Facebook instructed by POFMA Office to publish correction notice

Wind30

51 minutes ago, Rm2s said:

In my opinion FB will not forgo advertising dollars (earned from Singaporean companies) for the sake of "protecting" that one user who has a history of writing articles with a heavy slant against a particular party in SG.

I recall (and I might be wrong) FB's VP (of something) was against the fake news law here and didn't want to commit to removing fake news during one of the public sessions with the committee. I was interested to see what they would do for this case and quite obvious to me they relented though not removing it entirely but put some warning banner over the post. Perhaps the heavy fines was in FB's consideration as well.

The government requested a correction order, not removal. See below on the powers the law empowers our government. 

Anyway I am not saying FB will pull out of singapore for this but I think our government will find it harder to enforce certain more draconian powers.

Example, if our government ask facebook to disable the posts instead of correction... what will happen? I REALLY hope our government is not stupid enough to force a showdown with an internet giant.

Even correction order is stupid. That guy reposted in twitter, etc, is our government going to go after every internet media to correct it?

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapores-fake-news-law-kicked-oct-2-here-how-it-will-work

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Rm2s said:

In my opinion FB will not forgo advertising dollars (earned from Singaporean companies) for the sake of "protecting" that one user who has a history of writing articles with a heavy slant against a particular party in SG.

I recall (and I might be wrong) FB's VP (of something) was against the fake news law here and didn't want to commit to removing fake news during one of the public sessions with the committee. I was interested to see what they would do for this case and quite obvious to me they relented though not removing it entirely but put some warning banner over the post. Perhaps the heavy fines was in FB's consideration as well.

LOL! When comes to Facebook, nothing is ever "committed" nor promised - especially when they have all the juicy data about you, ready material to sell you packaged and targeted fake news. [flowerface]

FB is all the crabs and meant for gossiping only mah. Why so serious? Who border or want to verify what was posted right? Even youtube also lots of rubbish but there are stuff that are good. So it is for you to filter what you need.

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

FB is all the crabs and meant for gossiping only mah. Why so serious? Who border or want to verify what was posted right? Even youtube also lots of rubbish but there are stuff that are good. So it is for you to filter what you need.

FB maybe crap to some...but it is the 21st century tool that lead to political turmoil, uprisings, revolutions,  regime downfalls and civil wars...in multiple countries.

Yes, it is THAT serious.

Egypt's "Arab Spring" Revolution protestors in 2011 (Look familiar?)

26IA7INKZYIF4ML3GZ3NSO6XOI.jpg

Edited by Wishcumsback

6 hours ago, Victor68 said:

You are naive to think that most people are like you and bother to verify and cross check info. Just look at Trump.

I am no fan of FB but POFMA is also giving way too much power to G and they probably over reached this time. 

The great firewall of China can never work here and they can't ban FB without losing votes and invitIng ridicule.  FB market cap is much larger than SG GDP,  maybe we can bully them into donating a few millions to our coffers. 

17 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

You are naive to think that most people are like you and bother to verify and cross check info. Just look at Trump.

I am no fan of FB but POFMA is also giving way too much power to G and they probably over reached this time. 

The great firewall of China can never work here and they can't ban FB without losing votes and invitIng ridicule.  FB market cap is much larger than SG GDP,  maybe we can bully them into donating a few millions to our coffers. 

When i was living in Beijing, i have to hop over Great Firewall to read news about China.  Some of government initiative is not public knowledge within China.

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

That is the point. If people can so easily make to believe whatever is written or said, there is no end. It is also not limited to FB as there are plenty of social media out there. Not to mention kopittiam and ah pek corners. 

We should educate our people to do some thinking. They should lead by example by not using social media. To reach out, they should put their official link in social media so that people can be diverted to the right source. 

• Praise 1

On 12/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, Wind30 said:

I just hope Singaporeans remember this two incidents, presidential elections and the fake news law come election time. 

70% of Sillyporeans have poor memory... they only remember the carrots dangled in front of their noses.

↡ Advertisement