How to enforce the law for PMDS?

VteckiCk

peasants should be given the same authority. 

On a serious note, what if that kick inflicted serious hurt? Its kind of risky and dangerous and i hope the officer will not be in big trouble.

Edited by Hamburger
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

7 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

agreed on both counts. Kinda shocked that this happened.

I'd be surprised if this flying kick was the SOP to stop a PMD.

the level of "force" used must be proportional to the severity of the crime. If this is deemed appropriate, then we should expect to be shot for speeding in a motorcar.

but then, the problem is how to identify the pmd rider if he was not stopped at the scene.

no easy way out, in my opinion.

severity of crime. What is the crime here? Is it riding pmd?

no it is evading resisting arrest. Everyone must be clear about the crime here. If the pmd guy , slows down and allow the officers to do their job, no kicking will happen.

a similar parallel is traffic offense. If police car catch u for speeding and u try to race off, can u complain if police uses more drastic measures?

• Praise 11

6 hours ago, Ender said:

The way I see, regardless of what offence the intention to charge, as long as run away from enforcer, they have the right to assume the worst of criminal. Why run away for a offence that can be compound with a fine? Could there be something more sinister that prompt him to run away?

Like a simple spot check on ID on MRT, but if you run away I think it's fair for the officer to assume the worst of a possible terrorist threat. Even though no crime was committed prior.

agreed. Running away is the crime. If u run, u cannot complain about excessive force used as u literally asked for it. Even without pmd, a running suspect needs significant force to stop.

what kind of police we have if they cannot use force to stop running suspects? 
good job I say

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 7

7 hours ago, JohnSHL said:

are the law enforcers allowed to break the law to enforce the law?

why not just shoot them all?

I don’t think he broke the law. I think they are allowed to use force to stop running suspect. I think they question is whether it is excessive.

do u see any other obvious way to stop the suspect with less force? To me, I think the amount of force used is reasonable. Like u said, he did not shoot the pmd guy, that would be excessive.

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
8 hours ago, VteckiCk said:

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/enforcement-officer-kicks-pmd-rider-off-device-along-bedok-reservoir-road-to-stop-him/

New thread as I feel this is good discussion

Enforcement kicks pmd rider off e scooter in order to stop him

About 3 other officers chasing 

Right or wrong? 

I am of the opinion that the act of kicking the rider off at high speed is uncalled for

What if rider head hits the kerb? 

Who is going to be responsible for the injuries? 

But at the same time, I secretly want to say "orbigood"

I mean, how else to stop a speeding pmd rider trying to escape? 

Let's discuss

I think the enforcement officer just went see ip man 4 movie. 🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

I dont think we are in the position to say right or wrong. It's up to the law makers. We can only give our opinions. What we say matters little, really. Our votes in numbers say otherwise. That's why this is happening. LoL...

I have the same 2 thoughts about kicking the errant rider off the path, but after reviewing the video footage for >5 times, I say the kicking is justifiable. Reason? 

That PMD was riding not only on the road (1st offence), it was also not on the left most lane and speeding at easily >20Km/h (2nd offence), and the rider knew he/she is breaking the law, thus trying to run away / evade arrest (3rd offence).

Now, for those in the other camp thinking that the rider might be injured, I say he/she asked for it (for speeding and trying to run away). Imagine if he/she manage to siam the kick, but hit a passerby at the crossing and injure the person in the process, who is more "ai wan" (innocent party)?

A bit fair stretch but just like getting smoker to smoke in open space, if strike by lightning, can sue NEA? 🤣🤣 

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 2

9 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

If PMD rider wasn't riding so fast, he wouldn't fly so far. 

If PMD rider falls without a CISCO trying to stop him, he would also come a cropper.

The CISCO know very well that an object travelling at that kind of speed will likely cause himself serious injuries. Got people get seriously injured and even killed. 

I say its fair game to knock him off his scooter. Let it serve as warning to all the rest. 

At least they didn't draw their service revolver. 

The problem is PMD ride so fast, that's the only way to catch them. If not how? Run and chase the pmd? 

In anyway this officer is darn skillful.. Look at his kick and timing.. Not many people can do that. He must had practiced it countless of times just to catch these speeding pmd rider.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Haha! 5

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, VteckiCk said:

But at the same time, I secretly want to say "orbigood"

I mean, how else to stop a speeding pmd rider trying to escape? 

Haha your nick already got KICK , of course you say orbigood la .

Yes I think the kick may seem overboard , but I dont mind at all la . See already also shiok . How else you wanna stop  these chowahbengs . 

• Haha! 7

59 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I don’t think he broke the law. I think they are allowed to use force to stop running suspect. I think they question is whether it is excessive.

do u see any other obvious way to stop the suspect with less force? To me, I think the amount of force used is reasonable. Like u said, he did not shoot the pmd guy, that would be excessive.

Agree there's no other way to stop a speeding pmd rider

Only case is, what happens if the resulting fall causes grave injury to the rider?

The law enforcer will get himself into trouble

How can law enforcers carry out their duties while ensuring they don't get into trouble themselves?

It's their rice bowl too

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

The problem is PMD ride so fast, that's the only way to catch them. If not how? Run and chase the pmd? 

In anyway this officer is darn skillful.. Look at his kick and timing.. Not many people can do that. He must had practiced it countless of times just to catch these speeding pmd rider.. 

Absolutely skillfull. 

Moreover, he was running across the road but managed to time his kick correctly

High level

4 minutes ago, F355 said:

Haha your nick already got KICK , of course you say orbigood la .

Yes I think the kick may seem overboard , but I dont mind at all la . See already also shiok . How else you wanna stop  these chowahbengs . 

Since they caught this guy

Should fine gao gao

Fine the maximum of $2,000

Speeding, Trying to runaway from law enforcer, these are the other 2 offences

and I'm sure the pmd has illegal component

fine them hard and send out a message

• Praise 3

3 minutes ago, VteckiCk said:

Only case is, what happens if the resulting fall causes grave injury to the rider?

How can law enforcers carry out their duties while ensuring they don't get into trouble themselves?

It's their rice bowl too

Lucky he got kick off by the officer.

If he speed across the road and got hit by a car?Thats will be more worst.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Hamburger said:

peasants should be given the same authority. 

On a serious note, what if that kick inflicted serious hurt? Its kind of risky and dangerous and i hope the officer will not be in big trouble.

Nothing of value wld be lost

• Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, VteckiCk said:

It's their rice bowl too

??? The same argument can be applied to a running suspect. If police tackle him and the resulting fall causes grave injury to the suspect???

I think there are well established laws governing this kind of scenario as I don't think it is new. I doubt it will penalize the enforcement officer if there isn't excessive force used. 

For me, if the PMD knows the enforcement officer is after him and refuse to stop, it is fair game.

Of course if the enforcement officer is hiding and then kick an unsuspecting PMD rider without asking him to stop, it is too much. 

It is so simple logic. If policeman, traffic police, enforcement officer, etc ask you to stop, you stop. If you run... you are asking for it. 

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6