How to enforce the law for PMDS?

VteckiCk

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/enforcement-officer-kicks-pmd-rider-off-device-along-bedok-reservoir-road-to-stop-him/

New thread as I feel this is good discussion

Enforcement kicks pmd rider off e scooter in order to stop him

About 3 other officers chasing 

Right or wrong? 

I am of the opinion that the act of kicking the rider off at high speed is uncalled for

What if rider head hits the kerb? 

Who is going to be responsible for the injuries? 

But at the same time, I secretly want to say "orbigood"

I mean, how else to stop a speeding pmd rider trying to escape? 

Let's discuss

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

If PMD rider wasn't riding so fast, he wouldn't fly so far. 

If PMD rider falls without a CISCO trying to stop him, he would also come a cropper.

The CISCO know very well that an object travelling at that kind of speed will likely cause himself serious injuries. Got people get seriously injured and even killed. 

I say its fair game to knock him off his scooter. Let it serve as warning to all the rest. 

At least they didn't draw their service revolver. 

• Praise 8

16 minutes ago, VteckiCk said:

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/enforcement-officer-kicks-pmd-rider-off-device-along-bedok-reservoir-road-to-stop-him/

New thread as I feel this is good discussion

Enforcement kicks pmd rider off e scooter in order to stop him

About 3 other officers chasing 

Right or wrong? 

I am of the opinion that the act of kicking the rider off at high speed is uncalled for

Let's discuss

Legally right or wrong, I don't know. But that PMD rider was breaking the law already, must catch and stop. So I support the cisco officer. This type of PMD riders are a danger to themselves and others on the road.

• Praise 10

30 minutes ago, Hydrocarbon said:

Legally right or wrong, I don't know. But that PMD rider was breaking the law already, must catch and stop. So I support the cisco officer. This type of PMD riders are a danger to themselves and others on the road.

Same see liao very shiok

But don't think is legal

Now that this is going viral high chance the officer will get into trouble

His superiors likely secretly saying wel done well done but need to PR

Don't see other ways they can stop these riders since they don't have license plate, they are fast, can travel on road, pavement, can hide

How else can enforcement officers set up ambush? 

Plain clothes? How to stop a speeding pmd who is set on speeding away from you? 

Edited by VteckiCk
  • Praise 3

44 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

If PMD rider wasn't riding so fast, he wouldn't fly so far. 

If PMD rider falls without a CISCO trying to stop him, he would also come a cropper.

The CISCO know very well that an object travelling at that kind of speed will likely cause himself serious injuries. Got people get seriously injured and even killed. 

I say its fair game to knock him off his scooter. Let it serve as warning to all the rest. 

At least they didn't draw their service revolver. 

The best is also to up the fines

If its hard to catch them one by one, can only go by deterrence 

Raise the fines

Catch a couple of them and slap them with heavy fines

The current fines are too easy no one is scared because its also not easy to enforce

I say slap a few of them with heavy fines

Let the pmd riders spread the word and do the job for the enforcement officers 

• Praise 2

46 minutes ago, VteckiCk said:

Let's discuss

agreed on both counts. Kinda shocked that this happened.

I'd be surprised if this flying kick was the SOP to stop a PMD.

the level of "force" used must be proportional to the severity of the crime. If this is deemed appropriate, then we should expect to be shot for speeding in a motorcar.

but then, the problem is how to identify the pmd rider if he was not stopped at the scene.

no easy way out, in my opinion.

• Praise 3

5 minutes ago, VteckiCk said:

Same see liao very shiok

But don't think is legal

Now that this is going viral high chance the officer will get into trouble

yes. in some other countries, the enforcement guy (cisco?) will kena sue till pants drop.

if I am his boss and this was not the SOP for stopping a pmd, I wouldn't be commending him for taking extraordinary efforts to perform his duties. More likely charge him for misconduct.

40 minutes ago, Hydrocarbon said:

are the law enforcers allowed to break the law to enforce the law?

why not just shoot them all?

I see this as the same as errant driver or criminals, evading arrest.

The actions taken by enforcers to stop a criminal running or driving away can be very drastic. 

• Praise 6

2 minutes ago, Ender said:

I see this as the same as errant driver or criminals, evading arrest.

The actions taken by enforcers to stop a criminal running or driving away can be very drastic. 

this how? https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/video-shows-driver-abandoning-bmw-and-running-away-on-foot-from-lta-officer btw I think the guy was caught a few days later.

if this pmd was a drug runner or presented some other immediate hazardous situation, yes, need to take him down immediately but I struggle to make that call on an errant PMD user.

the problem with pmd is it's hard to identify the bugger if he zooms off. But I guess that's where the network of CCTVs come into play? Just need manpower to trace his movements subsequent to the incident. Catch a few of these buggers, make an example of them and whack them with the maximum penalty. Kicking them off while in motion has high risk of injury or worse. Also, the enforcer has a risk of self-injury.... is it worth it?

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

this how? https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/video-shows-driver-abandoning-bmw-and-running-away-on-foot-from-lta-officer btw I think the guy was caught a few days later.

if this pmd was a drug runner or presented some other immediate hazardous situation, yes, need to take him down immediately but I struggle to make that call on an errant PMD user.

the problem with pmd is it's hard to identify the bugger if he zooms off. But I guess that's where the network of CCTVs come into play? Just need manpower to trace his movements subsequent to the incident. Catch a few of these buggers, make an example of them and whack them with the maximum penalty. Kicking them off while in motion has high risk of injury or worse. Also, the enforcer has a risk of self-injury.... is it worth it?

The way I see, regardless of what offence the intention to charge, as long as run away from enforcer, they have the right to assume the worst of criminal. Why run away for a offence that can be compound with a fine? Could there be something more sinister that prompt him to run away?

Like a simple spot check on ID on MRT, but if you run away I think it's fair for the officer to assume the worst of a possible terrorist threat. Even though no crime was committed prior.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 5