0.7 % foreign scholarship holders are Indian nationals.

Playtime

8 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Actually you dont know for sure all elites go to USA or europe.  If you are talking about the politically connected students, yes I agree.  But academically inclined students of average background?  Who knows?  It's like hedging the bets that some will become of certain stature in the future in their country.

Responsibility?  Of cos.  Ultimately the minister for education is responsible for this.  

Unfortunately, not sure which minister said this, with high pay, no minister would ever resign of his own volition unless sacked or forced to.  Even if he wanted to, his wife would stop him.

So that is why sometimes it seems that accountability is absent. 

We rarely attracts talent from 北上廣深。These are elites. The most we attract talent from 2nd tier cities like Tianjin.

We can’t compete with USA or Europe for 2nd gen of PRC province official. That’s elite of elite.

Well, we can forget about elitest of elite.

No matter how friendly we are with PRC official, in time of “crisis”, CCP interest is the top priority. Just look at Terrex.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

No problem with scholarship but limit the ratio for citizen. Declare openly, nothing to hide and no PDPA issue.

Work permits, passes and whatever, we want to know. Please don't hide and BS. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

? The article is about pre-u scholarship.... I think singaporean get almost free education...

Precisely why they specifically limit to pre U only. Hoping people miss the point.

This is the highest form of fake news. A veneer of official respectability applied on rubbish to deliberately divert attention and lead people into dead ends and false trails. 

And if questioned,  play victim,  and maybe sue people. 

That's why alternative news sites are in demand... for better for worst, cos they actually have more responsibility than given credit for when the MSM is often scrapping barrels. 

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

No problem with scholarship but limit the ratio for citizen. Declare openly, nothing to hide and no PDPA issue.

I would advocate that new citizens must also be clearly declared. It's a statistical loop hole to bury numbers. 

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

We rarely attracts talent from 北上廣深。These are elites. The most we attract talent from 2nd tier cities like Tianjin.

We can’t compete with USA or Europe for 2nd gen of PRC province official. That’s elite of elite.

No matter how friendly we are with PRC official, in time of “crisis”, CCP interest is the top priority. Just look at Terrex.

We do attract investment from Indian. That's the reason why most banks has a dept called NRI or Non resident Indians that manage the Wealth Management piece. It's super huge business.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

I supposed it a newsworthy response for experts to have a Data Analyst to publish how Big data is use - worth the "education" aspect to help remove ambiguity and how data stats work and why it's relevant in todays world.  How 1700 means in one data set and vs another and whats the correct interpretation.

But as long as the 1700 indian who gotten the scolarship via the same strigent critiria, I doubt theres much of a discussion.

And who are we to question why so many of the indians has scholarship. Does it not spur us to do more to also get a scholarship? or are singaporean children just not good enough. from what I see, we should be happy because 99.3 % are singaporean vs 0.7 % are Indian or is this not what it is saying ?

Twincharged

Up to Pre U, there are currently 1700 foreign students on scholarship.

Of the 1700, only 12 students are from India.

Edited by sake

2 hours ago, sake said:

Up to Pre U, there are currently 1700 foreign students on scholarship.

Of the 1700, only 12 students are from India.

Depends on what angle you approach. 

If not for mumbai financial centre,  Chennai business park, a destroyed local IT industry.. would people have even noticed?

Even removing ceca issue,  why hide tertiary data? That's the killer... even when village help village mentality are discounted,  locals being told not important to get degrees while fake and real FT degrees are flooding the job markets.... and it seems many of those degrees are also paid for by the taxes of the jobless locals..

3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

We do attract investment from Indian. That's the reason why most banks has a dept called NRI or Non resident Indians that manage the Wealth Management piece. It's super huge business.

I used to be in a NRI department couple of years back of a major offshore bank.

I wouldn't say the business is worth the effort compared to what Private Bank brings in :whisper:

• Praise 1

20 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Actually you dont know for sure all elites go to USA or europe.  If you are talking about the politically connected students, yes I agree.  But academically inclined students of average background?  Who knows?  It's like hedging the bets that some will become of certain stature in the future in their country.

Responsibility?  Of cos.  Ultimately the minister for education is responsible for this.  

Unfortunately, not sure which minister said this, with high pay, no minister would ever resign of his own volition unless sacked or forced to.  Even if he wanted to, his wife would stop him.

So that is why sometimes it seems that accountability is absent. 

By your same logic, you also don't know for sure that it is the elites that are coming here. Or even the 2nd tier elites.

Minister of education is responsible but you said the results will only be evident many years in the future. Where will the minister of education be then? 5 feet under? Dig him up and make him responsible? 

12 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Exactly. Those who have studied in local unis will know it. Sure there are a few brilliant scholars but the majority are just so-so.

A local student of their calibre would never get a full-ride scholarship but somehow the foreigners are eligible.

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kusje said:

By your same logic, you also don't know for sure that it is the elites that are coming here. Or even the 2nd tier elites.

Minister of education is responsible but you said the results will only be evident many years in the future. Where will the minister of education be then? 5 feet under? Dig him up and make him responsible? 

If sufficient people feel that way, why not make it known at the ballot box?  😅 Tiagong its next year only.

• Haha! 1

20 hours ago, Windwaver said:

I used to be in a NRI department couple of years back of a major offshore bank.

I wouldn't say the business is worth the effort compared to what Private Bank brings in :whisper:

in order to be good in NRI, you need to speak the language as well as reciprocal benefits lol 

13 hours ago, Kusje said:

Exactly. Those who have studied in local unis will know it. Sure there are a few brilliant scholars but the majority are just so-so.

A local student of their calibre would never get a full-ride scholarship but somehow the foreigners are eligible.

thats quite scandalous .. be tackful of the comments..

I would think that "perception" wise and results may defer from foreigners vs locals who seems to perform better.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

thats quite scandalous .. be tackful of the comments..

I would think that "perception" wise and results may defer from foreigners vs locals who seems to perform better.

haha. now cannot write opinion already?

my opinion is that those scholars cannot make it. 

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Kusje said:

haha. now cannot write opinion already?

my opinion is that those scholars cannot make it. 

can.. just try to be iffy at times so that u dont limkopi .. just like people sometimes mention Auntie Lucy instead of the famous brand name supermart

• Haha! 1

On 12/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, Inlinefour said:

my tiongkok born singaporean friend kids all got scholarship one

dun play play pink ic one leh

Most important question ........... Chio bo first ? ☺️

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

41 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Most important question ........... Chio bo first ? ☺️

Whenever hubby back tiongkok I will take care wife

me not teeko cheeko hor

Just helping new citizens adapting to sinkie slump