Scented candles allowed in office?

VteckiCk

How many of you uses scented candles or have colleagues using them in office?

Or do you use them at home? Brands like Yankee Candle, Bath & BodyWorks 3 wick candles.

Are scented candles a fire hazard since it's an open flame? Recently a colleague been using it. It's nice but want to know if it's allowed since management hasn't straight out said it's not allowed.

How else to reduce chance of it catching a fire? Esp. those of you who own one at home. Safe?

How else 710319.jpg.f175a97b4a642c3b9ad08ac7fca66fe1.jpgBath-Body-Works-4oz-113g-Candle-Single-Wick.jpg.58722ab37f801a0a00ec336c99fba886.jpg

↡ Advertisement

I don't allow the use of scented candles in my workplace for safety reasons. There are many other options such as those mist type, or even stick type which is of course least effective, but much safer.

Actually candles are never safe. Yes, you can places them at open area with no combustible material in the vicinity, but nothing can stop combustible material from flying towards them, and when the 2 meet, fire get started.

And if you light it in small bed room, burning it whole night with poor ventilation might resulted in reduced oxygen level, which is bad for health.

Last, from health perspective, I am still skeptical that those chemical used for producing the scent is 100% safe... ... 

• Praise 7
  • Haha! 1

As most offices have smoke detectors, I wonder what's the tolerance / limits of the sensors when it comes to burning candles; or when the candles get put out.

50 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Nonsense dangerous. 

I put  so many in my MIL's room. 

:D

She will live to 100 ++ with the ones you are using in your parlours ; happy patrons happy MIL 😁   

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Ronkovic said:

As most offices have smoke detectors, I wonder what's the tolerance / limits of the sensors when it comes to burning candles; or when the candles get put out.

LoL...this type of scented candles got no smoke lah.

When you want to put out the small flame, just use the glass cover that came with the candle and just cap it. No burnt smell. LoL...have you use before or not?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, VteckiCk said:

Or do you use them at home? Brands like Yankee Candle, Bath & BodyWorks 3 wick candles.

Are scented candles a fire hazard since it's an open flame? Recently a colleague been using it. It's nice but want to know if it's allowed since management hasn't straight out said it's not allowed.

How else to reduce chance of it catching a fire? Esp. those of you who own one at home. Safe?

How else 710319.jpg.f175a97b4a642c3b9ad08ac7fca66fe1.jpgBath-Body-Works-4oz-113g-Candle-Single-Wick.jpg.58722ab37f801a0a00ec336c99fba886.jpg

it is generally safe.  if not, there will be worldwide ban on Yankee by now.

if u ask a safety auditor, he will say not safe.  Even a christmas tree with light up is not safe in their eyes.  In my ex office, we are not allowed to have christmas tree with lights.   No lights, ok. Got lights, not ok.  Stupid........? 

I think candles are perfectly fine.  A lot of retail shops such as spas, massage shops use scented candles to welcome customers.  You see such shops been burned down?   

it is ok as long as someone is watching it.  Like for example, the Yankee candle can be used in the front reception of the office.  Visitors feel welcoming to your office with the nice scent and there is probably someone sitting there whole day. 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, VteckiCk said:

Yes, unless it triggers your colleague's asthma. Apparently, diffusers triggers asthma attacks. Wonder if candles do too? 

19 hours ago, Watwheels said:

LoL...this type of scented candles got no smoke lah.

When you want to put out the small flame, just use the glass cover that came with the candle and just cap it. No burnt smell. LoL...have you use before or not?

Hahaha thanks! Ya I figured that the minimal smoke wouldn't trigger tolerance of the detectors, unless of course other combustibles like paper come into contact with the flame and start a fire. 

I've used these scented candles and tea light candles for essential oils, but usually just in the bathroom and in the home; where there's no smoke detectors.

1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

My office staff lights "Lavender" scent .... [rolleyes]

and at times "Lemon Grass" scent.  

I love the lemon grass scent, very refreshing...[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

40 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I love the lemon grass scent, very refreshing...[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

Create candles with mothball scent. Or baygon scent. Got people want to buy? Ha

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1