Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

mitsubishi attrage uses 3 cylinder engine.. And of coz all other things that cut the cost down. So nothing wrong as long as it is quite a standard basic car and for budget conscious buyer. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My first pre-loved ride was a 1982 3-cylindered Daihatsu Charade XG at 993 cc. It served me faithfully till the end 1999 when I changed ride.

My brother bought a 318i which was a 3-cylindered car too.

Earlier Honda Life and Subaru 700 models were with 2 cylinders only!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 2

4 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The Charade Gtti had one of the best engines. Nothing wrong with 3 cylinder engines. They are great. 

:D

Bro, Im refering to the 'normal' 50hp single carb 1L Charade CX ah. That one was a total POS even though its styling inside n out was ahead of its time and still looked quite decent today. My family had that POS brand new back in 1988 and that was the car I drove when I got my licence. 

That 100hp GTi was considered too high tech and too expensive for its day. I rem it was selling at about $52000, an astronomical fig back in 1988 when the reg Charade cost just $38k only. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Jamesc said:

The Charade Gtti had one of the best engines. Nothing wrong with 3 cylinder engines. They are great. 

:D

Different lah, this one is like a golf  GTI of the charade. Some more this model in that era was one of the more "rounded" design when many were still squarish.  

I think a small engine with electric motor should be able to do wonders like the i8.  And the good thing about engineering is the design  will continue to improve, eventually the imbalance torque, vibration  will be a thing of the past one day. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Bro, Im refering to the 'normal' 50hp single carb 1L Charade CX ah. That one was a total POS even though its styling inside n out was ahead of its time and still looked quite decent today. My family had that POS brand new back in 1988 and that was the car I drove when I got my licence. 

That 100hp GTi was considered too high tech and too expensive for its day. I rem it was selling at about $52000, an astronomical fig back in 1988 when the reg Charade cost just $38k only. 

u still recall this ?

image.thumb.png.519c5d3be2126733a42a1290801b629a.png

• Haha! 2

The Charade was no Ferrari, but it did the job and was the budget car for many students and young working adults. I won't knock it, considering that my friend gave me lifts to school in one for three years... thank you friend and thank you Charade.. never broke down..

• Haha! 4

10 hours ago, therock said:

The Charade was no Ferrari, but it did the job and was the budget car for many students and young working adults. I won't knock it, considering that my friend gave me lifts to school in one for three years... thank you friend and thank you Charade.. never broke down..

And rightfully so as Diahatsu was part of the toyota food chain.

• Praise 1

On 12/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Yes, the most recent being the Fiat TwinAir 0.9L that is installed in a variety of small FCA cars. 

In 70s SG, I remembered the Honda Life and Subaru Sex had twin-cyl engines. More recently the Subaru Viki had 660cc twin. 

this is news to me. i didnt know the viki was two cylinder thing. Always thought it was a 3 just like its class competitor the swift

11 hours ago, therock said:

there's something about the curvy charade that made me love it even though i only rented one. something about the shape, the ride, the comfort.. maybe it was the first symbol of 'freedom' for many young drivers of my age back then

• Praise 2

19 minutes ago, Karoon said:

there's something about the curvy charade that made me love it even though i only rented one. something about the shape, the ride, the comfort.. maybe it was the first symbol of 'freedom' for many young drivers of my age back then

They also successfully grafted a boot to the hatch. The 1.3 was not bad as well.. 

but lately don’t see much sales from diahatsu in sg

Edited by Sdf4786k

A light pressure turbo aptly applied does wonders, be it in a 4 or 3 cylinder car. 

The Tivoli, the vitara examples being transformed from sloths to something approaching warm hatches .. so for city driving where you only employ the turbo for short duration and short distances .. it’s ideal for the 1.0T. 

On the NSH hurtling down at excess of 100kph and continually going above 4000rpm .. now that’s when you need to differentiate the boys from men..

thats where a properly cooled turbo done to suit such road conditions will matter. The tiny 1.0 will be in danger of burning off a big hole in the engine at such stress levels .. 

but here in SG it’s in its element 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

54 minutes ago, therock said:

A light pressure turbo aptly applied does wonders, be it in a 4 or 3 cylinder car. 

The Tivoli, the vitara examples being transformed from sloths to something approaching warm hatches .. so for city driving where you only employ the turbo for short duration and short distances .. it’s ideal for the 1.0T. 

On the NSH hurtling down at excess of 100kph and continually going above 4000rpm .. now that’s when you need to differentiate the boys from men..

thats where a properly cooled turbo done to suit such road conditions will matter. The tiny 1.0 will be in danger of burning off a big hole in the engine at such stress levels .. 

but here in SG it’s in its element 

BMW 118 is 3 pot 1.5L with 220NM

Vs

BMW 140 is IL6 3L with 500NM

In city driving, the 1 with higher torque with eat a lot of cars. Ask turboflat4.

Edited by inlinesix

56 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

BMW 118 is 3 pot 1.5L with 220NM

Vs

BMW 140 is IL6 3L with 500NM

In city driving, the 1 with higher torque with eat a lot of cars. Ask turboflat4.

Bro 
Please find me an inline 6 with the same price and FC as the 3 cylinder... you may ask turboflat4 or anyone else too, cheers 🙂

• Haha! 3

Just now, therock said:

Bro 
Please find me an inline 6 with the same price and FC as the 3 cylinder... you may ask turboflat4 or anyone else too, cheers 🙂

Did you mention price previously?

20 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

Is the Charade CX a "POS" because of the 1L 50 hp engine?

Wouldn't it still be a "POS" even if it had a 1L 50 hp 4 cylinder engine?

Or would the 1L 50 hp 4 cylinder engine make it better?

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3