A5 sportback vs Stinger vs XE

Hllow84

5 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

That's true about the stinger, but it's base model still far out-exceeds an equivalent conti model at it's price point. 

If we're talking about any relative metric like price/performance, or price/driving pleasure, or price/features, the stinger far out-exceeds any equivalent priced conti on the market for what you get. 

If price is no object, then I would easily choose a conti, m5, m8, x7 m50i, q8, P1, DBX. No question about it. But we don't live in that world! 

In the end, it's what makes you happy. Your money. If you want to buy low-end conti because you want to own a luxury brand, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wouldn't.

There is one point that makes the stinger not so attractive. You go to the same servicing centre as all the Ceratos etc. No priority or good customer service, compared to the Conti makes. I have owned Jap cars before and now a Conti. The customer service by the SEs even after they have completed the sale, the privileges of being the Conti owner, the SAs at the service centre, it’s different.

The stinger is not like Lexus whereby it is separate from Toyota. That’s one point I think Kia might have done better. Maybe a sub brand or something.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, PSP415 said:

Seems to tick most of the boxes except not on his list😅 

Budget dp $50k, monthly instalment at $1.2-$1.5k. Need for speed and space quite there. Looks maybe pales to stinger and a4/a5 as what defines beautiful is subjective.

But stinger gets my vote from the list too.

Age catches up rather fast so ears can be tone deaf or as a bro shared b4, this helps 😅 :Screenshot_20191205-221837_Gallery.thumb.jpg.e6ef9b2b15eb6ccb7272ff5da10852a0.jpg

I think that listing price is wrong

should be ard 116k and its negotiable

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

That's true about the stinger, but it's base model still far out-exceeds an equivalent conti model at it's price point. 

If we're talking about any relative metric like price/performance, or price/driving pleasure, or price/features, the stinger far out-exceeds any equivalent priced conti on the market for what you get. 

If price is no object, then I would easily choose a conti, m5, m8, x7 m50i, q8, P1, DBX. No question about it. But we don't live in that world! 

In the end, it's what makes you happy. Your money. If you want to buy low-end conti because you want to own a luxury brand, there's nothing wrong with that. I just wouldn't.

I think everyone goes through the cheap conti badge conscious phase, myself included. Most likely in your late 30s. Mine was a BMW X1. Rubbish car to be honest.

Nowadays, the top sellers are the conti makes. Even C-Class is so common, so I wonder what is the snob appeal.

So if I were to advise, it would be to buy a car that is powerful yet comfortable, something which you look forward to driving everyday, rather than a car which you think can impress others.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Fitmugen said:

I think everyone goes through the cheap conti badge conscious phase, myself included. Most likely in your late 30s. Mine was a BMW X1. Rubbish car to be honest.

Nowadays, the top sellers are the conti makes. Even C-Class is so common, so I wonder what is the snob appeal.

So if I were to advise, it would be to buy a car that is powerful yet comfortable, something which you look forward to driving everyday, rather than a car which you think can impress others.

Good point bro 

7 hours ago, Midorima said:

There is one point that makes the stinger not so attractive. You go to the same servicing centre as all the Ceratos etc. No priority or good customer service, compared to the Conti makes. I have owned Jap cars before and now a Conti. The customer service by the SEs even after they have completed the sale, the privileges of being the Conti owner, the SAs at the service centre, it’s different.

The stinger is not like Lexus whereby it is separate from Toyota. That’s one point I think Kia might have done better. Maybe a sub brand or something.

Ah bro, have u visited any BM svc centers in SG? The reception may be separated from the 'low SES' Toyota crowd, but your super ex Lexus LS600h will be parked next to a Vios and attended to by the same group of tech. The only diff is that perhaps you will get faster svcs since more techs will work on your LS600h at any given time 

And despite Toyota's effort in making Lexus as 'unique' as possible, it is still a Toyota and there are plenty of common parts used among the models. 

Good customer svcs ah... its to be expected since you've overpaid your LS600h by so much.. 

Previleges of being a conti owner? :D Do you get faster and more importantly, expert workmanship and knowledge than what the outside shops can offer? 

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Ah bro, have u visited any BM svc centers in SG? The reception may be separated from the 'low SES' Toyota crowd, but your super ex Lexus LS600h will be parked next to a Vios and attended to by the same group of tech. The only diff is that perhaps you will get faster svcs since more techs will work on your LS600h at any given time 

And despite Toyota's effort in making Lexus as 'unique' as possible, it is still a Toyota and there are plenty of common parts used among the models. 

Good customer svcs ah... its to be expected since you've overpaid your LS600h by so much.. 

Previleges of being a conti owner? :D Do you get faster and more importantly, expert workmanship and knowledge than what the outside shops can offer? 

Just go check Audiworld membership. Discounts, free movie tickets, free motorshow tickets. Every now and then have promotions also. Before you shoot your mouth maybe you can do some research.

And not sure why u used such a high end Lexus model. The IS would be a better example. Price close to stinger. Then your overpaying point doesn’t seem so sound already.

Also, to me, and on SG roads, Stinger’s drive and speed is not so useful. Explains why it’s still not commonly seen, and the general public would rather get a Conti. Not all are car enthusiasts, and if they are not, they r not on this forum.

Oh and the wife factor. How many would support the stinger choice for the price? Haha

Edited by Midorima

31 minutes ago, Midorima said:

Just go check Audiworld membership. Discounts, free movie tickets, free motorshow tickets.

Also, to me, and on SG roads, Stinger’s drive and speed is not so useful. Explains why it’s still not commonly seen, and the general public would rather get a Conti. Not all are car enthusiasts, and if they are not, they r not on this forum.

for what you over pay to premium auto, these are chump change.

no wonder owning a conti breeds a certain air of superiority,

sorry i low class... these rubbish freebies don't interest me. i can always pay for it myself if and when i want.

around 250bhp is a nice amount of power for the local roads. usually generated from a turbo 2.0L lump which is roadtax and FC friendly.   sorry to say that maybe you have not yet tasted power.

being in this forum, the drive does matter some, to everyone here. if its just looks and color, why bother asking the forum.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 3

It's just between A5 and Stinger. TS shd just test drive both and tell us which camp he belongs to.

I'm neither cuz I would go for Superb too 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

I would say most people will go for brand image.

do I really need 300bhp to drive around orchard road and highway? perhaps you "may" need it for your holiday trip up north.

between the mentioned 2 cars, I will take a5 anytime, and the new a5 look dam hell of sexy.

Edited by Lava
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Midorima said:

Just go check Audiworld membership. Discounts, free movie tickets, free motorshow tickets. Every now and then have promotions also. Before you shoot your mouth maybe you can do some research.

And not sure why u used such a high end Lexus model. The IS would be a better example. Price close to stinger. Then your overpaying point doesn’t seem so sound already.

Oh and the wife factor. How many would support the stinger choice for the price? Haha

All these are totally irrelevant to overall car ownership experience. These so called free things are actually prepaid by you at insane marked up prices already. And what good would say, free movie tickets serve if your fancy conti model keep breaking down and you spend more time in AD workshop for troubleshooting? 

And as I've said before, there is a general lack of highly skilled auto technicians in most ADs. Those that are really good, regardless of their nationality, they would very much prefer to setup their own shops, the exact kind of shops that most of you Conti lovers loath, after working in AD for awhile. Who wants to spend the rest of their working life working for AD with a low fixed pay when they can command better future with the skills and experiences they have gathered over the years. 

In short, its not true that going back to AD=all problem solved. At least not in SG context if your conti model is unreliable by design. You need someone who can ID where the problems are and, as much as possible, come up with solutions that are BETTER than what the production line people can do. Replacing unreliable parts with new unreliable parts is not going to make your life easier. You are just delaying the faults for x amount of months over and over again until the warranty runs out and you have to junk the car due to prohibitive parts prices.  

I used the LS as an eg to highlight the extremes scenario since from your previous posts, you have a strong tenancy to glorify the so called 'benefits' and High SES feel of owning expensive Conti models. Using IS300 is not going to change the argument much for the profit margin for IS is anything but low. 

Stinger is not commonly seen doesn't mean its no good. Similarly common seen models DOESN'T mean they are great models.... eg Attrage, Sienta? :D The main reason, IMO, is still the badge snobs attitude most sinkies still possess. They do not give themselves a chance to check out the Stinger objectively. 

Seriously other than the 3 pointed badge upfront, for $150k, in what way can the GLA180 be better than the Stinger 2L? Specs, design, features, build quality, performance?  :D Or the AD service dept reception room ambiance and the 'free gifts' you get from buying the GLA180? :D LOL 

• Praise 1

43 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

All these are totally irrelevant to overall car ownership experience. These so called free things are actually prepaid by you at insane marked up prices already. And what good would say, free movie tickets serve if your fancy conti model keep breaking down and you spend more time in AD workshop for troubleshooting? 

And as I've said before, there is a general lack of highly skilled auto technicians in most ADs. Those that are really good, regardless of their nationality, they would very much prefer to setup their own shops, the exact kind of shops that most of you Conti lovers loath, after working in AD for awhile. Who wants to spend the rest of their working life working for AD with a low fixed pay when they can command better future with the skills and experiences they have gathered over the years. 

In short, its not true that going back to AD=all problem solved. At least not in SG context if your conti model is unreliable by design. You need someone who can ID where the problems are and, as much as possible, come up with solutions that are BETTER than what the production line people can do. Replacing unreliable parts with new unreliable parts is not going to make your life easier. You are just delaying the faults for x amount of months over and over again until the warranty runs out and you have to junk the car due to prohibitive parts prices.  

I used the LS as an eg to highlight the extremes scenario since from your previous posts, you have a strong tenancy to glorify the so called 'benefits' and High SES feel of owning expensive Conti models. Using IS300 is not going to change the argument much for the profit margin for IS is anything but low. 

Stinger is not commonly seen doesn't mean its no good. Similarly common seen models DOESN'T mean they are great models.... eg Attrage, Sienta? :D The main reason, IMO, is still the badge snobs attitude most sinkies still possess. They do not give themselves a chance to check out the Stinger objectively. 

Seriously other than the 3 pointed badge upfront, for $150k, in what way can the GLA180 be better than the Stinger 2L? Specs, design, features, build quality, performance?  :D Or the AD service dept reception room ambiance and the 'free gifts' you get from buying the GLA180? :D LOL 

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I noticed you bash contis every time like they did something to you. So what actually happened?

The stinger is a good car, I’ve never said it’s not. It’s a comparison now. I would take the A5 anytime. That’s my opinion. If u also look at it objectively, u might have a different view. As for your point on commonly seen, u can’t use attrage etc.  It’s probably good for that price you pay? I’m saying Stinger is not cheap and that’s why most may not find it value for money.

People might say stinger is better choice and stuff, but they r not the ones buying. When it comes to buying, will u actually buy it? You may, but I’m afraid most would not.

YouTube reviews do not give the stinger too much credit as well. Example.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/kia/stinger-gt

Every body likes the underdog, the less popular choice, to be different. But when it comes to a real decision, like spending money, will u take the underdog?

Anyway, I don’t think TS meant for these type of responses. So I will recommend A5 to him, at least the wife might possibly accept it more.

Edited by Midorima
  • Praise 4

to be fair, the A5 is not an entry model junk car like A3 or CLA. I would say Audi is very clever to insert A5 as a sporty sedan that appeals to the successful corporate executive type. It sure looks better than C180 and 3-series.

With that budget, I would definitely say Skoda Superb. Anyone driving that comes across as someone with individuality and confidence. You’ll never see a road hogging auntie driving a Superb, unlike the big 3 German makes

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

To each his/her own. Some do place a lot of value on the badge.

Some prefer performance/value for money.

Happy can already 🙂 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Midorima said:

Wah lao eh. All these $20 freebies cannot be the reason why you buy a $150k car leh.
But with Singaporeans you’ll never know. I always see rich uncles and aunties reading newspaper and drinking free coffee at UOB and DBS preferred banking branches, not as if their homes got no chair. There is something about free stuff that makes people shiok 

• Haha! 4

9 minutes ago, Fitmugen said:

Wah lao eh. All these $20 freebies cannot be the reason why you buy a $150k car leh.
But with Singaporeans you’ll never know. I always see rich uncles and aunties reading newspaper and drinking free coffee at UOB and DBS preferred banking branches, not as if their homes got no chair. There is something about free stuff that makes people shiok 

tsk tsk.....you hit the nail on the head.

its the air of superiority and being seen with OOOO or in a preferred banking branch....

3 hours ago, Midorima said:

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I noticed you bash contis every time like they did something to you. So what actually happened?

The stinger is a good car, I’ve never said it’s not. It’s a comparison now. I would take the A5 anytime. That’s my opinion. If u also look at it objectively, u might have a different view. As for your point on commonly seen, u can’t use attrage etc.  It’s probably good for that price you pay? I’m saying Stinger is not cheap and that’s why most may not find it value for money.

People might say stinger is better choice and stuff, but they r not the ones buying. When it comes to buying, will u actually buy it? You may, but I’m afraid most would not.

YouTube reviews do not give the stinger too much credit as well. Example.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/kia/stinger-gt

Every body likes the underdog, the less popular choice, to be different. But when it comes to a real decision, like spending money, will u take the underdog?

Anyway, I don’t think TS meant for these type of responses. So I will recommend A5 to him, at least the wife might possibly accept it more.

our opinions will always be subjective. the best way to see which car is ''better'', maybe can see the sales figure. i wonder if can pull out from any website

↡ Advertisement