Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

9 hours ago, Falc said:

Actually don't need mods for some of the throatiness. Try out some of the 3cy nowadays 

yeah.. like the mitsu arrtage.. 

agree with you.. spending money on mod is totally useless for such cars

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement

8 hours ago, Falc said:

Yap. Turbo I3 has not reached bread and butter status, which still belongs to the 1.3 to 1.6 NA I4. 

Ya, when it becomes the normal, no choice then. Want 4cylinder, then probably need to build your own car liao. 

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Ya, when it becomes the normal, no choice then. Want 4cylinder, then probably need to build your own car liao. 

From reviews of downsized models from VW group,  BMW, Suzuki, Hyundai group that laud the 3cy turbo models, if that happened the 4cy NA probably won't be missed.

Provided no big design flaws in the 3cy turbo surface in the future. 

Edited by Falc
  • Praise 1

My first car was a 3-cylinder car. A Suzuki Wagon R YOM 1996. Bought it in 2000 with 4 years on it's age clock when I first got my license. As others mentioned, most prominent issue was it's vibration especially idling and moving off/stopping. 

During my 2 year of owning it, had engine mouting and valves replaced and was better. During that time modded it with a open pod filter. Boy the car sounds like a bump boat during idling...lol

Fast forward to now, got myself a continental 3-cyclinder but with turbo in 2018. Though with newer technology, drive was smooth and FC was good. Light-footed and mostly highway I can get 13-14km/l. I guess this is one of the advantages of 3-cyclinder car and of cos lower cost for manufacturers. Car is 1.5 years of age now and I started to experience slight vibration sometimes during moving off (rpm fluctuating below 800). Hopefully it is not a big issue. 

Cheers.

• Praise 4

On 12/3/2019 at 4:11 PM, Inlinefour said:

bmw many inline 3 (half straight six) too:a-toast:

selling as 1/2 InLineSex ... 

can touch can raba raba ... but cannot climax ... LOL

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 2

The A3 was a special one for me... the price is a bit high in SG, but the chassis and the older 1.4T was very sweet. A semi hot car with a well put together interior..

If it was price at what the Corolla costs, it's worth considering even though the interior is a lot smaller and the 1.4T was quite bare (not a single USB port) and cost 125k..

It's the singles car for punting around.. reminds me of the Mazda 1.6l MX5. Point and squirt... very nice..

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Falc said:

Yap. Turbo I3 has not reached bread and butter status, which still belongs to the 1.3 to 1.6 NA I4. 

I think it wont be for many years till the manufacturing cost of I3 turbo match the N.A engines. Having a turbo means needing to strengthen all the internal components to withstand the higher pressure - so the car makers cant just bolt on a turbo and remove a cylinder from their existing I4 engine blueprint

1 hour ago, Jwee85 said:

With a nice aftermarket pipe.

3-cylinders engine will sound like expensive inline-6 sound.

That is an advantage, isn't it?

No replacement for displacement.

C2205 C63S will never sound as nice/loud as W204 C63 Black series

• Praise 1

best solution is NEVER buy a 6cyc car 

once you have tested 6 cyc .... simi 3cyc 4cyc no shiok erection liao ... muahahaha

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Wt_know said:

best solution is NEVER buy a 6cyc car 

once you have tested 6 cyc .... simi 3cyc 4cyc no shiok erection liao ... muahahaha

That's true.

Maybe need double IL6

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

That's true.

Maybe need double IL6

last time E60 M5 is V10 NA ...

then M5 downgraded to V8 .... but got twin turbo to make it up 

similarly last time M3 was V8 downgraded to IL6 turbo ... 

turbo can solve all problem! just pack more turbos in ... [laugh]

Edited by Wt_know

Turbocharged
18 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

every 2 years? thats either quite heavy usage and fast handling on the speed bumps. 

I suppose poly mounts could have reduce the number of replacement.

Sorry to off topic.. Could u explain what's poly mounts?

My diesel Jag also... In my 3 years of usage from new, engine or gear mounts cui twice already.. drive fast, yes but never chiong hump.. 

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

last time E60 M5 is V10 NA ...

then M5 downgraded to V8 .... but got twin turbo to make it up 

similarly last time M3 was V8 downgraded to IL6 turbo ... 

turbo can solve all problem! just pack more turbos in ... [laugh]

E31 850CSi is 5.6L V12

• Praise 1

Law of diminishing returns.

Heavier engine has to pull itself.

Best mileage per unit fuel is the 23 Nissan DIG Tr. At 40 odd pounds, one the lightest engines.

Its about technology not cylinders.

On 12/4/2019 at 1:01 PM, Carbon82 said:

BTW, I supposed you mean Subaru Rex right? :grin:

My apologies, my mind must have been on something else when those words were typed. 🚺

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2