'Distracted walking': Should it be made illegal?

Didu

Supercharged

Now our gahmen is expanding the coverage to "distracted walking", although is only advisory for the time being.

"The updated Highway Code, which took effect on Dec 1, comes after two Land Transport Authority (LTA) initiatives that encourage pedestrians to pay attention on the road."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/distracted-walking-should-it-be-made-illegal-12131390

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Didu said:

Now our gahmen is expanding the coverage to "distracted walking", although is only advisory for the time being.

"The updated Highway Code, which took effect on Dec 1, comes after two Land Transport Authority (LTA) initiatives that encourage pedestrians to pay attention on the road."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/distracted-walking-should-it-be-made-illegal-12131390

dun need make it illegal, but make it not the car or driver fault if video can prove u are knock by car cos u are distracted by ownself like hp.

if driver are exempted from any penalty in such cases.  pedestrian crossing the road will automatically start to look after ownself.

now the law protect the pedestrian too much, and they know that also, cos alot of pedestrian is driver themself, and they take advantage of that , in fact many cases they dare to stand in the middle of the road to challenge the car.

we need to change this culture if we want to stop distracted walking

now the culture is protect the pedestrian too much

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Beregond said:

dun need make it illegal, but make it not the car or driver fault if video can prove u are knock by car cos u are distracted by ownself like hp.

Under current legislation, is it driver's fault if video can prove pedestrian is distracted?

33 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

Walking need to pass Basic/Advanced Theory?

😶

No need theory but practical is a must

nah...basic and advanced...everyone wont be ever distracted liao

B17F29C1-EBE3-4E00-B864-458220ED0AB0.jpeg

DCA8E6B9-DBA9-484E-AFAC-68131CD55891.jpeg

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Under current legislation, is it driver's fault if video can prove pedestrian is distracted?

if they jaywalk using hp, u buang them, as a driver u also confirm at fault, cos law say u never lookout properly. 

What i hate most is illegal u-turn! I don mean car on the road.. But people on the PCN either walking or jogging.. suddenly they just turned!! without checking on-coming bicycle or PMD..

worse is when they have earbuds or ear piece on blasting "Highway to Hell" 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

58 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Yes, make it illegal. Penalty is confiscation of handphone. 😂

Confiscated of handphone not enough, after confiscated must ban using handphone for certain number of years!? [laugh]

• Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, Beregond said:

if they jaywalk using hp, u buang them, as a driver u also confirm at fault, cos law say u never lookout properly. 

I think you mean driving without due care or reasonable consideration.

Without video, most drivers will not be able to prove they drive with due care.

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

I think you mean driving without due care or reasonable consideration.

Without video, most drivers will not be able to prove they drive with due care.

thats why i say we need to take away this protection given to the pedestrian. we need to force them to look after themself on the road.

its they look out for car, not car look out for them.

and if video to prove they are knock down when crossing the road distracted esp if they are jaywalking. the driver will be exempted from fault.

u see any 1 still dare to use hp while crossing road, every parent will start teaching their kids road is like a tiger mouth. ESCOOTER will start disappearing from our road, i promise u this. 

• Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, Beregond said:

thats why i say we need to take away this protection given to the pedestrian. we need to force them to look after themself on the road.

and if video to prove they are knock down when crossing the road distracted esp if they are jaywalking. the driver will be exempted from fault.

u see any 1 still dare to use hp while crossing road, every parent will start teaching their kids road is like a tiger mouth. ESCOOTER will start disappearing from our road, i promise u this. 

The section should not be removed to “protect” drivers as there are a lot of errant drivers on the road.

It’s the responsibility of all road users to protect ownself.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged
57 minutes ago, Beregond said:

There're some countries where vehicles do not stop for pedestrians even at Zebra crossing. They have no such distracted walking issues. Alas, SG pedestrians are too pampered. Gahmen build crossing lights in the ground for them some more. [thumbsdown] 

46 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

The section should not be removed to “protect” drivers as there are a lot of errant drivers on the road.

It’s the responsibility of all road users to protect ownself.

now i am talking about how to minimise or stop distracted walking.

i dun care about errant driver or what rules is needed to punish or prevent errant driver, maybe u can start another thread to discussing uping the punishment for errant driver etc etc, i dun want to talk about them in this thread.

that is totally not link to what i am talking about.

Edited by Beregond

41 minutes ago, Didu said:

There're some countries where vehicles do not stop for pedestrians even at Zebra crossing. They have no such distracted walking issues. Alas, SG pedestrians are too pampered. Gahmen build crossing lights in the ground for them some more. [thumbsdown] 

When i was studying in Australia, i will just cross zebra without having to look out for oncoming car.

38 minutes ago, Beregond said:

now i am talking about how to minimise or stop distracted walking.

i dun care about errant driver or what rules is needed to punish or prevent errant driver, maybe u can start another thread to discussing uping the punishment for errant driver etc etc, i dun want to talk about them in this thread.

that is totally not link to what i am talking about.

We can't remove an existing legislation without thinking its implication.

Similar to PMD saga.

↡ Advertisement