LATEST: E-scooter users will have to pass theory test, be at least 16 years old to ride on cycling paths.

Mkl22

Supercharged

Gahmen just rubber stamp whatever this Active Mobility Advisory Panel says[gossip]. So far our journey has not been very smooth, and experience not so good. :ouch-it-hurts:

• Haha! 1

Lai, lai, new law chut liao.

E-scooter users will have to pass theory test, be at least 16 years old to ride on cycling paths.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/e-scooter-pmd-16-years-old-pass-theory-test-no-phones-paths-12150670

SINGAPORE: New restrictions on electric scooters in Singapore will come into place after the Government said on Wednesday (Dec 4) it has accepted all recommendations put forward by a panel studying the use of the devices.

No start date has been announced for the implementation of the regulations, which include a minimum age of 16 for e-scooter users to ride on cycling paths. Those under the age of 16 will have to be supervised by adults.

Before riding on cycling paths, e-scooter users will also have to pass a theory test – a requirement which will be extended to electric bicycle users before they are allowed to ride on cycling paths and the roads.

The latest restrictions come after e-scooters were banned from Singapore's footpaths on Nov 5, with offenders facing fines of up to S$2,000 and jail time of up to three months once the ban is strictly enforced from 2020.

The ban followed a rise in the number of accidents involving e-scooters, including a fatal collision involving an elderly cyclist in September. 

Several days after the ban came into effect, the Government launched a S$7 million programme to encourage food delivery riders to trade in their e-scooters for other devices.

Under the latest regulations, food delivery companies and other businesses which use e-scooter riders will have to obtain third-party liability insurance for them. 

This is in preparation for a move towards mandatory insurance for all e-scooter users, the Ministry of Transport said. Whoa, mandatory wor.

These businesses will also have to ensure that its other active mobility device users, including bicycles, e-bikes and personal mobility aids such as motorised wheelchairs and mobility scooters, are covered by third-party liability insurance.

All active mobility users will be barred from using mobile phones while riding on both cycling paths and roads, unless the phone is mounted or "used in a hands-free manner". If caught, will hp be kenna confiscated or not? Never say. 😂

The current code of conduct focusing on device users will be expanded to include guidelines to encourage pedestrians to keep left, keep to footpaths, and for all path users to be alert to their surroundings.

RECOMMENDATIONS COMPLEMENT EXISTING EFFORTS: MINISTRY

The recommendations by the Active Mobility Advisory Panel, submitted to Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan in September, were the latest in a series of measures it proposed to improve safety for public path users in Singapore.

The panel, which was set up in 2015, proposed several measures last year including the mandatory registration of e-scooters and the lowering of speed limits on footpaths.

These were later accepted and implemented by the Government.

On Wednesday, the transport ministry said the panel's latest recommendations were timely and will complement existing efforts to improve path and road safety.

The Government will work with the panel to implement the regulations, the ministry added.

Source: CNA/zl(cy)

More and more like motorbike and car ownership liao. Stop short of bidding for coe. 😂

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

They can have thousand and one rule / law, but enforcement is the key!!

I say do it like what they did for motor vehicles in Singapore, Road Tax (can be a minimal amount of $10 p.a.) + COE (to control the PMD population) + mandatory annual inspection + compulsory 3rd party insurance.

For those that think I am siao or not compassionate enough for these "needy", think of how much they can save from using their PMD instead of taking public transport, riding a motorcycle, or even taking PHV. I am very sure our government have also seen what is coming with the growing PMD population, beside safety issues...

• Praise 14

1 minute ago, Carbon82 said:

I say do it like what they did for motor vehicles in Singapore, Road Tax (can be a minimal amount of $10 p.a.) + COE (to control the PMD population) + mandatory annual inspection + compulsory 3rd party insurance.

For those that think I am siao or not compassionate enough for these "needy", think of how much they can save from using their PMD instead of taking public transport, riding a motorcycle, or even taking PHV. I am very sure our government have also seen what is coming with the growing PMD population, beside safety issues...

I think they will still make pmd challenging to own and use otherwise who is going to take bus/mrt? If go from Yishun to AMK on pmd is so convenient (like that si ginnah) who will want to take bus/mrt? Waiting for bus to arrive, on pmd already can reach AMK. Govt liao money buy so many buses.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Many people already said many times, they can make as many rules as they want, but with no enforcement, it is as good as no rules! 

In fact, if the PMD user had followed the previous set of rule properly, i don't think this ban on footpath thing will happen. 

• Praise 4

It's always like that wan what. 

Ah gong relies on you to ownself check ownself. Ppl screw up then ah gong check on you. But who will check on ah gong?😂

gneuh.jpg

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged

they are missing the bloody elephant in the room …

PMD users definitely going to decrease … so why still emphasize on them ??

instead they should focus on the new menace - PABs on the road !!

this is the group that needs education and restriction and laws with penalties.

• Praise 2

Now it's getting more and more difficult to understand and follow the rules surrounding PMDs/e-scooters.

So food delivery still can use these on the pedestrian paths/walkways, albeit with theory test/insurance? Or is that only for cycling paths, and if so, where are these? And pedestrian paths is can or cannot?

I still see quite a few people riding the PMDs everyday. Just last night when going to airport at night, just saw 4 kids riding - on top of all the grab riders...

Enforcement is still only an afterthought or a 'by the way', or 'let it be' thingy leh...

• Praise 1

the policy all coming out in bits and pieces. no big picture. i guess the problem is so that they can tachi any shit that happens.

the fools at LTA are no better than malaysia transport ministry...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

3 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

the policy all coming out in bits and pieces. no big picture. i guess the problem is so that they can tachi any shit that happens.

the fools at LTA are no better than malaysia transport ministry...

Could be political masters asking the bureaucrats to just do something.. anything

.. ejection coming. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Could be political masters asking the bureaucrats to just do something.. anything

.. ejection coming. 

ya next month the pattern might be foot paths larger than 1.5m can ride escooter. then those who want to ride must take course on how to use laser measurement device and carry it on the escooter liao.... PUI!!!!

• Praise 1

you all keep talk about enforcement.... so you want every 100m place 1 police officer? which country has so effective enforcement?

The rules are there to indict you when you get hauled to court......

On a side note,

this are the people on the Active Mobility Advisory Panel.... i just wonder how many have experience on PMDs beside leg powered bicycle

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/getting_around/active_mobility/rules_public_education/rules_code_of_conduct/pdf/amap.pdf

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

At my bro in law's place at Punggol last week, I saw many enforcement officers (More than 10 of them at the corner of 3 traffic junctions.  Not sure they are there 24/7 but when warning letters don't inflict any pain on the PMD riders, we can expect certain outcome.  

Not sure why they ban PMD overnight but giving users such a long time for the fines and penalties to kick in. It is a waste of resources.   

A 2 weeks grace period is more than sufficient.  If not, defer implementation date to allow users to swap to ebike or MC, all these half past six measures are creating unnecessary expectations and making G looks rather incompetent.

• Praise 4

Where is the enforcement first???

LTA should assign permanent enforcement officers to all major shopping malls first, then to major heartlands and PCN. Sure to catch many many.

Then industrial area, do mobile operations.

These two weeks see the e-scooters come out and play again liao. Zero enforcement at all. Especially my place here where there is a e-scooter shop. Zoom here and there. Even thou Town Council say no riding under HDB blocks, with signs put up. These e-scooters simply ignore and zoom zoom. LTA should station their enforcement officer here at the shop. I think need lorry to confiscate all the e-scooter riders visiting the shop.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3