Bali 5D4N suggestions for a first timer!

BabyBlade

On 11/27/2019 at 1:57 PM, Ichibawa said:

I would opt for Ubud and Lembongan. Seminyak is like any resort we have in our neighboring countries. 

I would opt for Nusa Dua.

↡ Advertisement

On 11/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, BabyBlade said:

Thanks for the enlightenment! After reading more reviews, I've decided to go for Ubud. Since it's our first Bali trip we're gonna check off the touristy places first. Gonna stay at more budget villas as well since most of the time we'll be out.

I've also read about the Mt Batur hike where it doesn't matter if you're the fittest out of the group or not, if you have altitude sickness then good luck. Just not your day. I happen to fall under the group of people whose only form of exercising is walking 2,000 steps the entire day.

We'll do 3N Ubud and 1N Seminyak (on my last day). Looking through my activities, Ubud is closer to most of our planned places like the Sacred Monkey Forest, Tegallalang Rice Terrace, and for other packages like river rafting etc, our pickup time will be slightly later since we need lesser time for traveling.

Day 1
- Morning
- 🚕 to Ubud
- Lunch 🌮 @ Ubud 
- Ubud Art Market & Ubud Market
- Dinner 🥙
- 💤 early
- 2am Mt Batur 🌄 Trek!

Day 2
- By 10am should be back at Hotel
- 💤💤💤
- 2.30pm pickup: Cooking classes (3 hrs to 730pm)
- Cafe/bar hopping 🍻🥂🍹🍸

Day 3
- 8am/9am pickup: Ayung River 🚣‍♂🚣‍♀ Rafting! (4hrs should be done by 1pm)
- 💤💤💤
- 🥪🌮🌯🥙
- Sacred 🐒🐵 🌳
- Balinese Massage 
- Gianyar Night Market/Dinner
- 🍻🍷🍸🍹🥂

Day 4
- 1. Tegalalang Rice Terrace 📷📸
- 2.Tirta Empul Temple (6.9km away) 
- 3. Waterfall🌊
- Check out of our Ubud Hotel
- 🚕 to Seminyak
- Check in to Seminyak Hotel
- Shop around Seminyak
- Ku De Ta 🌭🥪🌮🌯🥙
- 🍷🍻🍦

Thinking of booking a guide to bring us around for the first 3 places so we save time on traveling. 

Day 5
- Chill at Potato Head Beach Club
- 🍵🍮🍰🍩
- Last min shopping
- Night

Anyone had experiences with booking a private guide/transport for like 3 to 4 hours to bring you around places?

Also, any affordable food/dessert recommendations?

Batur is nice. Went up with my wife and friends in 2007-2008. 

I think u should rest more man. They pick u up at about 2+am, then u will usually zzz a bit in the van until 3+ when u reach the huts. Then at about late 3+ to 4am, u start to ascend liao. Takes about 20-30mins of walking, then about 30mins of straight uphill. So about 1 hr to reach the peak, should be around 5am when u reach the peak. Then by the time sun rise, take ur time to come down is about 8+ in the morning depending on whether u explore the top area a bit. 

IMHO, Ubud is overrated and really only angmohs/hippies will like the place. Just a very normal indonesian village with a more bohemian/hippie culture. But it's close to Batur, so i would go there just for that. 

And yeah close to the rafting etc (which i didn't do).

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
21 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Batur is nice. Went up with my wife and friends in 2007-2008. 

I think u should rest more man. They pick u up at about 2+am, then u will usually zzz a bit in the van until 3+ when u reach the huts. Then at about late 3+ to 4am, u start to ascend liao. Takes about 20-30mins of walking, then about 30mins of straight uphill. So about 1 hr to reach the peak, should be around 5am when u reach the peak. Then by the time sun rise, take ur time to come down is about 8+ in the morning depending on whether u explore the top area a bit. 

IMHO, Ubud is overrated and really only angmohs/hippies will like the place. Just a very normal indonesian village with a more bohemian/hippie culture. But it's close to Batur, so i would go there just for that. 

And yeah close to the rafting etc (which i didn't do).

20-30 mins of walking, 30 mins straight uphill? You must be pretty fit! I've heard of 2 hours ish to reach the peak. That's maybe my timing, if I do make it up. I'm all prepared to stop halfway if my legs fail me. Or pay for a motorbike ride up mid way if the legs fail haha.

My first Bali trip. Chose Ubud because of our activities. There's too much to explore 1 trip to Bali won't be sufficient.

Internal Moderator
On 12/1/2019 at 6:25 PM, Discoburg said:

I would opt for Nusa Dua.

Too many options. Settled for Ubud this time. Flight and accommodation settled!

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
On 11/22/2019 at 3:10 PM, Strat said:

For Tegalalang Rice Terrace , - Tirta Empul Temple (6.9km away) and waterfall

Maybe you ask for package which includes sending you to Seminyak

you can put the luggage in the car and you will have more time as well

for food in Ubud, you can try  Warung Babi Guling Ibu Oka 3, (for pork), Naughty Nur's for Pork ribs, Cloud Nine (Korean food),  Melting Wok .

if got time, can try Campuhan Ridge Walk in the morning or evening time.

By the way, you can use Klook to book a ride from airport to Ubud as usually it is cheaper.

Our airbnb is quoting us about USD 25 from airport to Ubud. That's about 350k rupiah. What do you think?

3 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

20-30 mins of walking, 30 mins straight uphill? You must be pretty fit! I've heard of 2 hours ish to reach the peak. That's maybe my timing, if I do make it up. I'm all prepared to stop halfway if my legs fail me. Or pay for a motorbike ride up mid way if the legs fail haha.

My first Bali trip. Chose Ubud because of our activities. There's too much to explore 1 trip to Bali won't be sufficient.

No lah. The first part is just an easy trail to the steep part. The steep part is not very long. About 30-40 mins max. I'm not fit. Kept my wife company. My friend and his wife went ahead. 

It's bit tiring for a while but it's cool weather 

My wife had jelly legs on her way down (guide had to help her down cos her quads just no strength

she wasn't really fit at all. She couldn't climb stairs again for the rest of the trip. So if she can do it anyone who isn't like super out of shape can one lah. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Our airbnb is quoting us about USD 25 from airport to Ubud. That's about 350k rupiah. What do you think?

There are websites for shuttle services and links to driver numbers on TripAdvisor. Or your friends who go regularly might have them too. 

Ubud is 60-70 min away from the airport. 

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

No lah. The first part is just an easy trail to the steep part. The steep part is not very long. About 30-40 mins max. I'm not fit. Kept my wife company. My friend and his wife went ahead. 

It's bit tiring for a while but it's cool weather 

My wife had jelly legs on her way down (guide had to help her down cos her quads just no strength

she wasn't really fit at all. She couldn't climb stairs again for the rest of the trip. So if she can do it anyone who isn't like super out of shape can one lah. 

Heard the steep part is super sandy, rocky, slippery? What gears did you hiked up with? Hiking shoes, windbreaker a necessity? I'm even thinking of getting a head lamp from Decathlon so I can be hands-free. You're the first person who made the hike up and down sound pretty ok. The rest of the reviews I've read just made the MT Batur hike intimidating.

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Heard the steep part is super sandy, rocky, slippery? What gears did you hiked up with? Hiking shoes, windbreaker a necessity? I'm even thinking of getting a head lamp from Decathlon so I can be hands-free. You're the first person who made the hike up and down sound pretty ok. The rest of the reviews I've read just made the MT Batur hike intimidating.

I've gone up Pu Chi Fa (Chiang Rai, Thailand) before sunrise. I had both a headlamp and a handheld flash light, cos I didn't know what to expect. In the end, the headlamp was a godsend and I didn't hv to use the handheld at all.

I didn't get one of those high-end trekking headlamps; Just a cheap one which I had in my car anyway. It didn't have a long range but sufficient for following a clear trail. I guess it would be even more useful for longer uphill climbs. Just be sure to point it slightly down n be aware of not shining at other people face.

I can't speak for Mt Batur (I lived in Indo for quite a few years but never went Bali before LOL) but generally speaking, proper shoes (as opposed to sandals/flipflops) will be better esp since climbing in the dark on uneven terrain. Windbreaker will depend on wind strength and how long u wait up there on the exposed summit. No harm bringing a lightweight one. I also had a beanie when I went Pu Chi Fa, which is lower than Batur. I put on the beanie at the summit while waiting for sunrise.  

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, Adrianli said:

And watchout for those moneychanger magic tricks. Always personally count the money in front of them by yourself and not by them.

agreed. My friend kena con at Bali. Have it count it immediately at the counter window in front of them. Not walk away then count then... eh.... missing a few notes

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

My climb was dry. Traction was OK.

Its sandy and rocky, so regular shoes are fine but make sure sole not worn out and it's a shoe with proper thread patterns. Like I won't wear my Nike free up.

It's like climbing up a rocky hill but the trail is well defined. Some parts are like a long gully type of staircase going up with "steps" maybe 2-2.5 times the height of regular steps. 

Just wore a hoodie jacket on top of my tee and jeans. Windbreaker top and bottom should be fine. Or a sweatshirt on top of your tee. U will  sweat during the steeper climb. The peak is a bit cold but should be OK bah high tens at worst. I remember I gave my hoodie to my wife and was just wearing a t shirt at the top. 

Relax... It's really not a difficult climb. There's a decent amount of time to pace yourself. As long as you don't have knee problems, I think it's very doable. My friend and his wife made it up probably like 8-10 mins faster than me and my wife.

Really don't worry. My wife didn't exercise one. Also managed to go up (though her quads was shot at the end). 

Hmm I probably will bring my children go up when they are old enough. It's a good view. And if u are lucky u can see the stars cos there's low light pollution before the climb. It's the only time I've seen it. 

Headlamp would be good. But not absolutely necessary. I used hp torch at some times if I recall. But the climb got q a lot of people one lah. Can usually see what's going on. If just few of you, u will have a guide along anyway. Provided u can keep up with the guide at a reasonable pace. 

Edited by Lala81

4 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

agreed. My friend kena con at Bali. Have it count it immediately at the counter window in front of them. Not walk away then count then... eh.... missing a few notes

My friend got cheated by their magic calculator. Give different answer ... Never change money in bali... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1