Facebook instructed by POFMA Office to publish correction notice

Wind30

If someone with Facebook post this statement on FB:

"The president is Indian" 

And if POFMA is not used by G to ask it to be taken down... Does it mean that it is the truth? Confirmed? 😏

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

53 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

If someone with Facebook post this statement on FB:

"The president is Indian" 

And if POFMA is not used by G to ask it to be taken down... Does it mean that it is the truth? Confirmed? 😏

What if Govt order you to publish the correction notice in a specified way in a particular newspaper or print publication with a presence in Singapore—and make you pay for it.

Like that you will help to boost SPH revenue hor

• Haha! 1

15 hours ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/states-times-review-pofma-facebook-post-fake-news-shanmugam-12133420

Facebook complied but putting a link at the bottom. I think that is a pretty fair outcome.

singapore wanted them to put the correction notice on the top of the post.

i think the government realised how stupid their law is as in reality u can never takedown fake news. 

It’s much better to do clarifications... if the public don’t trust u, it points to a more serious problem. This way, there is a incentive for the government to build trusts with the people.

I bet the state times review Facebook page hits shot through the roof. So many other articles there... are they going to correct every post. If they never correct, does it mean the other posts are true news??

i think this stupid fake news law really need to be used rarely and cleverly. Not like this.

This illustrates how US freedom of speech and their various organisations work when dealing with foes and friends. So, it is never about their principles or beliefs. It is about economic values to US. Therefore, those still sleeping better wake up. 

16 hours ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/states-times-review-pofma-facebook-post-fake-news-shanmugam-12133420

i think the government realised how stupid their law is as in reality u can never takedown fake news. 

It’s much better to do clarifications... if the public don’t trust u, it points to a more serious problem. This way, there is a incentive for the government to build trusts with the people.

I bet the state times review Facebook page hits shot through the roof. So many other articles there... are they going to correct every post. If they never correct, does it mean the other posts are true news??

i think this stupid fake news law really need to be used rarely and cleverly. Not like this.

I am guessing that it is precisely because of the loss of trust that POFMA was enacted... And yes, I agree with you that it would create more confusion if many other articles are not ordered to be taken down or corrected on other social media.

@Davidtch initially I thought you were joking but when I just check, the footnotes are really gone. 

HD9eJSD.jpg

And I am so naive to think that China is the only place I would need to use VPN... 

wIZKr6R.jpg

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

They need to come up with a better way to deal with fake news.. just look at the recent HK riots.. social media have been reporting police brutality for example, but skipped many key info why it led to that event.

In my opinion we should not allow ourselves to get into that situation that fake news is left unchecked.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Solar said:

They need to come up with a better way to deal with fake news.. just look at the recent HK riots.. social media have been reporting police brutality for example, but skipped many key info why it led to that event.

In my opinion we should not allow ourselves to get into that situation that fake news is left unchecked.

I read HK news from newspaper. I read both sides of the news.

Police brutality is NOT fake news.

It was brought to the attention of court judges when these rioters was charged in court.

Edited by Davidtch
  • Praise 2

1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

I also read and saw video of hk police being beaten up.. what’s important is the prequel to the episode that resulted in that event..

There are also a lot of rumors about police brutality in 新屋嶺。It’s not verified.

43 minutes ago, Solar said:

The best way to deal with fake news is to prove it with hard evidences else it is basically WOT between the various parties. I remember I cited the NKF case in the POFMA thread, that if the stronger party is withholding information and claim victim, is it still a fake news per se? 

34 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

@Carbon82 I thought only https://www.playboy.com Kenna blocked. Need VPN for that.

I have lifetime membership for VPN

I am referring to normal news related website lah... 😅

31 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I doubt @Carbon82 has that many kangtao to such adult entertainment site

Look like I must pm you for kangtao liao... 😋

• Praise 8

19 hours ago, Davidtch said:

Straits Times Review repost his article in Twitter, Google and Linkedin.

Fb DGAF basically

(edited)

Actually this have real implications on our economy. I think it is really stupid to go after this states times review by going after Facebook. He reposted on Google twitter. Is pap going to go after all of them??
If the government go harder on Facebook, I am more convinced that they are trading off Singapore economy wellbeing just for ... I am not sure what did pap gain out of this episode. 
just a stupid move on pap part. 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement