Everyone says that the 3-cylinder engine is not good. Why do manufacturers still desperately produce it?

kobayashiGT

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Sometimes it’s a matter of when you enter into a used car ownership. It could be that the previous guy Kenna all the wear and tear and you are now reaping the rewards. 
but it’s a cycle, own it long enough and the wear and tear will repeat. 
having said this. A typical Conti has more weird parts that will break than a typical jap. 

Agree,how the ex owner treated the car is important. As for wear and tear, I hav no concern ls as long as it is not those  frequent break down. 

Anyway this is an Altis thread,  shall not digress the discussion. Wishing all the owners of new Altis a happy Altising  experience. 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement

49 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Anyway this is an Altis thread,  shall not digress the discussion. Wishing all the owners of new Altis a happy Altising  experience. 

Altis thread??? I thought it's about 3-cylinder engine cars?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

3 minutes ago, Raychay said:

Altis thread??? I thought it's about 3-cylinder engine cars?

Haha sorry, misquoted. Thanks for pointing that out!

On 12/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, Lava said:

test drive both bmw and audi 3 cyl motor, the ride was smooth n min vibration during idling.

good enough for city driving but may feel not enough power to drive on nshw, n this is the typical issue with small displacement engine.

My experience with BMW 3-cyl also is smooth during drive with bassy exhaust burble during idling, although vibration while idling could somewhat be felt on steering wheel and when seated.

Edited by Fuelsaver
  • Praise 3

Toyota next Yaris 4WD GR also 3 pots

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2020-toyota-gr-yaris-prototype

Under the bonnet of the GR Yaris

There are more changes under that lightweight bodywork, most notably the three-cylinder 1.6-litre turbocharged engine under the bonnet. It’s used both because it’s the biggest that will fit the car and because Saito felt that the 2.0-litre turbos he tried in various benchmark rivals (particularly a Subaru WRX STI) were all too heavy.

It’s a brand-new engine and, in a somewhat off-brand move for Toyota, has absolutely no hybrid elements. But it was designed with a focus on saving weight and efficiency. Sato claims it is the lightest and most powerful 1.6-litre production engine in the world. Toyota says it will offer more than 247bhp and 258lb ft, although those are the only technical figures forthcoming.

The engine is coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox – there’s no automatic, both to save weight and because a manual makes it more fun to drive – with power sent to all four wheels. Unusually, the car’s GR-4 AWD system doesn’t feature a centre differential (too heavy), instead using a high-performance coupling in front of the rear axle to control power to the rear wheels. Drivers can choose from three settings: Normal (60:40 front to rear), Sport (30:70) and Track (50:50).

The front suspension has MacPherson struts and the rear replaces the regular Yaris’s torsion beam for a double-wishbone set-up. Unlike with many hot hatches, the ride height is fixed because fitting a system that adjusts it would, predictably, add too much weight. The GR Yaris also gets new 18in four-pot brake calipers at the front, with 16in two-pots at the rear.

• Praise 4

9 hours ago, Jwee85 said:

Toyota next Yaris 4WD GR also 3 pots

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/first-drive-2020-toyota-gr-yaris-prototype

Under the bonnet of the GR Yaris

There are more changes under that lightweight bodywork, most notably the three-cylinder 1.6-litre turbocharged engine under the bonnet. It’s used both because it’s the biggest that will fit the car and because Saito felt that the 2.0-litre turbos he tried in various benchmark rivals (particularly a Subaru WRX STI) were all too heavy.

It’s a brand-new engine and, in a somewhat off-brand move for Toyota, has absolutely no hybrid elements. But it was designed with a focus on saving weight and efficiency. Sato claims it is the lightest and most powerful 1.6-litre production engine in the world. Toyota says it will offer more than 247bhp and 258lb ft, although those are the only technical figures forthcoming.

The engine is coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox – there’s no automatic, both to save weight and because a manual makes it more fun to drive – with power sent to all four wheels. Unusually, the car’s GR-4 AWD system doesn’t feature a centre differential (too heavy), instead using a high-performance coupling in front of the rear axle to control power to the rear wheels. Drivers can choose from three settings: Normal (60:40 front to rear), Sport (30:70) and Track (50:50).

The front suspension has MacPherson struts and the rear replaces the regular Yaris’s torsion beam for a double-wishbone set-up. Unlike with many hot hatches, the ride height is fixed because fitting a system that adjusts it would, predictably, add too much weight. The GR Yaris also gets new 18in four-pot brake calipers at the front, with 16in two-pots at the rear.

Watch the video i posted in Yaris thread

I remember during my University days in England in 2011 or so, drove a 3 pot 998cc 66bhp manual Toyota aygo courtesy car for 2 weeks when my beloved suzuki swift was in the garage after an accident.... terrible driving experience! so juddery at rest and I remember one particularly steep slope in Yorkshire where I had to get my 3 friends to get out so we could clear the steep hill ... 😂 It was still a fiercely popular car thanks to the FC and cheap maintenance/road tax... I think the road tax was £20 per annum.

Edited by Unclebutcher
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I rented a 1.0 3 cyl Suzuki Vitara manual this year in the UK. Didn't find the engine rough or bad sounding. I think the manufacturers have ironed out the rough edges.

• Praise 3