. Another surcharge may also be incurred when they have to take a tolled expressway.

*SG also has peak hours surcharge of 25%!*

• Praise 3

17 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

Only expensive if you are using Taxis as a point to point means of transport, but in Japan, Taxis are used more like PMD. You take train to a main station, then you get on the cab to get to your final destination.

If count in SG funny funny peak period/late night surcharges, I didn't find Taxis in Japan that much more expensive. At least not until how ppl say liddat.

EG: Once, it was raining in Kyoto quite heavily and we were stranded in a big crowd waiting for a bus at the bus stop. Buses were too crowded to pick ppl up. Everyone else continued waiting, we just flagged a taxi down and left. Some tourist at the bus stop had the look like we were crazy due to all the stories they heard about expensive taxi fares, in the end our taxi fare also only around SGD$10+ for a 10 min ride back to our hotel. Don't tell me in SG heavy rain grab surge pricing is alot less. 

If it can help cut down travelling time or if you are travelling with a lot of suitcases, just take taxi, worth the $ instead of lugging around luggage up and down train stations. 

For reference:

you have a point there......i think most people tell me in tokyo, not to take the taxi from airport to hotel, it will cost a bomb.  i think there is truth to this statement, partly because the distance from airport to tokyo city centre is much farther than singapore case and also in singapore, practically everyone takes taxi from airport to their hotel in the city centre.

i didn't realise it is that easy to get taxi during rainy weather in kyoto and that cheap too.  but i surmise kyoto should be cheaper than tokyo.  reason why i say so is i had earlier played searching for fares from shinjuku and shibuya and that is easily 3-4 times of more singapore fares during off peak hour.  in that search result, a short 3.7km ride costs about S$24 while it should cost maybe $6 in singapore, during off peak hours. 

↡ Advertisement