Jump to content
Hllow84

A5 sportback vs Stinger vs XE

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, been out of the car buying scene for very long as I have been leasing car for the past 4 years. With my lease coming to an end, thinking of getting a used car and after some research, fell in love with the look of the following models:

- used A5 SB - 2017 version with virtual cockpit (around 14k depre?), love the facelifted look, and still have 2-3 years of warranty with dealer for peace of mind

- stinger (new is about the same as a used A5) - would love to try a RWD car and it has the highest HP among all (looking at used if its around 12k-13k depre), love the look but wife hates the name (lame reason but it plays a part unfortunately)

- used XE - look elegant, RWD drive as well and seems good review.

- Harrier turbo - wife prefer SUV and she think Harrier is really good value and reliable Toyota.

Any recommendation / watch out? Thanks very much in advance 🙂 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hllow84 said:

Hello everyone, been out of the car buying scene for very long as I have been leasing car for the past 4 years. With my lease coming to an end, thinking of getting a used car and after some research, fell in love with the look of the following models:

- used A5 SB - 2017 version with virtual cockpit (around 14k depre?), love the facelifted look, and still have 2-3 years of warranty with dealer for peace of mind

- stinger (new is about the same as a used A5) - would love to try a RWD car and it has the highest HP among all (looking at used if its around 12k-13k depre), love the look but wife hates the name (lame reason but it plays a part unfortunately)

- used XE - look elegant, RWD drive as well and seems good review.

- Harrier turbo - wife prefer SUV and she think Harrier is really good value and reliable Toyota.

Any recommendation / watch out? Thanks very much in advance 🙂 

go for the easiest and happiest choice....

 

 

 

harrier turbo

🤣

  • Haha! 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Enye said:

go for the easiest and happiest choice....

 

 

 

harrier turbo

🤣

Like most people always say, you never go wrong buying a Toyota?! Lol.

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is rear seat space a consideration? Your choices differ quite a in terms of rear seat space..

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Like most people always say, you never go wrong buying a Toyota?! Lol.

What the wife says trumps what most people always say.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry should have elaborate a bit more on the Harrier Turbo, I test drove it when it first came out and feel its really underpower and I really prefer a sedan car hence would prioritize the first three on the list. Unless all 3 of them CMI then I will surrender to SUV.

No preference on rear seat space I think only my kid and small size helper will be at the back most of the time (if go full outing: 3 adults and 2 kids).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hllow84 said:

Sorry should have elaborate a bit more on the Harrier Turbo, I test drove it when it first came out and feel its really underpower and I really prefer a sedan car hence would prioritize the first three on the list. Unless all 3 of them CMI then I will surrender to SUV.

No preference on rear seat space I think only my kid and small size helper will be at the back most of the time (if go full outing: 3 adults and 2 kids).

Happy wife, Happy Life!! my 2cents...

  • Haha! 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hllow84 said:

Sorry should have elaborate a bit more on the Harrier Turbo, I test drove it when it first came out and feel its really underpower and I really prefer a sedan car hence would prioritize the first three on the list. Unless all 3 of them CMI then I will surrender to SUV.

No preference on rear seat space I think only my kid and small size helper will be at the back most of the time (if go full outing: 3 adults and 2 kids).

 

even with your elaboration....still harrier turbo

sleep easy every night....even when the car breaks down in future and the wife is inconvenienced

🤣

 

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a landslide V for Harrier :D

What I find comforting is that used Harrier has almost same depre (less than 1k diff) as the new one, does it mean the car is in great demand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)

Harrier what can break down? Does the current generation still have the gearbox issues?

@Thaiyotakamli want to share?

 

Edited by Lala81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hllow84 said:

Seems like a landslide V for Harrier :D

What I find comforting is that used Harrier has almost same depre (less than 1k diff) as the new one, does it mean the car is in great demand?

Nope. It means used car dealers are commanding such insane profit on the used cars they sell and they are hoping for people like you to take the bait into believing the Harrier is highly valuable... :D They are commanding at least 10-20k profit... the poor Harrier owner was prob lowballed hard when he sold his car away

Seriously I would take the brand new Kia Stinger, 3.3 if you have 200k to spare. You need to test drive it to get out of the myth mindset that Korean cars are cheap, crappy products. This ain't 1988. They have long passed the Hyundai Excel and Stellar times.

The Stinger will outrun all of your other choices with ease, and becos its a Kia, svcs will be easy and outside shops will be able to svcs it easily too. And Kia will be the most reliable of the lot, esp against the Euro models...by a long shot. 

Harrier is a dated platform and it lacks the design and refinement and tech powess of the competitors. If its SUV u want, you are better off with Mazda CX5 2.5, Kia Sorento SX diesel, Hyundai Tuscon 1.6T if you don't want to spend too much $$. All these are better designed than the Harrier. 

The 2 Euro brands... well you have been warned...  :D And pls, warranty from AD is as good as none if the car has issues that are more complicated than oil change and ATF change. You should aim for models that are generally very reliable and robust, instead of hoping the warranty still stands and that the AD will perform magic on your problematic car..

 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Harrier what can break down? Does the current generation still have the gearbox issues?

@Thaiyotakamli want to share?

 

If you neglect svcs and/or uses cheap or wrong consumables, see if the Harrier will break down or not la LOL

Eg many pple claimed ATF doesn't require replacement... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hllow84 said:

Hello everyone, been out of the car buying scene for very long as I have been leasing car for the past 4 years. With my lease coming to an end, thinking of getting a used car and after some research, fell in love with the look of the following models:

- used A5 SB - 2017 version with virtual cockpit (around 14k depre?), love the facelifted look, and still have 2-3 years of warranty with dealer for peace of mind

- stinger (new is about the same as a used A5) - would love to try a RWD car and it has the highest HP among all (looking at used if its around 12k-13k depre), love the look but wife hates the name (lame reason but it plays a part unfortunately)

- used XE - look elegant, RWD drive as well and seems good review.

- Harrier turbo - wife prefer SUV and she think Harrier is really good value and reliable Toyota.

Any recommendation / watch out? Thanks very much in advance 🙂 

XE has the most cramped rear and boot

A5 and stinger have liftback, easy for loading and unloading.

ask yourself, if u got a harrier....will u look at a stigner or a5, say wished i got that....haha

 

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Nope. It means used car dealers are commanding such insane profit on the used cars they sell and they are hoping for people like you to take the bait into believing the Harrier is highly valuable... :D They are commanding at least 10-20k profit... the poor Harrier owner was prob lowballed hard when he sold his car away

Seriously I would take the brand new Kia Stinger, 3.3 if you have 200k to spare. You need to test drive it to get out of the myth mindset that Korean cars are cheap, crappy products. This ain't 1988. They have long passed the Hyundai Excel and Stellar times.

The Stinger will outrun all of your other choices with ease, and becos its a Kia, svcs will be easy and outside shops will be able to svcs it easily too. And Kia will be the most reliable of the lot, esp against the Euro models...by a long shot. 

Harrier is a dated platform and it lacks the design and refinement and tech powess of the competitors. If its SUV u want, you are better off with Mazda CX5 2.5, Kia Sorento SX diesel, Hyundai Tuscon 1.6T if you don't want to spend too much $$. All these are better designed than the Harrier. 

The 2 Euro brands... well you have been warned...  :D And pls, warranty from AD is as good as none if the car has issues that are more complicated than oil change and ATF change. You should aim for models that are generally very reliable and robust, instead of hoping the warranty still stands and that the AD will perform magic on your problematic car..

 

Thanks for the enlightenment, it make sense on Harrier's used price...

Stinger 3.3 is hard to reach from my budget perspective, and 2.0 has most of the same function as well. And coming from Mazda 6 I think I might spin out 3.3 alot? haha...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SZ_ford said:

XE has the most cramped rear and boot

A5 and stinger have liftback, easy for loading and unloading.

ask yourself, if u got a harrier....will u look at a stigner or a5, say wished i got that....haha

 

Confirm will haha...Cos I am pretty much a sedan guy, still couldn't appreciate the SUV drive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Hllow84 said:

Confirm will haha...Cos I am pretty much a sedan guy, still couldn't appreciate the SUV drive...

Try a audi q3. Supposed to be the best to drive among X1, GLA etc.

Lower budget compact SUV that drives well would supposedly be Seat Ateca.

Tiagong...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

If you neglect svcs and/or uses cheap or wrong consumables, see if the Harrier will break down or not la LOL

Eg many pple claimed ATF doesn't require replacement... 

serviced by BM, scared what [:p]

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Harrier what can break down? Does the current generation still have the gearbox issues?

@Thaiyotakamli want to share?

 

Only the first 2 yrs production of harrier pi have torque converter issue but now i believe they have resolved it even for the turbo one. 

 

So harrier turbo is a good buy indeed. Quite problem free

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×