Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

45 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Huh? So often. I never changed engine mount before I think. 6.5 years for my prev car, almost 5 for my current one. 

Yeah. My previous 6 years old 2.4L 4 cyclinder korean car before this A6 also never changed engine mount before. Unfortunately I think the engine mount by Audi for this 4 cylinder engine is a weak link.

↡ Advertisement

I think Korean engineering is better than German engineering.

How come German cars keep burning oil and Korean cars don't?

Engines should be burning petrol not oil.

Its just that German designers make better looking cars but Koreans are catching up here also.

German engineering is really over rated.

DSG problems, oil burning problems, emissions scandal etc etc

:grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

And the German spent a lot on advertising.

All those expensive ads by BM and Audi.

All the ads so stylish one.

The money went to the ad designers and not the engineering dept.

• Praise 1

Someone posted:" A better handling and ride comes with a price. If cannot withstand repair, better off to drive a non conti with minimium and of  simplest design and set up. "

Edited by Raychay
add

On 12/7/2019 at 12:05 PM, Jamesc said:

Is the Charade CX a "POS" because of the 1L 50 hp engine?

Wouldn't it still be a "POS" even if it had a 1L 50 hp 4 cylinder engine?

Or would the 1L 50 hp 4 cylinder engine make it better?

Bro, obviously you didn't own one b4. Daihatsu may be a sub of Toyota, but that 50hp 1L was really bad. It sounds like the exhaust was broken, and when you rev it up, it sounds like you are pulling empty milk cans behind the car. 

And I still rem clearly the sales brochure mentioned something called 'afterburner prevention device. :O haha :D Before u guys get starry eyed that 50hp single carb 1L engine has a afterburner like a jet engine, it actually means that engine for some reasons loved to backfire when u lift off throttle. Daihatsu engineers had to install something in the exhaust (or was it inside the muffler?) to dampen the backfire effect. This device is not applicable in the GTi model. 

Anyway, POS becos of its sheer unreliability. Back then it was my dad who was doing most of the driving... the Charade parts wore off faster than your reg jeans in hot bleach. Clutch plate gone within 20000km iirc, poor brakes and it couldn't be solved realistically till we junked it. And it was really under-powered if u have 3 or more adults onboard. Aircon had to be switch off every time u climb a MSCP ramp. Ride height was so low without any mods that the chassis sometimes hit the bumps if u have 4 adults on board

And the car was even noisier on day 1 than the previous 9 yr old Datsun 120Y that my family had. 

On 12/6/2019 at 8:16 PM, Sdf4786k said:

u still recall this ?

image.thumb.png.519c5d3be2126733a42a1290801b629a.png

Thats the 1st gen Charade of 1977. It was amazing that the same engine was used, with min revisions till the 1989 Charade 1.0CX/ A full 12 yrs... These 1st gen ones are downright tiny inside. I doubt many us will get comfortable even by sitting in front. Rear seats are strictly for kids. 

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Bro, obviously you didn't own one b4. Daihatsu may be a sub of Toyota, but that 50hp 1L was really bad. It sounds like the exhaust was broken, and when you rev it up, it sounds like you are pulling empty milk cans behind the car. 

And I still rem clearly the sales brochure mentioned something called 'afterburner prevention device. 😮 haha :D Before u guys get starry eyed that 50hp single carb 1L engine has a afterburner like a jet engine, it actually means that engine for some reasons loved to backfire when u lift off throttle. Daihatsu engineers had to install something in the exhaust (or was it inside the muffler?) to dampen the backfire effect. This device is not applicable in the GTi model. 

Anyway, POS becos of its sheer unreliability. Back then it was my dad who was doing most of the driving... the Charade parts wore off faster than your reg jeans in hot bleach. Clutch plate gone within 20000km iirc, poor brakes and it couldn't be solved realistically till we junked it. And it was really under-powered if u have 3 or more adults onboard. Aircon had to be switch off every time u climb a MSCP ramp. Ride height was so low without any mods that the chassis sometimes hit the bumps if u have 4 adults on board

And the car was even noisier on day 1 than the previous 9 yr old Datsun 120Y that my family had. 

I agree with your description for the part I have bold. For the rest, I have different experience (with friends and colleagues Charade). 

I have an ex-colleague who drove 4 of us (total 5 mid size folks including the driver) up to Hilltop (at Jurong Bird Park) for lunch and while can feel that the car is struggling with the task, it was still moving at a constant pace with aircon on all the while. And we did that for so many times until I can remember which particular bend on that stretch is the most tricky part... 

This colleague of mine kept her Charade all the way till EOL, while another colleague (from a different coy) kept his for 20 years and sold it to another who renew COE for another 5 years. Both of them were singing praise for how low the maintenance cost was (yes the brake is not as good as say a newer Starlet or Swift but not as bad as the Mitsubishi i). Similar comments from a classmate and my lecturer who have the same 993cc CX variant.

Engine noise wise, while it is not a quiet / refine car to begin with, but definitely not as bad, or worst of than the Datsun 120Y. How do I know? My family has one which my dad drive all the way to the last day before scrapping it. And that 120Y can really wake up the whole neighborhood when he starts the engine in the early morning... 

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

And I still rem clearly the sales brochure mentioned something called 'afterburner prevention device. 😮 haha :D Before u guys get starry eyed that 50hp single carb 1L engine has a afterburner like a jet engine, it actually means that engine for some reasons loved to backfire when u lift off throttle. Daihatsu engineers had to install something in the exhaust (or was it inside the muffler?) to dampen the backfire effect. This device is not applicable in the GTi model. 

You are comparing the Charade to the cars of today? Should we not compare it to similar cars of its day, in its category? 

Were the Swift, Justy, Viki and Uno any better? More powerful? Smoother? Quieter? More economical? More reliable? I don't think so. The March was quite decent. The Starlet was a superior car in the sub-1 litre category, but it costs at least 10% more. Of course if you pay more road tax you can also have a Lada Samara at $30K, or the Hyundai Excel/Proton Saga at $40K. I liked the R5 Campus at that time.

The term POS is undeserved for this runaway sales success that is the Charade. Yes, an opened door might shake itself loose when the engine was idling, but it was generally a good car in its days.

That is why your parents bought one.

• Praise 4

this charade was my first car as a gift from my father after my ns.

power wise was acceptable during that time n the only problem it had was the vibration due to it 3 cyl engine.

I drove it for a couple of years without any issue before I got a civic. I even drove the charade to genting and camaron highland.

• Praise 2

C'mon guys.. really? Comparing the venerable Charade to a modern car?

Or comparing a 3 cylinder to an inline 6? 

What kind of comparison is that?

Even today, the Charade is relevant.... price it right and it's a cheap, reliable ride. I'll take a new Charade over a Cherry QQ or even a 10 year old BMW.. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, therock said:

C'mon guys.. really? Comparing the venerable Charade to a modern car?

Or comparing a 3 cylinder to an inline 6? 

What kind of comparison is that?

Even today, the Charade is relevant.... price it right and it's a cheap, reliable ride. I'll take a new Charade over a Cherry QQ or even a 10 year old BMW.. 

Today's Charade would be the Myvi lor. Its badged as a Daihatsu Sirlion steak in Indonesia :D

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I agree with your description for the part I have bold. For the rest, I have different experience (with friends and colleagues Charade). 

I have an ex-cPQP lleague who drove 4 of us (total 5 mid size folks including the driver) up to Hilltop (at Jurong Bird Park) for lunch and while can feel that the car is struggling with the task, it was still moving at a constant pace with aircon on all the while. And we did that for so many times until I can remember which particular bend on that stretch is the most tricky part... 

This colleague of mine kept her Charade all the way till EOL, while another colleague (from a different coy) kept his for 20 years and sold it to another who renew COE for another 5 years. Both of them were singing praise for how low the maintenance cost was (yes the brake is not as good as say a newer Starlet or Swift but not as bad as the Mitsubishi i). Similar comments from a classmate and my lecturer who have the same 993cc CX variant.

Engine noise wise, while it is not a quiet / refine car to begin with, but definitely not as bad, or worst of than the Datsun 120Y. How do I know? My family has one which my dad drive all the way to the last day before scrapping it. And that 120Y can really wake up the whole neighborhood when he starts the engine in the early morning... 

I totally agree with you as my first ride was a 1982 Charade XG. I bought it when the car was 7.5 years old and I renewed the first PQP at $1004. I used for another 9.5 years! 

It had never broken down that I needed a tow truck, never. The only parts that I ever replaced were the wear and tear parts. A pair of rear shock absorbers (they were spoilt as I carried full loads of books when I shifted house) , wiper motor set and air-con coils. Other than that no other essential parts had been changed. Oh, I welded the exhaust pipe soon after taking over the car. 

It was my only work house and it had never failed me (only once by a flat battery) I drove to MY many times, up to Malacca and it could hit 150 km/h (for testing onlly).

As the mention of Datsun 120Y' s noise, I don't think it was very loud, but it was so unique that you know it was a 120Y without having to see the car! That car really lacked power! Once I was in my classmate's 120Y Auto in JB. There were 3 of us and it really had to struggle up a slope on one of the streets in JB! May be because it was an auto...

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

You are comparing the Charade to the cars of today? Should we not compare it to similar cars of its day, in its category? 

Were the Swift, Justy, Viki and Uno any better? More powerful? Smoother? Quieter? More economical? More reliable? I don't think so. The March was quite decent. The Starlet was a superior car in the sub-1 litre category, but it costs at least 10% more. Of course if you pay more road tax you can also have a Lada Samara at $30K, or the Hyundai Excel/Proton Saga at $40K. I liked the R5 Campus at that time.

The term POS is undeserved for this runaway sales success that is the Charade. Yes, an opened door might shake itself loose when the engine was idling, but it was generally a good car in its days.

That is why your parents bought one.

It was popular mainly becos it looked very futuristic for a late 80s car, when general styling back then were box on a box styling. Suzuki SF310 Swift and Toyota Starlet of that era had styling that represented the late 80s. 

My dad bought one becos thats all he could afford back then. We were so close in buying the Hyundai Excel 1.5 for the same $$... but we cannot accept the atrocious build quality of Hyundai at that time. :D And the lousy late 70s Mitsubishi engines. Not that the Charade 1L was that good. 

Unlike today, back then if you want super engines and GB, you buy a Honda.    

7 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

I totally agree with you as my first ride was a 1982 Charade XG. I bought it when the car was 7.5 years old and I renewed the first PQP at $1004. I used for another 9.5 years! 

It had never broken down that I needed a tow truck, never. The only parts that I ever replaced were the wear and tear parts. A pair of rear shock absorbers (they were spoilt as I carried full loads of books when I shifted house) , wiper motor set and air-con coils. Other than that no other essential parts had been changed. Oh, I welded the exhaust pipe soon after taking over the car. 

It was my only work house and it had never failed me (only once by a flat battery) I drove to MY many times, up to Malacca and it could hit 150 km/h (for testing onlly).

As the mention of Datsun 120Y' s noise, I don't think it was very loud, but it was so unique that you know it was a 120Y without having to see the car! That car really lacked power! Once I was in my classmate's 120Y Auto in JB. There were 3 of us and it really had to struggle up a slope on one of the streets in JB! May be it was an auto...

Did 120Y had an auto option back then? I remembered you need  at least 200L Laurel to get automatic gb, and it was a 3 speeder only. Auto boxes were not popular at that time. Back then we were real drivers :D 

those were the days where no ABS, No power steering, No power windows, No Traction control, skinny tires and anything faster than 120kmh was like floating

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Today's Charade would be the Myvi lor. Its badged as a Daihatsu Sirlion steak in Indonesia :D

Current gen MYVI is not from Daihatsu stable. For Indo mkt, it is merely a rebadged exercise.

Perodua Axia is closer to Charade as it is a 3 pot 1L. For Indo mkt, it is rebadged as Toyota Agya.

• Praise 3

3 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

I have an ex-colleague who drove 4 of us (total 5 mid size folks including the driver) up to Hilltop (at Jurong Bird Park) for lunch and while can feel that the car is struggling with the task, it was still moving at a constant pace with aircon on all the while. And we did that for so many times until I can remember which particular bend on that stretch is the most tricky part... 

120Y good workhorse for L plate.. 

At $6.50 an hr, cant compliant

20 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Did 120Y had an auto option back then? I remembered you need  at least 200L Laurel to get automatic gb, and it was a 3 speeder only. Auto boxes were not popular at that time. Back then we were real drivers :D 

Yes, in JB. Malaysian Reg car! He used that car to do sales up and down the whole peninsula!

↡ Advertisement