Pay for fines according to your income?

therock

I say yes. Fine is a punishment that's supposed to hurt and deter.

you fine a billionaire $1000 is not even loose change to him while it could be 1 mth salary for others.

But need to make sure business men cannot get away as their income is all declared within the company

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/the-dollars-and-sense-of-pegging-fines-to-an-offenders-income

Peg the fine according to the income?

My answer ? No!

What about you ?

so if I go no income or no asset, I commit crime forever no need to pay fine (provided there are no jail alternative as punishment)

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Ash2017 said:

so if I go no income or no asset, I commit crime forever no need to pay fine (provided there are no jail alternative as punishment)

No lah, the minimum fine should still apply for peasants.. just that the fine amount should be multiplied X times for high income earners.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Now got a lot of high income earners commit crimes?

Who? Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark?😂

"With great power comes great responsibility", Peter Parker ... 😁

I say YES, but only if our Govt and Civil servants are paid absolutely no bonus and nothing more than an income of $5000 pm representing the median.  

Yes Yes Yes

Otherwise dont be a Lanchiao 

Such shit dont work. 
just convert fines to caning. Simple

Edited by Throttle2

2 hours ago, therock said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/the-dollars-and-sense-of-pegging-fines-to-an-offenders-income

My answer ? No!

What about you ?

Don't think it will work because the rich guys are often rich because of their portfolio value in stocks, property, investments.  Their  taxable annual income  may not be that much actually

• Praise 1

Should we punish people for being rich? I guess no. Punishment is meant to deter people from repeating the same offence. So, it must be effective. If money is not the answer, I am sure there are other deterrence. 

• Praise 2

waaaa super white  trying to increase revenue is it 😄 

why must be fine ......... why not punish by something else . Just a gimmick to get people to support the idea .  

• Praise 4

6 hours ago, therock said:

My answer ? No!

What about you ?

My answer is no.

Haven't those high income people already paid much higher tax rate and higher net dollars? Why need to have another rule for fine?  So lower income people can afford to get fine more regularly because of lower fine punishments? Let me wait till i retire , I will drive on the bus lanes during peak hour, after all by then I would be given lower  fine .

Edited by Ct3833
  • Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

I say YES, but only if our Govt and Civil servants are paid absolutely no bonus and nothing more than an income of $5000 pm representing the median.  

Yes Yes Yes

Otherwise dont be a Lanchiao 

Such shit dont work. 
just convert fines to caning. Simple

I think we should cane those in the administrative service who make major mistakes. 

Some of them are OK with hara-kiri, right? Caning is still less drastic. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

I think we should cane those in the administrative service who make major mistakes. 

Confirmed 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

you dont anyhow suggest, they may come out with another rule for those multi millionaire which i dont know who😄 to be caned  even for  the most minor  traffic offence because money to them is  no issue. 

Anyway, in my opinion, this is just another hare-brained idea mooted by the green-eyed masses, thinking they can get back at the "elites".

Poor, deluded fools. They don't know what real elite is.

Real elites will never really suffer the consequences of their law-breaking. As long as there is it's a relatively minor infraction with no real human victim and no social media vigilantism to stir the pot and force "someone's" hand, a lot of these things will be quietly swept under the rug.

This will only target those moderately successful - i.e. with a bit of money but no real power. Because, when it really comes down to it, power is the only currency that matters in a crony state like ours.

Edited by Turboflat4

2 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

you dont anyhow suggest, they may come out with another rule for those multi millionaire which i dont know who😄 to be caned  even for  the most minor  traffic offence because money to them is  no issue. 

I'm sorry, but (all joking aside) you also seem to be labouring under a misapprehension of how our system really functions. Please see my post.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1