Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2019

Watwheels

Who was stuck in the jam caused by the stupiak run? Pui! 

From Business Insider.

https://www.businessinsider.sg/stanchart-singapore-marathon-named-among-worlds-worst-marathons-just-days-before-causing-traffic-nightmare-in-the-city/

StanChart Singapore marathon named among world’s worst marathons, just days before causing traffic nightmare in the city

Worst-10.png

Organisers of the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon may be pleased with the positive feedback it received for its first-ever night race in the Republic, but there are probably some outstanding issues it still needs to address.

These issues go beyond causing some of the worst traffic jams downtown Singapore has seen in years last Saturday (Nov 30). According to a recently published ranking of the world’s major marathons, the annual run in Singapore’s city centre is one of the worst in the world.

Only two other marathons worldwide were ranked below StanChart’s Singapore marathon – the Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur Marathon and the IDBI Federal Life Insurance New Delhi Marathon

From CNA

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/standard-chartered-singapore-marathon-race-organiser-traffic-jam-12154350

Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon apologises, says traffic studies carried out before race

This year's race was held for the first time at night. The new evening format was part of the organiser's bid to further the appeal of the race and improve the marathon's chances of being inducted into the Abbott World Marathon Majors, a series of the largest and most renowned marathons.  

Not supporting Standchart for causing massive jams around city area during dinner time. Told my wife to cancel her account with them. 😂

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

wedding-stan-chart.thumb.png.d4e91dd9a8c3cadb20ec2d4a8058e3ea.png

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/standard-chartered-marathon-wedding-ruined/

Unfortunately for one couple in Singapore who held their wedding in town, this congestion resulted in major disruptions to their wedding programme.

In a Facebook post by Lee Jianming on Dec. 4, he shared how his wedding had been delayed on Saturday (Nov. 30).

Lee shared with Mothership that their wedding took place at Marina Mandarin, and they were expecting around 350 guests to arrive.

Their wedding was supposed to start at 7:00pm.

However, by that time, 80 to 90 per cent of guests had not arrived — including the groom’s parents, who were apparently stuck in traffic for three hours.

“I went down at 7:10pm and saw nobody at the cocktail area,” Lee said.

Most unfortunately, some of their relatives also had to miss the wedding entirely as they were stuck in traffic and it “wasn’t moving at all”.

In his post, he also shared that the stress from everything made his wife break down in tears “due to the disappointment that she wasn’t able to pull off everything she planned”.

Lee explained that his wife had taken an entire year to shortlist, contact and engage various vendors for the event, including videographers, photographers, as well as wedding stylists.

And in the end, most of the vendors were all terribly late, he said.

“She was inconsolable,” Lee told Mothership, and shared that they felt a “sense of helplessness” towards the disruptions.

Lee told us that dinner started only around 9:00pm, after most of their guests finally arrived.

And typically, he said that they have to start clearing out the banquet hall from 10:30pm onwards. However, due to the delays, their event ended only at about 11:45pm.

Their venue stylist, videographers and photographers were paid by the hour.

Thankfully, Lee told us that these vendors waived the extra hours they had to work so the couple did not have to pay extra for their services.

He also expressed relief that the event was over.

• Praise 6

Once the timing of SCSM is out, i will definitely nego with hotel to change the date.  Even though it might cost me a lot of $$$.

It is stupid to continue with it.

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

wedding-stan-chart.thumb.png.d4e91dd9a8c3cadb20ec2d4a8058e3ea.png

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/standard-chartered-marathon-wedding-ruined/

Unfortunately for one couple in Singapore who held their wedding in town, this congestion resulted in major disruptions to their wedding programme.

In a Facebook post by Lee Jianming on Dec. 4, he shared how his wedding had been delayed on Saturday (Nov. 30).

Lee shared with Mothership that their wedding took place at Marina Mandarin, and they were expecting around 350 guests to arrive.

Their wedding was supposed to start at 7:00pm.

However, by that time, 80 to 90 per cent of guests had not arrived — including the groom’s parents, who were apparently stuck in traffic for three hours.

“I went down at 7:10pm and saw nobody at the cocktail area,” Lee said.

Most unfortunately, some of their relatives also had to miss the wedding entirely as they were stuck in traffic and it “wasn’t moving at all”.

In his post, he also shared that the stress from everything made his wife break down in tears “due to the disappointment that she wasn’t able to pull off everything she planned”.

Lee explained that his wife had taken an entire year to shortlist, contact and engage various vendors for the event, including videographers, photographers, as well as wedding stylists.

And in the end, most of the vendors were all terribly late, he said.

“She was inconsolable,” Lee told Mothership, and shared that they felt a “sense of helplessness” towards the disruptions.

Lee told us that dinner started only around 9:00pm, after most of their guests finally arrived.

And typically, he said that they have to start clearing out the banquet hall from 10:30pm onwards. However, due to the delays, their event ended only at about 11:45pm.

Their venue stylist, videographers and photographers were paid by the hour.

Thankfully, Lee told us that these vendors waived the extra hours they had to work so the couple did not have to pay extra for their services.

He also expressed relief that the event was over.

The thing is did the hotel banquet manager inform them of the forthcoming  hiccups to be anticipated going forward with such a date and just less than 500m from the affected roads; I mean myself as the runner had to walk 2km to F1 pit  ( fine by me ) but not the ‘dressed to kill ‘ public for sure 

• Praise 6

Stand Chart marathon has been planned way ahead in Jan. Stack holders around affected has been engaged. Hospitals to hotels were engaged. Did the hotel act accordingly to inform guest of wedding plan and banquet?

One thing IronMan inc can do better is have more in your face posters keeping the public more informed. People tends to forget news flashes or radio announcements especially for events that doesn't interest them. 

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, BanCoe said:

The thing is did the hotel banquet manager inform them of the forthcoming  hiccups to be anticipated going forward with such a date and just less than 500m from the affected roads; I mean myself as the runner had to walk 2km to F1 pit  ( fine by me ) but not the ‘dressed to kill ‘ public for sure 

all your fault la ............ see la . make the bride cry :grin:  

The biggest concern is not "U dressed to kill ", it is U "Naked to kill" that we are worry about. 

😂

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

OOii!! I shoot to kill hor!! :grin:This type I like (bride in distress)

Hantu type 👺(BM type) U like, every1 knows     

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Never hold your wedding dinner in the city on a weekend.

You never know what events might cropped up to take away your dinner.

Authorities love to have plenty of events on a weekend in the city.

3 hours ago, Ender said:

Stand Chart marathon has been planned way ahead in Jan. Stack holders around affected has been engaged. Hospitals to hotels were engaged. Did the hotel act accordingly to inform guest of wedding plan and banquet?

One thing IronMan inc can do better is have more in your face posters keeping the public more informed. People tends to forget news flashes or radio announcements especially for events that doesn't interest them. 

In fact whenever I jog on ECP every week seems like almost every weekend surely somehow got some kind of event one (can see the lamposts A4 paper size signage everywhere) and after the lagoon Angsana green can see tentages or some kinds of balloon like gantries or stuff/ chairs makeshift stages or generators left over from the previous days events  , even near Central Thai also ; but those are minor Company events or activities and crowds are not so big until like this one city become paralyzed , Rightly said even F1, I also boh chup go in and kenna 1hour jam and still go in ; but since got multiple places to go no choice like wanting to go to Middle Road and still get stuck because of peripheral traffic diverted from other places...... its the diverted traffic which is the real choker, the only way to reduce traffic would be to start at mid night 12am (like Sundown) so runners can still catch the last train and participants will take public transport and by the time they finish after 5-6 hours and resting off.... trains would have started again ....... but I guess people say StanChart copied Sundown 👀... lost novelty/originality 

Best is to start at Stadium vicinity, go all the way to Changi Airport (via East Coast Park) and U turn back .... anyway let the eggsperts decide.... we just heckcare go and have a good time 😁; @Angcheek  will purposely get married on that date next year so he can squeeze a good discount:yuush:

Anyways this year the pretzels was a unique idea I must say.... though did not like them very much but eazy to eat on the go.....dont know if they have good energy though     

But one thing I must admit the Cisco or guards manning the closures.... had no knowledge or info ( absolutely dumb founded - no proper training provided by the Organiser I blame solely )  for the stranded drivers how to get around as the roads just kept going in a loop to nowhere; I was kind of pissed off by them as people were trying to exit the city but just kept going round and round ( I was stuck near MBF /Robinson Road/Central Boulevard Area  and wanted to get to Rochore/ Beach Road) I can quite imagine the exasperation of the other drivers..... as for me I just got off at Tong Eng and hiked 2km warm up to F1 pit)      

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 4

13 hours ago, Ender said:

its upto the client to perform due diligence.

Just like tender process. There may not be full transparencies as its not good for business. Who would want to tell someone.. "err u dont book hor and KPKB because got maraton run."

Edited by Sdf4786k

Is all boils down to planning of big events. With so many big stakeholders and major organisations organising various events all around the same vicinity,  it is expected.  Maybe if you are expecting crowd of more than 2000, you need to apply a police permit. With that, the authority would be able to publish expected crowd for that day, then organizers know if they should postpone their events. 

49 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

its upto the client to perform due diligence.

Just like tender process. There may not be full transparencies as its not good for business. Who would want to tell someone.. "err u dont book hor and KPKB because got maraton run."

Wedding banquets are usually booked 1 year in advance. The couples wouldn't even know it will clash with marathon, and there isn't much option to change after knowing about the marathon.

7 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Wedding banquets are usually booked 1 year in advance. The couples wouldn't even know it will clash with marathon, and there isn't much option to change after knowing about the marathon.

not necessarily 1 year. But yeah, those popular dates like 8.8 or 9.9 usually goes quite fast if u into those.

(edited)

I think ppl never read or they never do marathon in Singapore before.

Whoever the idiot it (yes, it) organised the run on a SATURDAY NIGHT! One week only got one Saturday night when ppl go out to enjoy dinner and a drink or do CHRISTMAS fxxking shopping. Marathons in Singapore are done on a freaking SUNDAY MORNING when normal ppl are still enjoying their sleep.

CCB really kumgong. Bank should stick to doing banking stuff. Jiak bah so eng can organise marathon. So many zho boh and jiak liao bee banking staff that they have got time to organise a run and they did it so badly.

Epic failure. Want to chut pattern also dont use their brains. The low level bank staff LL have to work on a saturday night too. Whoever the Indian chief is a sadist who like to takan ppl and make others' weekend miserable.

It's no wonder they are 4 out 10 on the top 10 worst marathon.

You dont have to do traffic studies in the city when it's a Saturday night.

Edited by Watwheels

Why F1 is over the weekend you know why this would be world event also weekend and in the evening peak hours. So, this is the show case centre for Singapore to the world.  Maybe they should state officially in the annual calendar F1, Marathon,  National day and whatever other major events. Others should avoid these dates.

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Why F1 is over the weekend you know why this would be world event also weekend and in the evening peak hours. So, this is the show case centre for Singapore to the world.  Maybe they should state officially in the annual calendar F1, Marathon,  National day and whatever other major events. Others should avoid these dates.

F1 track length in Sgp is a 5km loop. A marathon covers a 42 km and it's not in a loop. See the difference. Why F1 dont create so much of a chaos as compared to a marathon. NDP is confined to a small area with a water body that nobody use. The road closure do not affect other roads.

CMI. Stick to early Sunday mornings and place marathons in Changi and east coast park.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1