2020 5th Generation Honda City

Zxcvb

My conspiracy theory mind is thinking that the car makers will try and push their prices up, make their cars a little more 'upmarket'.. and see if buyers will bite.

Selling the budget car isn't the model most makers want.

So the Civic is just a bit more ex for a bit more sheet metal, but with less safety features... you choose what you want. Space / safety....

↡ Advertisement

35 minutes ago, therock said:

My conspiracy theory mind is thinking that the car makers will try and push their prices up, make their cars a little more 'upmarket'.. and see if buyers will bite.

Selling the budget car isn't the model most makers want.

So the Civic is just a bit more ex for a bit more sheet metal, but with less safety features... you choose what you want. Space / safety....

I find city and civic is consider different class le, the price between these two cars if the gap is too close, dont know if the marketing strategy is right? Even civic in terms of safety features maybe lesser than city? Same theory like civic and accord also cannot be the pricing is too close lo.

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

Definitely. People can also buy the civic which i think pricing also around $99k?

Ah thats true ah! So we should compare the Civic to the Altis... Maybe if COE drop a few years time can consider these two!

Actually it is strange that Singapore dealer does not have a wider price difference between the City and the Civic.

In Thailand (which is where the City and Civic are built) there are 4 models of City (all 1.0 turbo) selling for B580,000 to B739,000 whereas the Civic (1.8 only, 1.6 not available, and not looking at turbo which is more expensive) sells for B874,000 to B964,000. A well-specced City VS with leather seats is B665,000, noticeably more affordable than the cheapest Civic.

That a new model should be more expensive is not borne out in the Thai market.

Similarly for Toyota, the Yaris Ativ (4 door Yaris, newer, cheaper version and rumoured replacement of Vios) sells for B539,000 to B674,000 whereas the Corolla 1.6 (not looking at the hybrid which is more expensive) sells for B834,000 to B939,000.

So it would be interesting to see how many City sales there are in Singapore.

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Mooose said:

Actually it is strange that Singapore dealer does not have a wider price difference between the City and the Civic.

In Thailand (which is where the City and Civic are built) there are 4 models of City (all 1.0 turbo) selling for B580,000 to B739,000 whereas the Civic (1.8 only, 1.6 not available, and not looking at turbo which is more expensive) sells for B874,000 to B964,000. A well-specced City VS with leather seats is B665,000, noticeably more affordable than the cheapest Civic.

That a new model should be more expensive is not borne out in the Thai market.

Similarly for Toyota, the Yaris Ativ (4 door Yaris, newer, cheaper version and rumoured replacement of Vios) sells for B539,000 to B674,000 whereas the Corolla 1.6 (not looking at the hybrid which is more expensive) sells for B834,000 to B939,000.

So it would be interesting to see how many City sales there are in Singapore.

You should put in brackets what is the sgd for us to understand

12 hours ago, james1055 said:

Agree with you, kind of over price due to new model, furthermore it is made in Thailand . Features wise also limited as compared to Avante S. For that price, i think go for Avante better.

exactly. as most mentioned the price gap between City & Civic is so near. I believe Avante in future will no longer be marketed as a b&b car. it also has a conti-like feel and design to it. i foresee maybe next face-lifted avante is going to break into 110-120k range(assuming 30k Coe). point being, we all can roughly see the marketing strategy for Avante going forward.

But City design is still appearing on the outward as a budget car. my opinion is the marketing strategy for City is all wrong.
with 95k price range i doubt anyone will actually buy this car when there are much better alternatives. 

very curious to see the sales figure for this City.

• Praise 1

Haha this thread is starting to remind me of the earlier posts in the Vios thread where people were all puzzled what on earth BM is doing with pricing the Vios so ex and seeing so few of them on the road... Now again with the overpriced City Kah Motor is doing something we all cant understand =X

59 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

You should put in brackets what is the sgd for us to understand

No la haha, irrespective of the exchange rate, it just illustrates that Yaris Ativ and City sell for B500000+ to B600000+ and Altis and Civic sell for B800000+ to B900000+, to see the different price range of the two.

Anyway 1 SGD is about B23, so the City prices are about SGD26,000 and Civic about SGD37,000.

15 minutes ago, Mooose said:

No la haha, irrespective of the exchange rate, it just illustrates that Yaris Ativ and City sell for B500000+ to B600000+ and Altis and Civic sell for B800000+ to B900000+, to see the different price range of the two.

Anyway 1 SGD is about B23, so the City prices are about SGD26,000 and Civic about SGD37,000.

Ah so in thailand price difference is 10k between city and civic, and in sg is 5k =D

Just now, yellowshaun said:

Ah so in thailand price difference is 10k between city and civic, and in sg is 5k =D

Actually should not look at dollar difference but % difference .. the Civic/Altis is at least about 30% more expensive than City/Yaris Ativ.

• Praise 1

Wah.  Less than $90k.  Now must think hard.  How much lower can the price go?  If it goes down $3k after four months will be great but it also means i have four months of depreciation plus car installments to pay which makes it not so worth it.....

Thinking very hard now.....

Screenshot_20201008-140246_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Serious means take out wallet and hand me deposit?

:grin:

Serious means I check the website and look seriously.  Not just for giggles.

Super serious is when i stand outside bank and think.  Phase one is i stand outside. Phase two is when I queue up. 

Super super serious is when I get my cashier order out cos if I never use it there is service charge.

Confirm is when I hand the cashier order over

So i am in first step.

5 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Serious means I check the website and look seriously.  Not just for giggles.

Super serious is when i stand outside bank and think.  Phase one is i stand outside. Phase two is when I queue up. 

Super super serious is when I get my cashier order out cos if I never use it there is service charge.

Confirm is when I hand the cashier order over

So i am in first step.

Wah still so many steps to take.

:grin:

image.png.3188ab0cb643b7272be2e6951990eb29.png

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Wah.  Less than $90k.  Now must think hard.  How much lower can the price go?  If it goes down $3k after four months will be great but it also means i have four months of depreciation plus car installments to pay which makes it not so worth it.....

Thinking very hard now.....

Screenshot_20201008-140246_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are you looking at the SV or RS? and whats the difference between the LX and non LX? 

39 minutes ago, Magfocus said:

whats the difference between the LX and non LX?

LX comes with more servicing. My SE said better to wait for roadshow to buy servicing package. =D

↡ Advertisement