Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

Just now, inlinesix said:

Current gen MYVI is not from Daihatsu stable. For Indo mkt, it is merely a rebadged exercise.

Perodua Axia is closer to Charade as it is a 3 pot 1L. For Indo mkt, it is rebadged as Toyota Agya.

Is that the same joint venture with pug 1007 ?

↡ Advertisement

On 12/8/2019 at 3:06 PM, Wt_know said:

not for the current model G20 320 leh ... has been out for awhile already

but not seen in many traffic lights ... [laugh]

Because the price makes the C200 looks cheap.

• Haha! 1

🤣🤣🤣, this thread topic OT till become a Charade thread liao.

I think most of the contributors here are at a point in life that nothing less than a 6 cylinder is worth considering. 

I was skeptical about the vibration and sound and power delivery until I test drove some... I'd say its like a hit or miss, really depends on how it's being implemented. We cannot keep looking at the 3 cylinder engines 40 years ago... c'mon. 

• Praise 3

18 hours ago, Jamesc said:

And the German spent a lot on advertising.

All those expensive ads by BM and Audi.

All the ads so stylish one.

The money went to the ad designers and not the engineering dept. 

:grin:

I sort of agree actually.... I have no confidence in German engineering when it comes to cars! For those who don't trust the 3 cylinder technologies due to reliability, they should be looking at Japanese or Korean cars, not those German luxury marques. 

Japanese car reliability really run circles around the German marques...n the Germans are generally more reliability than the French or Italians.

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

🤣🤣🤣, this thread topic OT till become a Charade thread liao.

I think most of the contributors here are at a point in life that nothing less than a 6 cylinder is worth considering. 

I was skeptical about the vibration and sound and power delivery until I test drove some... I'd say its like a hit or miss, really depends on how it's being implemented. We cannot keep looking at the 3 cylinder engines 40 years ago... c'mon. 

For me minimum 4 cylinder good enough.. better still, old school vtec .. Lagi best

4cyc turbo is the besterest la

4pot is suffice

turbo can goes up to 350bhp!

the only drawback is engine sound only

close door ... pump up music!

6 hours ago, Wt_know said:

4cyc turbo is the besterest la

4pot is suffice

turbo can goes up to 350bhp!

the only drawback is engine sound only

close door ... pump up music!

I think u nailed it... Turbo-charging an engine gives it a much better drive feel than a slightly larger 4 pot NA.

Give me a 1.5L 3 pot turbo engine over a 2.0L 4 pot NA anytime! 

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, Fitvip said:

I totally agree with you as my first ride was a 1982 Charade XG. I bought it when the car was 7.5 years old and I renewed the first PQP at $1004. I used for another 9.5 years! 

It had never broken down that I needed a tow truck, never. The only parts that I ever replaced were the wear and tear parts. A pair of rear shock absorbers (they were spoilt as I carried full loads of books when I shifted house) , wiper motor set and air-con coils. Other than that no other essential parts had been changed. Oh, I welded the exhaust pipe soon after taking over the car. 

It was my only work house and it had never failed me (only once by a flat battery) I drove to MY many times, up to Malacca and it could hit 150 km/h (for testing onlly).

As the mention of Datsun 120Y' s noise, I don't think it was very loud, but it was so unique that you know it was a 120Y without having to see the car! That car really lacked power! Once I was in my classmate's 120Y Auto in JB. There were 3 of us and it really had to struggle up a slope on one of the streets in JB! May be because it was an auto...

Mine too! First ride - charade 1.0 that came with renewed COE. Fond memories. 😀 Ya, had problems climbing the slope when fully loaded but hey, the space inside was better than some of the cars even today. Imho, give me a charade over a 120Y anytime then. I don't have much of a memory for 120Y. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Rskc said:

Mine too! First ride - charade 1.0 that came with renewed COE. Fond memories. 😀 Ya, had problems climbing the slope when fully loaded but hey, the space inside was better than some of the cars even today. Imho, give me a charade over a 120Y anytime then. I don't have much of a memory for 120Y. 

Could you describe more on the problems climbing a slope? Problems related to manual transmission? Didn't have such an experience before (never driven the charade though). SG no steep slope lol 

And in my overseas driving experience, driving up a steep slope was scary but modern cars could overcome without any problem. 

Edited by Falc

On 12/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, Falc said:

Could you describe more on the problems climbing a slope? Problems related to manual transmission? Didn't have such an experience before (never driven the charade though). SG no steep slope lol 

And in my overseas driving experience, driving up a steep slope was scary but modern cars could overcome without any problem. 

Basically the engine is small to carry a car of its size fully loaded with 5 adults on slope. I had to switch off aircon to gain that extra bit of power. E.g. Wisma carpark at gantry: I remember I need to pull handbrake, off aircon, half clutched, ram the engine to get full biting point to successfully take off on slope. Lol.

• Praise 1

Any car can go up a hill. 

Even 660 cc can go up Genting fully loaded. 

It just goes up slower only. 

Sometimes on steep slope really slow. 

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 1

59 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

hearsay, the 1st gen Proton Saga cannot go up Genting ... 1/2 way radiator water boiling liao .... muahahaha

Edited by Wt_know

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

except with your MIL in it?😁

• Haha! 1

test drive both bmw and audi 3 cyl motor, the ride was smooth n min vibration during idling.

good enough for city driving but may feel not enough power to drive on nshw, n this is the typical issue with small displacement engine.

• Praise 3

On 12/8/2019 at 11:09 PM, Raychay said:

Someone posted:" A better handling and ride comes with a price. If cannot withstand repair, better off to drive a non conti with minimium and of  simplest design and set up. "

Better handling, comfort and sound insulation is for sure. Reliability I cannot comment but my 4 years of mercedes owelnership has been good. I even renew COE of my e200.  It drives much much better than my ex 2.4L Odyssey. I still have an old altis too, the merce beats altis in every aspect by big big margin. 

By the way, my servicing is 15k KM interval,  never heard of having to top up engine oil in between. Maybe I am lucky? 

Edited by Ct3833

3 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Better handling, comfort and sound insulation is for sure. Reliability I cannot comment but my 4 years of mercedes owelnership has been good. I even renew COE of my e200.  It drives much much better than my ex 2.4L Odyssey. I still have an old altis too, the merce beats altis in every aspect by big big margin. 

By the way, my servicing is 15k KM interval,  never heard of having to top up engine oil in between. Maybe I am lucky? 

Sometimes it’s a matter of when you enter into a used car ownership. It could be that the previous guy Kenna all the wear and tear and you are now reaping the rewards. 
but it’s a cycle, own it long enough and the wear and tear will repeat. 
having said this. A typical Conti has more weird parts that will break than a typical jap. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1