[Fake News] Consolidation Thread!

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

I starting this thread to consolidate all the fake news that is circulating on the internet. I was once a victim. hahah. I remember a few months ago there is a video circulating of collapsing ceiling in Jewel Changi Airport. Share on my facebook and kenna whack. I know there is a lot of MCF vigilantes around so if everyone can help abit if you guys came across any fake news.

Fraudulent website using fake comments from SM Tharman to solicit Bitcoin investments: MAS
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/fraudulent-website-using-fake-comments-sm-tharman-solicit-bitcoin-investments-mas

20191203_false_mas.jpg?itok=7m_Nw_IV

SINGAPORE — A fraudulent website has been soliciting Bitcoin investments by using fabricated comments attributed to a senior minister, the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) warned in an advisory on Tuesday (Dec 3).

The website, attempting to pose as local news outlet The Straits Times, features comments falsely attributed to Senior Minister and Coordinating Minister for Social Policies Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who is also chairman of MAS.

According to a screenshot of the website, the senior minister was falsely quoted as urging people to try a "cryptocurrency auto-trading program" called Bitcoin Circuit.

The bogus article said the "new secret investment" was "making hundreds of people in Singapore very rich".

"The information on the website is highly deceptive and misleading. The statements attributed to SM Tharman are completely false," the MAS advisory said.

"The site asks for payments into a purported Bitcoin trading platform and tries to obtain credit card or bank account information from readers."

MAS warned the public to exercise "extreme caution" and avoid providing any financial or personal information on the forms linked from the website.

"Anyone who suspects that an investment could be fraudulent or misused for other unlawful activities should report such cases to the police," MAS said.

There were similar cases earlier this year involving fabricated comments attributed to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong. CNA
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/fraudulent-website-using-fake-comments-sm-tharman-solicit-bitcoin-investments-mas

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Wow this is very challenging leh. Many 'official news' also cannot consider as true so how? Need to classify rating? Fake, little fake or serious fake? Haha

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Wishcumsback said:

This can be a controversial Thread by itself. I am sure forummers wil be more than happy  to agree or disagree what, which and how one should label a news a fake.

So let me throw in my little contribution[flowerface]

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

bloomberg-businessweek-supermicro.jpg

Wow... heard of it,  but never actually read such details. 

Wonder what that means for Singapore.. we got no Singaporean tech core anymore. 

Maybe AIM was a special unit protecting Singapore from malicious intent... 😂... maybe li hong yi and mr defence scientist are actually special agents defending us 😳

45 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Wow... heard of it,  but never actually read such details. 

Wonder what that means for Singapore.. we got no Singaporean tech core anymore. 

Maybe AIM was a special unit protecting Singapore from malicious intent... 😂... maybe li hong yi and mr defence scientist are actually special agents defending us 😳

That is the danger here.

Average readers seldom do their own fact checking and cross references against such "breaking" news even from established media like the Bloomberg story.

Both Apple and Amazon immediately refute Bloomberg's allegation...basically saying those are fake news.

So how did SG gov react to this (fake) news ?

Fact news:  https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/huawei-opens-singapore-s-first-5g-powered-ai-lab-video-12118544  [:p]

29 minutes ago, Wishcumsback said:

Both Apple and Amazon immediately refute Bloomberg's allegation...basically saying those are fake news.

Well... if they admit,  there will be serious damage. 

2 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Well... if they admit,  there will be serious damage. 

Well.. we can only compare with how the US coy (in this case, Apple) had reacted when more explosive news got leaked in 2013...

Apple Inc did not attempt to deny nor publicly make statement to refute that massive exposure courtesy of ex-NSA contractor Snowden.

Of course, you are entitled to read this old news with certain amount of salt... HA![:p]

2013 - Alleged NSA/CIA surveillance-backdoor deal with US corps - Fake or fact news ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

prism.jpg

Spreading via whatsapp now... 

In February, it was announced that fines for pedestrian and cyclist offences will be raised. For example, the fine for jaywalking was increased to $50 from $20. However, there was no mention of the penalties for pedestrians using their mobile phones while crossing the road.

w5wN0Tw.jpg

R65urFw.jpg

0AeU9iH.jpg

2Qf4zU1.jpg

ik141Og.jpg

I am very familiar with this particular zone. It used to be a zebra crossing and residents have been crossing the road for the past 20 - 30 years just by watching out for oncoming vehicles. However, as part of the Silver Zone scheme, the crossing has been replaced with traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing, and many of these residents are still not quite used to it (crossing without observing the traffic light), so the TP might be there to remind all pedestrian to obey the traffic light.

• Praise 5

12 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Spreading via whatsapp now... 

In February, it was announced that fines for pedestrian and cyclist offences will be raised. For example, the fine for jaywalking was increased to $50 from $20. However, there was no mention of the penalties for pedestrians using their mobile phones while crossing the road.

w5wN0Tw.jpg

R65urFw.jpg

0AeU9iH.jpg

2Qf4zU1.jpg

ik141Og.jpg

I am very familiar with this particular zone. It used to be a zebra crossing and residents have been crossing the road for the past 20 - 30 years just by watching out for oncoming vehicles. However, as part of the Silver Zone scheme, the crossing has been replaced with traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing, and many of these residents are still not quite used to it (crossing without observing the traffic light), so the TP might be there to remind all pedestrian to obey the traffic light.

TP got to learn how to park his bike within the box.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1