Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

On 12/3/2019 at 7:07 PM, No_worries said:

I speak from my last year experience in renting a Audi A3 1.0 from our local “Audi on Demand” website.

I had the car for 1 day and while I like the low end  torque the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre Ea211. What I can’t stand is the buzzy noise i get when the engine is going about from 1500 to 2000 rpm. To save fuel, the DSG upshift early and by 65km.hr you are in 7th gear and cruising at 1200rpm, that’s the part where you can feel the vibration and buzzy feeling from the engine.

I agree as I am driving a golf 1.0 now. At idling, its rpm is closed to 1k, I can only think it is to avoid excessive vibration. The only way to avoid low rev humming and vibration is to shift to S mode to push up rev above 2k. By doing so, it removes much of the unpleasant vibration.

Back to fuel economy, it doesn't save much compare to 1.4tsi but on cruising, it does show its efficiency with low consumption. I learnt to live with it now.

• Praise 2

On 12/4/2019 at 8:06 AM, Adrianli said:

I dont have any buzzy noise from my A3 1.0. The only thing I dont like the 3 cyclinder engine is the rough start-up especially when the ASS(Auto Start Stop) is on. For cruising and normal driving, the 3 cylinder engine is ok. I am averaging 12L/km. Much better than my previous Toyota Allion 1.5L 4 cylinder engine which I am averaging 10L/km only.

I also do not feel any vibration coming from the 3 cylinder engine in the cabin. Maybe Audi did a good job at isolating the vibration. Only vibration is when the engine is started up.

Yes, start-stop restart is intrusive to extent it hurts. I really do not know why it vibrates this much from start.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Sopskysalat said:

I agree as I am driving a golf 1.0 now. At idling, its rpm is closed to 1k, I can only think it is to avoid excessive vibration. The only way to avoid low rev humming and vibration is to shift to S mode to push up rev above 2k. By doing so, it removes much of the unpleasant vibration.

Back to fuel economy, it doesn't save much compare to 1.4tsi but on cruising, it does show its efficiency with low consumption. I learnt to live with it now.

would the test drive not given you that same perception before you signed on the dotted line. Or was it sold base on price?

4 hours ago, Karoon said:

this is news to me. i didnt know the viki was two cylinder thing. Always thought it was a 3 just like its class competitor the swift

The Swift was a 1L supermini in those days (late 80s/early 90s), whereas the Viki was a kei-car. It's competitor would actually be the Swiftlet. 

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Sopskysalat said:

Yes, the “buziness” and “drumming” effect on the ear only goes away when you increase the RPM by shifting the gear shift to S. However doing so will increase fuel consumption .

Edited by No_worries

Can i ask the bros here..so between 318 vs 316 which one u guys will go for? I believe one us 'bai-kar' 3 cyl while the other is 4 cyl? 

Both cars (used cars) abt same depre in sgcarmart...

1 hour ago, Kyrios said:

Can i ask the bros here..so between 318 vs 316 which one u guys will go for? I believe one us 'bai-kar' 3 cyl while the other is 4 cyl? 

316 is older than 318. I will not look at either of them. The finishing is worse than B&B.

Lower lips of bumper is missing resulted in exposed exhaust. 
Under bonnet, I could see steering connecting rod of 316.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

328 for me.

yeah. better choose a slightly older F30 320/328 for similar depreciation ... 

Edited by Wt_know

How can a 3 cylinder engine not be good?

So many are turbo charged.

With the extra boost and pressure if the engine no good it will be up lorry already.

In terms of reliability don't hear of many 3 cylinder engines breaking down.

:grin: 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Same depre obviously go for the 4 lah.

If 4 scoops of ice cream same price as 3 scoops

I would go for the 4 scoops.

:grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Between just the 2, it depends if you like pre-facelift or facelift. 😊 just go with ur heart - the car that puts a smile on your face everyday u walk towards it. 

316/318 or 328...guarantee will see each other at next traffic light. Lol. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

31 minutes ago, Rskc said:

Between just the 2, it depends if you like pre-facelift or facelift. 😊 just go with ur heart - the car that puts a smile on your face everyday u walk towards it. 

316/318 or 328...guarantee will see each other at next traffic light. Lol. 

not for the current model G20 320 leh ... has been out for awhile already

but not seen in many traffic lights ... [laugh]

• Haha! 2

218i & M240i..3 Cylinders vs 6 Cylinders,218i idling speed 950rpm,the 6 Cylinders idling speed 6

600rpm,the 218i move off with light Throttle,hit 2,500rpm change Gear,the M240i change Gears at 1,500 rpm...so you see the Fuel used..is actually just a little lesser.

• Praise 2

218i and M240i the price the world apart leh .... LOL

who cares about FC ... no yaM no talk!

Edited by Wt_know

On 12/4/2019 at 3:03 PM, Adrianli said:

Just wondering, how long does it take for the balancer shafts and engine mounts to fail for these 3 cylinder engines??? Our cars are only 10 years life span, will it happen? I am still new to this 3 cylinder engines so a bit curious.

I know for sure that my previous 2L 4 cyclinder engine(Audi A6) eats engine mounts. Changing engine mounts every 2 years thereabouts.:wacko:

Huh? So often. I never changed engine mount before I think. 6.5 years for my prev car, almost 5 for my current one. 

↡ Advertisement