Cross Island Line to take direct route across sgp

Didu

I also feel it's an unnecessary project not just in terms of cost but the destruction to one of the last pristine places in SG.

To add on to the cost, all the wayang studies and pseudo consultation exercises so common when national-scale projects are involved ... we all knew from the start it was a foregone conclusion anyway, to select the direct route.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

32 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

image.png.4e40b35beceed3d559ae0e23a1dd45bc.png

If I can give you 200 praises and borrow another 200 praises for this audio, I promise you I will do it....:XD::grin::grin:

Limbey is laugh until tears also rolling down, cannot control.

2 tunnels for the price of one, using the calculator and $29.20....[laugh][laugh][laugh]

i tot you my generation one? should know this.

"why you so like dat" album

2 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yah same generation one...:XD:

Why you so like that, why you so like that!!!!  Classic!!! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

9 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

boomer generation hor....:grin:

Currently, downtown and circle line eats into existing lines (EW/NS/NE) revenue.  With Thomson & Cross Island line, it will further eat into all existing lines revenue.

This will force consolidation of MRT operator on this island.  There is no economy of scale for the smaller operator.

5 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, downtown and circle line eats into existing lines (EW/NS/NE) revenue.  With Thomson & Cross Island line, it will further eat into all existing lines revenue.

This will force consolidation of MRT operator on this island.  There is no economy of scale for the smaller operator.

Huh? Both operators are temasek companies, it is a cost plus model.  What consolidation?  The arrangement is there for a reason.

14 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Huh? Both operators are temasek companies, it is a cost plus model.  What consolidation?  The arrangement is there for a reason.

It is not a cost plus model.  Revenue is based on fare revenue rather than fixed fee.

Temasek does not directly own Comfort/SBS 

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

It is not a cost plus model.  Revenue is based on fare revenue rather than fixed fee.

They bid for the contract as assets are owned by G, so it is a contractor model.

Thanks for the correction. Didn't realize already offloaded a while back.

So another monopoly soon?

4 hours ago, RadX said:

boomer generation hor....:grin:

no hor, me is  Gen X hor, you want boomer you ownself go OK boomer ok......[:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Voodooman said:

They bid for the contract as assets are owned by G, so it is a contractor model.

Thanks for the correction. Didn't realize already offloaded a while back.

So another monopoly soon?

Since revenue is based on fare revenue, it is not a contractor model.

On the other hand, operator is responsible for both operation and maintenance cost.  For older lines like NS/EW, cost will outweigh revenue.

Singapore Labour Foundation was major shareholder of Comfort.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

i'm sad that they are going ahead with this massive project...

other than impacting our precious nature reserve, another mrt line means that they will have to consider sufficient ridership to keep it afloat and profitable

how to increase ridership? pump the population lor 

10m population target is coming 😡

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Scion said:

i'm sad that they are going ahead with this massive project...

other than impacting our precious nature reserve, another mrt line means that they will have to consider sufficient ridership to keep it afloat and profitable

how to increase ridership? pump the population lor 

10m population target is coming 😡

Build more mrt lines, so that they can increase the population to 10m or even more, people would not complain that infrastructure cannot cope?! Lol.

• Praise 1

For me, the purpose of MRT is to ensure connectivity to transport masses. So, idea is to have a spider web network that link the entire island. So, when you core deep under to bypass a straight line to save 6 mins, it is a wasted line. You won't have stations along this stretch.  Someday later, you would need to run another line to serve what would have been done now.

20 hours ago, RadX said:

all those stay thomson....be like

heng ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

and after the train stop, take a lift of 25 stories upwards . building things underground while help remove space restrictions is also quite costly. Ask those in the industry how much was the cost of building the carpark at esplanade and your balls will drop.

The complexity of digging and worst if the soil composite is mostly clay. then even worst.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

For me, the purpose of MRT is to ensure connectivity to transport masses. So, idea is to have a spider web network that link the entire island. So, when you core deep under to bypass a straight line to save 6 mins, it is a wasted line. You won't have stations along this stretch.  Someday later, you would need to run another line to serve what would have been done now.

I don't quite agree. For those staying in the Northeast and working in the west and vice versa, it will make a difference. You have also not take into account the energy cost to run a longer route over 20-30 years. 

The Punggol LRT cost less than $360m to build in aggregate, with the $2b savings, there are lots that can be done to ensure connectivity in the areas surrounding the nature reserves. 

I am no expert, just TCSS using Google. 😀

Supercharged

Imagine the Bishan portal type of flooding in the 2km section than runs under the reserve!!

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/cross-island-line-debate-misses-elephant-in-room

"By going through a tract of primary and secondary forests, the Land Transport Authority would not only do irreparable damage to a pristine habitat nestling around our reservoirs, but it will also be rendering up to 4km of the 50km rail project void of patronage and revenue.

The Nature Society's suggestion of an alternative route is sound, even if its primary consideration is to prevent the destruction of indigenous flora and fauna.

The route calls for the line to loop around the southern edges of the nature reserve. This actually will allow it to serve residents in Thomson, Lornie and Adam roads, not to mention the massive development planned for Bukit Brown.

Align it a bit farther south, and it can even serve Balestier, a bustling hub that does not have any MRT planned as yet.

The LTA says the alternative route would entail longer travelling time, higher cost, more land acquisition, and possibly bigger engineering challenges associated with going through a more built-up area. These reasons hold little merit when compared with the benefits of serving a larger community.

And if travelling time were such a huge concern, surely we should look to things such as speedier trains, better synchronicity between train and platform doors, and a more sophisticated signalling system?

Admittedly, a diversion will cost more than going straight through the forest. But then again, think of the larger benefit. The higher ridership and revenue that come with a line that serves populated areas instead of an uninhabited nature reserve will pay for the higher cost over the lifetime of the line. So, let's not be penny-wise and pound-foolish."

• Praise 1

Supercharged
14 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Probably has to do with almost half of the CCL stations being in AMK GRC.

↡ Advertisement