0.7 % foreign scholarship holders are Indian nationals.

Playtime

MOE quotes 1 in 16,000 students derived from this percentage. But it is a misleading figure because it includes the entire student population in secondary level and pre-U, and as we know, scholars are concentrated only in certain elite institutions

MOE should give a breakdown, reveal this percentage for secondary level (and even then, for select group of elite schools only where scholars typically are posted) and pre-U. Then we talk about how the percentage looks like.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 5

What caught my eye...

"One in 16,000 secondary, pre-U students is a scholarship holder from India, says MOE in response to online talk"

Unquote

Why only up to pre U?? why exclude post pre U data?? 🤔

"International students on scholarships currently make up 0.9 per cent of secondary and pre-university students here, amounting to more than 1,700 students."

Unquote

What does these secondary and pre U students contribute to or economy and security? Or are they all defence scientist in waiting... compared to how many(?) local born students on scholarship. 

"The spokesman added: "Some of the international students eventually sink roots here."

Unquote

So how much per student?

Compared to poor citizens who get their result slips Chong gong.

And still.... where the fish is the post pre U data🤔

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Playtime said:

What caught my eye...

"One in 16,000 secondary, pre-U students is a scholarship holder from India, says MOE in response to online talk"

Unquote

Why only up to pre U?? why exclude post pre U data?? 🤔

"International students on scholarships currently make up 0.9 per cent of secondary and pre-university students here, amounting to more than 1,700 students."

Unquote

What does these secondary and pre U students contribute to or economy and security? Or are they all defence scientist in waiting... compared to how many(?) local born students on scholarship. 

"The spokesman added: "Some of the international students eventually sink roots here."

Unquote

So how much per student?

Compared to poor citizens who get their result slips Chong gong.

And still.... where the fish is the post pre U data🤔

"Sink roots" and become more Ramesh here ... you want?? ... Mai lah ... please just go [laugh]

• Praise 7

1 hour ago, Sosaria said:

"Sink roots" and become more Ramesh here ... you want?? ... Mai lah ... please just go [laugh]

In the first place should not even offer to pay them to come. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Why this subject respond so fast with data and CECA so quiet without data or I missed them?

Election coming, POFMA to deal with those more clearcut "fake news" while statistics at play for misinformation that don't fit into fake news category. For the rest of the missing information, just have to pray hard that people forget about it. 

• Praise 9

5 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Election coming, POFMA to deal with those more clearcut "fake news" while statistics at play for misinformation that don't fit into fake news category. For the rest of the missing information, just have to pray hard that people forget about it. 

my tiongkok born singaporean friend kids all got scholarship one

dun play play pink ic one leh

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

my tiongkok born singaporean friend kids all got scholarship one

dun play play pink ic one leh

I always wonder how many local blood go overseas study and never come back as a result. 

tenor.png

• Praise 3

One reason I heard.  Might not be true.  The govt award a lot of scholarships to regional students because of the potential benefit to singapore.

Some sink roots.  Some contribute.  But there is another factor.

These students are supposedly the elite in their country.  They might return to their home countries.  And they might excel.  And become a national leader.  So we want them to have a friendly attitude towards Singapore.  And that is one of the reasons why we sponsor then.  Cos out of the thousands one might be president.  And we want that person to be friendly to us.

Good bet or bad bet we will only know in the future.

• Praise 2

28 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

One reason I heard.  Might not be true.  The govt award a lot of scholarships to regional students because of the potential benefit to singapore.

These students are supposedly the elite in their country.  They might return to their home countries.  And they might excel.  And become a national leader.  So we want them to have a friendly attitude towards Singapore.  And that is one of the reasons why we sponsor then.  Cos out of the thousands one might be president.  And we want that person to be friendly to us.

Thay might be applicable and  true in lky time. 

But now.. 🙄🤔

9 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

engineer sir

you need to know that there are many kinds of scholarship

we don't know how they calculate

they should also include Bursary Scholarship

the scholarship given by MOE or does it also include scholarship given by MNC such as Temasek and etc or even schools have their own scholarship

etc

so I suspect the numbers are grossly under reported

basically, they should include all Indian students who have obtain any form of financial benefits

the numbers will scare the hell you out of your slide-ruler

• Praise 2

If singapore gibe free education to true blues maybe birth rate will spike upwards...invest in these brains and mebbe we can rely on less foreign headcount..

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Philipkee said:

The real elites don't come to Singapore la. All go US or Europe.

If it is as you claim, we will only know in the future, then no need for responsibility anymore? 

Edited by Kusje
  • Praise 3

4 hours ago, Kusje said:

The real elites don't come to Singapore la. All go US or Europe.

If it is as you claim, we will only know in the future, then no need for responsibility anymore? 

Actually you dont know for sure all elites go to USA or europe.  If you are talking about the politically connected students, yes I agree.  But academically inclined students of average background?  Who knows?  It's like hedging the bets that some will become of certain stature in the future in their country.

Responsibility?  Of cos.  Ultimately the minister for education is responsible for this.  

Unfortunately, not sure which minister said this, with high pay, no minister would ever resign of his own volition unless sacked or forced to.  Even if he wanted to, his wife would stop him.

So that is why sometimes it seems that accountability is absent. 

Edited by Philipkee

15 hours ago, Philipkee said:

I totally agree with you. That’s the same reason I gave to my wife when buying Toto when it hit 8mil or more

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
15 hours ago, Philipkee said:

The reverse can also happen... Study here, not happy for whatever reason, remember for life.. 

• Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Kyrios said:

If singapore gibe free education to true blues maybe birth rate will spike upwards...invest in these brains and mebbe we can rely on less foreign headcount..

? The article is about pre-u scholarship.... I think singaporean get almost free education...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1