Facebook instructed by POFMA Office to publish correction notice

Wind30

This is very interesting.

There were two incidents that convinced me how to vote in the next election, the way our president was elected and the fake news law.

What is our government going to do if facebook decide against the correction? Are they going to hurt our economy by going hard against facebook? Singapore as a small country needs to be as open as possible. To me, the government can always publish their rebuttals but to force the other party to shut up is way too much. It reminds me of china... 

I remember their justification for the fake news law was that sometimes it is time sensitive to prevent news from going viral, people getting hurt. Is this instance really the right way to use the new law? 

It is just stupid trying to force a showdown with facebook over this states times review which I never heard off until our government try to shut it down. 

To me, these two incidents, president elections and fake news law, are the clearest incidents where I feel the good of the country is sacrificed for political needs. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/states-times-review-fake-news-pofma-facebook-correction-12136996

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/states-times-review-pofma-facebook-post-fake-news-shanmugam-12133420

Facebook complied but putting a link at the bottom. I think that is a pretty fair outcome.

singapore wanted them to put the correction notice on the top of the post.

i think the government realised how stupid their law is as in reality u can never takedown fake news. 

It’s much better to do clarifications... if the public don’t trust u, it points to a more serious problem. This way, there is a incentive for the government to build trusts with the people.

I bet the state times review Facebook page hits shot through the roof. So many other articles there... are they going to correct every post. If they never correct, does it mean the other posts are true news??

i think this stupid fake news law really need to be used rarely and cleverly. Not like this.

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2

10 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/states-times-review-pofma-facebook-post-fake-news-shanmugam-12133420

Facebook complied but putting a link at the bottom. I think that is a pretty fair outcome.

i think the government realised how stupid their law is as in reality I can never takedown fake news.

It’s much better to do clarifications... if the public don’t trust u, it points to a more serious problem. This way, there is a incentive for the government to build trusts with the people.

A check by CNA on the States Times Review Facebook page at 5pm on Thursday found that the post was still up. No correction notice had been added to the post. A post on the page on Thursday morning said that States Times Review and its editor "will not comply with any order from a foreign government". 

Straits Times Review repost his article in Twitter, Google and Linkedin.

• Haha! 2

24 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Can ban/block or fine fb?

can do what they do to magazine like far eastern review, or whatever, limit their circulation number.

or in the case of fb, intermittently block their website. but it'll probably hurt pap members with fb website. LOL. shooting yourself in the foot.

• Haha! 2

47 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

can do what they do to magazine like far eastern review, or whatever, limit their circulation number.

or in the case of fb, intermittently block their website. but it'll probably hurt pap members with fb website. LOL. shooting yourself in the foot.

Hahaha.... Stupid law

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Luckily it is Shanmugam that decides the truth. 

There supposed to be the warning message

7FD0E396-1467-41A9-98CB-630D22706B0E.thumb.jpeg.418a41e5f4ab67b14781526ca3b59656.jpeg

It’s not there now

Edited by Davidtch

Actually, why does the gahmen alone get what is essentially a right of reply on a privately (overseas some more) owned medium? 

If some entity doesn't agree with what a gahmen linked person or entity is saying about them, can also use POFMA? 

If not, isn't it extremely one sided?

• Praise 3

32 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Actually, why does the gahmen alone get what is essentially a right of reply on a privately (overseas some more) owned medium? 

If some entity doesn't agree with what a gahmen linked person or entity is saying about them, can also use POFMA? 

If not, isn't it extremely one sided?

The USA continue to accuse Singapore of many unsavory issues. Never see Singapore taking this up with any international agencies.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Davidtch said:

There supposed to be the warning message

7FD0E396-1467-41A9-98CB-630D22706B0E.thumb.jpeg.418a41e5f4ab67b14781526ca3b59656.jpeg

It’s not there now

Will G go after FB?  😛  I hope they will stand steadfast against Mark Zuckerberg and ban FB in Singapore, the land of the truths, nothing but the truth. Wahaha...

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

The USA continue to accuse Singapore of many unsavory issues. Never see Singapore taking this up with any international agencies.

Big, mean bullies always prove to be cowards in the face of bigger, meaner bullies.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3