SEA GAMES 2019

Tianmo

Officially from 30 Nov to 11 Dec 2019. 

Not a good 2019 for SEA GAMES, both for the Philippine, who is the organizer, while SG has only bad news from the start. 

Started with the outbreak of Polio in Philippine so near to departure and athletes having to take booster shots before leaving SG.  Then the  chaos and negative news regarding the administration and logistics of the host country regarding transport, hotel, food when the football teams arrived.

Opening sports for SG almost gone case.

With the U22 lions drawing Laos and losing to Indonesia with no goals so far, having to beat both  SEA GAMES power house Thailand and Vietnam is almost like a dream in the day. Looks like early go early come back for the footballers. 

Next we have the water polo team making history, losing their first SEA GAMES match in 54 years, to the Indonesia. This also means after 27 SEA GAMES Gold medals back to back, this year the water polo team comes home no gold. 

Hopefully, with the rest of the teams starting the matches tomorrow onward, some good news may fly home soon. 

Best wishes to all our SG Athletes who have prepared hard for this competition,  do your best, and do us proud. 

Remember, "no human is limited", and together with your gifted talent, hard work and determination, you shall be rewarded.

If not now, it will someday be!!! [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10

Yes really sad that the water polo team lost for the first time ever[:(]

Also our Young Lions football team were poor and goalless after 2 games, thought playing in SPL against better opposition would improve their standards but alas no. Hope they can salvage some pride in the remaining 3 games, 2 of which are against Thailand and the favourites Vietnam

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

Next we have the water polo team making history, losing their first SEA GAMES match in 54 years, to the Indonesia. This also means after 27 SEA GAMES Gold medals back to back, this year the water polo team comes home no gold. 

Don't have final? Isn't this just qualifying?

16 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Don't have final? Isn't this just qualifying?

SEA GAMES I think different format, because not enough teams to go through qualifying  like world cup. 

SEA GAMES water polo only has 5 teams, so they go through round robin format, where one play against all, final medal standing base on winning points. 

The footballers also has 10 teams only, so they fight straight to semi finals base on grp result. Top 2 in the grp enter simi. 

Not the usual standard, but not enough teams, so SEA GAMES standard is like that. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Spring said:

Yes really sad that the water polo team lost for the first time ever[:(]

Also our Young Lions football team were poor and goalless after 2 games, thought playing in SPL against better opposition would improve their standards but alas no. Hope they can salvage some pride in the remaining 3 games, 2 of which are against Thailand and the favourites Vietnam

I think Brunei is their only hope, and anything less than 5 goals, they may have to consider looking for another job. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

28 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I think Brunei is their only hope, and anything less than 5 goals, they may have to consider looking for another job. [:p][laugh][laugh]

Being a football fan, I had high hopes on the football team esp as a lot of resources are spent on them and frankly, amongst the sports; a lot of time and $ has been allocated to football.

Alas, with all due respect; a team like Laos with much less resources and exposure can also match our Young Lions. This is very disappointing and some of our players even have overseas exposure. What has gone wrong, I also don't know.

We had a technical director from Belgium who was instrumental in guiding Belgium to World no. 1 ranking and now we have an Aussie TD, so no lack of effort from FAS. We even made it mandatory for SPL clubs to bring in 2 FTs per team who are under 21 (next year will be reduced to 1 I read) in the hope that they may be recruited into our National set ups if they are good and are willing.

What else can be done I wonder? sorry for the rant!

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Spring said:

Being a football fan, I had high hopes on the football team esp as a lot of resources are spent on them and frankly, amongst the sports; a lot of time and $ has been allocated to football.

Alas, with all due respect; a team like Laos with much less resources and exposure can also match our Young Lions. This is very disappointing and some of our players even have overseas exposure. What has gone wrong, I also don't know.

We had a technical director from Belgium who was instrumental in guiding Belgium to World no. 1 ranking and now we have an Aussie TD, so no lack of effort from FAS. We even made it mandatory for SPL clubs to bring in 2 FTs per team who are under 21 (next year will be reduced to 1 I read) in the hope that they may be recruited into our National set ups if they are good and are willing.

The underlying issue is a very sensitive one bro. 

I said this before, and I will say it the same, that until and unless this sensitive issue is taken off its root, our local football will go nowhere. 

Anyway, too sensitive to discuss here, we have kopi and share some views...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Spring said:

since I got some time,  just a few things to share.

Firstly, having an ang moh TD may not even be a good thing at all. Dealing with ang moh kia  who have gone through high schools and colleges and dealing with our local batches of BTC street soccer boys is very different. The mindset, the ability to comprehend, reading of environment, the actual skills, the commitment, and many more, totally different culture. I think we may be better off getting a TD from Indonesia or Malaysia, at least same mindset same language. 

Commitment is one big issue, and many of these guys have hell lot of personal problems outside of football. If you have a guy who can live on $2000, and you pay him $4000, he is not even worried that you will deduct his pay when he doesnt turn up for training. 

Population. some countries have the same kind of citizens, or at least a big percentage of the same kind, so getting enough talent is not an issue. Here we have a minority controlling a big game, how many talent can that small pool produce against having the majority getting involve? 

I have many friends who played street soccer ( I did also as a school boy),  and many were good players, but mostly gave up because no matter how good they were, they will not and cannot be captain ( unwritten rule, unofficially official). Nobody will really take them as part of the team. 

If we can form a team of players from the majority, I would not be surprise where it will lead us, mayb beyond SEA GAMES...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Buying player is totally stupid, its a team event, how can we expect 1 or 2 players to carry the whole team? We will just be burning the fellow out... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 6

Watched the young lions lost both matches. They lack of a creative penetrating midfielder. And our defense is lacking experience. Watch until kek sim.[:|]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I agree with Tianmo. To aspire and hope our boys and men played like EPL is just not realistic for now. Why then pay all these FT and spend senseless monies? Just be around asian standard and top it would be bonus. Start with SEA game lor. 

If you have the same group of people playing the game,  it is not going anywhere whoever coaches. It is the players not the coach playing.  When i see family members and friends comprising of the team, i know it is game over. Work on how to attract new blood. If nobody is interested,  then this game is like that only lor. 

• Praise 2

45 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I agree with Tianmo. To aspire and hope our boys and men played like EPL is just not realistic for now. Why then pay all these FT and spend senseless monies? Just be around asian standard and top it would be bonus. Start with SEA game lor. 

If you have the same group of people playing the game,  it is not going anywhere whoever coaches. It is the players not the coach playing.  When i see family members and friends comprising of the team, i know it is game over. Work on how to attract new blood. If nobody is interested,  then this game is like that only lor. 

Totally agree!!!:a-m1212:

And if SEA GAMES also cannot even smell at least a bronze medal, thinking of world cup is just day dreaming if nothing is going to change. 

If anyone is really interested in the future of local football, there need to be big changes in that environment and how they select players, otherwise dont waste time lor. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But from now till 2030 still got about 10 years, if they start looking and develop from the pri  and sec schools, there may still be hope, provided they pick by merit and not by race or connection. [laugh]

• Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Totally agree!!!:a-m1212:

And if SEA GAMES also cannot even smell at least a bronze medal, thinking of world cup is just day dreaming if nothing is going to change. 

If anyone is really interested in the future of local football, there need to be big changes in that environment and how they select players, otherwise dont waste time lor. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But from now till 2030 still got about 10 years, if they start looking and develop from the pri  and sec schools, there may still be hope, provided they pick by merit and not by race or connection. [laugh]

There should be competitive environment for them to develop

3 hours ago, Davidtch said:

There should be competitive environment for them to develop

Actually there is. There are many private football clubs in SG and they are in some kind of league. There are good players out there. The place where I play football with my group of friends, usually have league matches. Not SPL or Prime league. The teams have team manager and coaches. The matches always have linesmen and referee.

These are the type of players who play for the love of the sport cos all of them are not paid. Rather, they have to pay to play.

Sadly, I also have to pay to play group.:XD:

• Praise 2

56 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Actually there is. There are many private football clubs in SG and they are in some kind of league. There are good players out there. The place where I play football with my group of friends, usually have league matches. Not SPL or Prime league. The teams have team manager and coaches. The matches always have linesmen and referee.

These are the type of players who play for the love of the sport cos all of them are not paid. Rather, they have to pay to play.

Sadly, I also have to pay to play group.:XD:

I know there is an amateur league running around for some years.

To be top in SEA, at least half of the team has to be playing in some competitive league in Thailand/Indonesia.

17 hours ago, Davidtch said:

I know there is an amateur league running around for some years.

To be top in SEA, at least half of the team has to be playing in some competitive league in Thailand/Indonesia.

Just look at our S league,  almost the same people or friends playing among themselves. If that is what they can only attract, then this is the limit and be happy about it. Consider the money injected into this sport, I think better to focus on others with better results. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2