Can WD-40 restore your wiper blades ?

carloverguy2017

I don't know if those viral youtube and facebook video are right about WD-40 restoring wiper blades.

But if you want to know what I did and whether it succeed, watch the real life cheap on budget wiper restoration video HERE !

I have no clue how long this wiper blade was on my car as this car is 11 years old. 
The previous own probably replaced it during his ownership but pretty sure in the past 1 year I had not taken good care of this rear wiper.

So if you have success or failure stories of wiper blade restoration, do share !

WD40.thumb.jpg.f677909e4b90d1948a95876decb730f4.jpg

Edited by carloverguy2017
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I would probably say that the WD-40 isn't restoring the blades, it's probably just cleaning the blade, just like cleaning it with alcohol wipes. 

• Praise 5

Wiper are wear and tear items.. change when necessary.. and it is affordable..

for me honestly i never change wiper before for all my cars.. mileage too low and i hardly go out when rain.. 🤣

another things is I never use wiper to clean dirty windscreen.. guess this is the killer as the dirt are stuck to the glass and such action caused abrasion. Even you use the wiper spray not going to provide sufficient lubrication.

• Praise 3

WD40 will leave greasy residue behind, even if you buy their silicon spray version. Not a good idea at all. 

Go buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol from pharmacy (those meant to clean wounds), apply the alcohol to a micro fiber cloth and then clean the rubber blades in ONE direction only. To n fro will make sure the embedded dirt gets dragged back into the rubber again  Repeat the cleaning till your cloth doesn't show any dirt after your pass over the rubber blade.

But seriously with our insane hot and humid weather, no rubber can last long, branded or not. 6 months is the norm if you park your car under the sun everyday. Even indoor parking... 8-10 mths is the max 

• Praise 3

We use wd40 to remove bolt and nut that's rusted and jam shut. It's a solvent that is used to clean metal surface be it grease or rust. No lah. I wouldnt recommend using chemicals on rubber. This is a cleaning agent. Imagine what it will do to the rubber long term.

Just use water to clean the contact surface be it the rubber surface and the glass surface.

I can understand where these ppl are coming from. When it rains the spray from the cars in front of yours can bring up the oil and contaminants from the tarmac surface. The WD40 will remove the oil but exposing the rubber to the solvent will also risk destroying the wiper.

It's just like you are using detergent that's catered to wash the floor or wash the toilet but you dont use it to shower your body.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Using alcohol wipe or mild detergent be it on wiper rubber, washer tank or windscreen is actually not recommended. 

Alcohol wipe cleans and dries up the area (that's why we use it to clean surface area to prep for adhesive) and mainly remove impurities. By doing so, the wiper rubber dries up and cracks even more easily than without doing anything to it. 

The classic problem others have is wipers juddering. This is caused by dried up windscreen and wiper blades caused by usage of detergent and wiper washer (soapy base). That is why after using cleaning agent wash car, your windscreen is queaky clean (like rubbing your finger on a porcelain plate after using mama lemon).

The proper way is to use windscreen cleaning agent (those abrasive cream type) and sponge sandpaper to buff clean your windscreen and/or change wiper rubbers/blade. 

Actually I feel that using WD-40 might help. If you are aware, WD-40 is actually fish-oil like base. This actually cleans and lubricates the wiper rubber. Long long time ago when I started driving and my wipers juddered, my friend actually use a tissue paper and dip with brake fluid and runs it through my wiper rubbers. It actually works the juddering is gone. But it would not last long and could be used as a temporary quick fix though.

Btw, I watched the video using my ear buds and they now hurts due to the squeaking. 🤣

Cheers.

Edited by Wormee
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

44 minutes ago, GohWeeKia said:

Using mild detergent like dish washing liquid might help. I usually also put some into the wiper washer tank.

There goes your paintwork bro. 

Always use proper wiper fluid, be it concentrate or pre mixed. Never use any mama lemon ah

4 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

I would probably say that the WD-40 isn't restoring the blades, it's probably just cleaning the blade, just like cleaning it with alcohol wipes. 

good to clean with alcohol wipes? 

2 hours ago, Wormee said:

Using alcohol wipe or mild detergent be it on wiper rubber, washer tank or windscreen is actually not recommended. 

Alcohol wipe cleans and dries up the area (that's why we use it to clean surface area to prep for adhesive) and mainly remove impurities. By doing so, the wiper rubber dries up and cracks even more easily than without doing anything to it. 

The classic problem others have is wipers juddering. This is caused by dried up windscreen and wiper blades caused by usage of detergent and wiper washer (soapy base). That is why after using cleaning agent wash car, your windscreen is queaky clean (like rubbing your finger on a porcelain plate after using mama lemon).

The proper way is to use windscreen cleaning agent (those abrasive cream type) and sponge sandpaper to buff clean your windscreen and/or change wiper rubbers/blade. 

Actually I feel that using WD-40 might help. If you are aware, WD-40 is actually fish-oil like base. This actually cleans and lubricates the wiper rubber. Long long time ago when I started driving and my wipers juddered, my friend actually use a tissue paper and dip with brake fluid and runs it through my wiper rubbers. It actually works the juddering is gone. But it would not last long and could be used as a temporary quick fix though.

Btw, I watched the video using my ear buds and they now hurts due to the squeaking. 🤣

Cheers.

I clean it with alcohol wipes every couple of months to keep the blades clean.  If you're cleaning on a daily basis (why?), then I can understand the logic.  However, once in a while will have limited effect on the rubber itself.

Besides, it's not like wiper blades are particularly expensive.  Even Autobacs (who are $$$) sell a set of high-end Bosch Aerotwins for <$50.  Heck, even AD's sell them for $30.  I've even literally seen wiper blades sell for $1.80 in those hardware stores around bedok.  If the blades start degrading, I'm perfectly fine to buy new ones and installation takes all of 3 minutes.  Given how expensive car ownership is in SG, this "money saving" tip is somewhat hilarious in the context of it all.

I had a windscreen juddering problem not long ago.  For me, it was due to using glass sealants like Rainx.  I applied too much, too regularly.  As I learned, Rainx and other sealants are extremely hard to get rid of once applied.  I tried, dishwashing liquid, alcohol wipes, clay bar, 70% IPA mix and it still stayed on.  In the end, I had to use RainX X-treme clean, and polish the windscreen for a good 30 minutes, to resolve the issue.  It's an extremely good business model that you sell me a product to apply to my windscreen, then sell me the product to remove that product from my windscreen.

I wouldn't recommend wasting your time on applying WD-40 to your wipers if you have juddering.  It's 90% chance got nothing to do with the wipers and more to do with the windscreen.  Just buy a glass polisher, and polish the hell out of the windscreen.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, GTO-1 said:

I clean it with alcohol wipes every couple of months to keep the blades clean.  If you're cleaning on a daily basis (why?), then I can understand the logic.  However, once in a while will have limited effect on the rubber itself.

Besides, it's not like wiper blades are particularly expensive.  Even Autobacs (who are $$$) sell a set of high-end Bosch Aerotwins for <$50.  Heck, even AD's sell them for $30.  I've even literally seen wiper blades sell for $1.80 in those hardware stores around bedok.  If the blades start degrading, I'm perfectly fine to buy new ones and installation takes all of 3 minutes.  Given how expensive car ownership is in SG, this "money saving" tip is somewhat hilarious in the context of it all.

I had a windscreen juddering problem not long ago.  For me, it was due to using glass sealants like Rainx.  I applied too much, too regularly.  As I learned, Rainx and other sealants are extremely hard to get rid of once applied.  I tried, dishwashing liquid, alcohol wipes, clay bar, 70% IPA mix and it still stayed on.  In the end, I had to use RainX X-treme clean, and polish the windscreen for a good 30 minutes, to resolve the issue.  It's an extremely good business model that you sell me a product to apply to my windscreen, then sell me the product to remove that product from my windscreen.

I wouldn't recommend wasting your time on applying WD-40 to your wipers if you have juddering.  It's 90% chance got nothing to do with the wipers and more to do with the windscreen.  Just buy a glass polisher, and polish the hell out of the windscreen.

I swear by this... No me not promoting Meguiars products la, just a satisfied customer for the last 2 yrs. It is not cheap though. But one bottle can last you for over a year since you don't need to use every car wash

https://www.meguiars.com.sg/car-care/car-care-clean-prep?product_id=241

10 hours ago, Wormee said:

Cheers.

I believe WD40 and similarly the more corrosive brake fluids did is to expand and soften the rubber. Just like steering pump rescue fluid that claims to seal leaking seals .
What these solution does is it soaks and penetrates into the rubber and soften it. As rubber softens, it expands and seal up the leaking gaps.
As for wiper blade, it probably softens the rubber and hence when you wipe, there is lesser of a gap between the rubber and the wind screen surface, thus streaks are reduced.
Although I would recommend ( as in what I mentioned in the video ) to just replace with a new wiper to solve the problem. 
What I did was to experiment and hopefully proof or debunk the myth or tips, whichever point of view we wish to look at.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:47 AM, Cheefarn said:

WD40 will leave greasy residue behind, even if you buy their silicon spray version. Not a good idea at all. 

Go buy a bottle of rubbing alcohol from pharmacy (those meant to clean wounds), apply the alcohol to a micro fiber cloth and then clean the rubber blades in ONE direction only. To n fro will make sure the embedded dirt gets dragged back into the rubber again  Repeat the cleaning till your cloth doesn't show any dirt after your pass over the rubber blade.

But seriously with our insane hot and humid weather, no rubber can last long, branded or not. 6 months is the norm if you park your car under the sun everyday. Even indoor parking... 8-10 mths is the max 

I clean my wiper blades weekly and they still work fine after 24 mths. Car is parked indoors.

On 12/13/2019 at 12:49 AM, Vinceng said:

I clean my wiper blades weekly and they still work fine after 24 mths. Car is parked indoors.

clean with wD40?

On 12/13/2019 at 12:49 AM, Vinceng said:

I think parking under shelter makes a big different, my blades also lasted for a long time previously when I parked my car in the basement, and I dont even clean them. But now under hot sun all day long, the wipers last for about a year only. 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement