Donating to Charity bypassing giving.sg

t0y0ta

I donate some money to charity online annually.

I notice that in recent years, donations are centralised under a non-govt portal called "giving.sg"

This year, I realized they even require to create account and login before can donate.

Somehow I have a pretty uneasy feeling about these folks.

Wonder if any one knows any good and deserving charities that I can donate to without going these this "giving.sg"?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

13 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

I donate some money to charity online annually.

I notice that in recent years, donations are centralised under a non-govt portal called "giving.sg"

This year, I realized they even require to create account and login before can donate.

Somehow I have a pretty uneasy feeling about these folks.

Wonder if any one knows any good and deserving charities that I can donate to without going these this "giving.sg"?

as you know all these organization do have to take a cut from your donation apart from charging the recipient administrative fees.

• Praise 7

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Ever since the Nxx and Rx saga... I put the money into the hands of the needy directly or CCS only for online via credit card. 

I give directly to the Little Sisters of the Poor at Thomson. 

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 2

After paying 30-50% to the fellow collecting the money (that's the one standing at the mrt harassing people), still got admin fees for the organization. How much is left for the actual needy?

Best is to give directly to a charity for a cause you feel for, after doing your due diligence on the financial reports. Read the financial reports carefully. See where most of the money goes. For me if the office rental is too high % as is at a high class office building and/or the charity is paying the top guys too much, then that charity is passed over for another.

Even better is if you know families that need help. Give directly to them by way of paying the kids school fees, their power bills, groceries, top up MRT card. Limit giving in cash to small amounts so as not to tempt them to spend on stuff they do not need like alcohol and cigarettes.

• Praise 4

I give direct. I old school, I just drive and park nearby, walk to the admin office and pass them the cash.. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

Nobody does anything for free lah. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Thanks folks, eventually I realized there is a PayNow option to directly wire the money into the charity bank account. No need admin fee for 3rd party.

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, Tianmo said:

I give direct. I old school, I just drive and park nearby, walk to the admin office and pass them the cash.. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

Nobody does anything for free lah. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

very strange 

I don't remember receiving your money

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

very strange 

I said I gave direct liao mah, you always like to take indirect how to remember receiving money from me? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Ash2017 said:

very strange 

You needy meh? Why must get donation from the mo (@Tianmo)?

BTW, anyone know of any charity organization(s) that provide support for child education need? Am working something for my parent estate. Thanks in advance.

• Praise 7

8 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

BTW, anyone know of any charity organization(s) that provide support for child education need? Am working something for my parent estate. Thanks in advance.

have , contact [email protected] those children who post idiotic comments during school holiday pretending to be adults..

• Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Children's Society, Orphanages run by religious bodies like Salvation Army, Ramakrishna, Chen Su Lan Methodist. Read their annual reports to be convinced that they are worth supporting financially. That the donations are not going towards high rents, high CEO pay and fund-raisers. 

• Praise 2

On 12/9/2019 at 8:24 AM, Watwheels said:

Have to go thru a middleman what. What to expect? Free? No way.

Go direct lo.

It is sad to see young singaporeans standing in public places doing such works while we rely on FT to fill productive works. Either their skill is mismatched like what our experts said or not given a chance to do or don't wish to do. Maybe it is these 'opportunities' that 'lure' them away from what they should be doing. I am still stretching my head what skills many of these FT have.