UCL 2019/20 n 2020/21

Picnic06-Biante15

Wah this is news. Man City is going to be banned from UCL in next 2 seasons. They will appeal, but if they lose, then likely they'll find it hard to attract the top talents to join them, just as Pep might want to start some minor rebuild, plus beef up his defence...

https://www.espn.com.sg/soccer/manchester-city/story/4052767/manchester-city-faces-two-year-champions-league-ban-for-ffp-violations

Manchester City gets two-year Champions League ban for FFP violations

Rob DawsonCorrespondent

Manchester City have been banned from European competition -- including the Champions League -- for the next two seasons after being found guilty of breaching financial fair play rules, UEFA has announced.

The reigning Premier League champions will be excluded from the Champions League for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 campaigns. They have also been fined €30 million.

The ruling is subject to appeal.

The club released a statement immediately after the announcement, saying: "Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today's announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber. The Club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

"In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver. The Club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the Club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

8 hours ago, BenTong said:

Haiya .. they kena banned by Uefa.. MU Better.. DIY banned by their own players.. 

And Pep said he's worried that some existing players might want to leave cos can't play in UCL...

If that's the case, wah... City might be significantly weakened leh...

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

I think Man C will either get the verdict overturn or have the restriction removed after 1 year. Look at what happens to Chelsea about not allowing them to sign players. 

What ManC needs to do is undertable $$$$$$ to the UEFA board of directors and they will be back again when season starts... [lipsrsealed]

• Haha! 3

7 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

I think Man C will either get the verdict overturn or have the restriction removed after 1 year. Look at what happens to Chelsea about not allowing them to sign players. 

Chelsea got their ban reduced by 1 window whereas the elite clubs like Real Madrid who was also guilty of a similar offence, had their transfer ban similarly reduced by 1 window but the major difference was that their transfer ban was delayed so they could bring in players whilst waiting for their appeal to be heard whereas Chelsea had their ban imposed immediately.

I’ve posted in the EPL thread on my opinion of this and I reproduce the article by Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail which i totally agree:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8005751/Financial-Fair-Play-UEFA-protection-racket-payback-clubs-hate-Manchester-City.html

Good to read a different perspective of this event. Don’t always believe that City are the bad guys.

Would u prefer a Sheikh that pumps in money to the game or an American family that sucks money out of their club thru director fees, borrowings against club assets etc. They happen to be on opposite sides in the city of Manchester!

• Praise 5

7 minutes ago, Spring said:

Chelsea got their ban reduced by 1 window whereas the elite clubs like Real Madrid who was also guilty of a similar offence, had their transfer ban similarly reduced by 1 window but the major difference was that their transfer ban was delayed so they could bring in players whilst waiting for their appeal to be heard whereas Chelsea had their ban imposed immediately.

I’ve posted on the EPL thread on my opinion of this and I reproduce the article by Martin Samuel of the Daily Mail which i totally agree:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8005751/Financial-Fair-Play-UEFA-protection-racket-payback-clubs-hate-Manchester-City.html

Good to read a different perspective of this event. Don’t always believe that City are the bad guys. Would u prefer a Sheikh that pumps in money to the game or an American family that sucks money out of their club thru director fees, borrowings against club assets etc. They happen to be on opposite sides in the city of Manchester!

If the FAs are serious about FFP,  they have to be fair with their punishment like what the Rugby Union recently did to Saracens FC (current Premier League champion and european Champion Cup champion in 2016, 2017 and 2019)....relegate them to 2nd tier league. If they are not going to punish clubs accordingly, they might as well not have that rule. 

• Praise 1

Chelsea outclassed by Bayern 0-3 this morning. If City also loses tonite at Real, it would mean a 100% loss record for EPL teams. After last season's high of having 4 finalists in both UCL and UEL, this is a real downer and perhaps reflects the dropping of standards of EPL teams overall except Pool.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Spring said:

Chelsea outclassed by Bayern 0-3 this morning. If City also loses tonite at Real, it would mean a 100% loss record for EPL teams. After last season's high of having 4 finalists in both UCL and UEL, this is a real downer and perhaps reflects the dropping of standards of EPL teams overall except Pool.

Chelsea very naive  .

First  half is 0-0 quite balance.

After conceding  1 goal 2nd half. They still  push  so high . In the end kenna 2 sucker punch. 

Lose at home 0-1 is still  very much ok.

3-0 is 90% gg

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Chelsea very naive  .

After conceding  1 goal 2nd half. They still  push  so high . In the end kenna 2 sucker punch. 

3-0 is 90% gg

Actually Bayern had chances in the first half as well, just that they didn't take them.

Serge Gnabry looks very different from his Arsenal days as he and Lewandowski toyed with Chelsea and went behind them few times. The Blues defence is their weak link although Lampard insists that the front line doesn't take their chances. The defenders are actually not bad individually but not working as a unit. Thought Rudiger coming back would improve them but doesn't seem so.

• Praise 7

3 hours ago, Spring said:

I think unfortunately Chelsea and Spurs will face a tough situation of overturning home defeats in the 2nd leg. City by right is more than a match for RM, but the injury-plagued side which is hampered by the punishment, might be distracted. Hopefully, the strong desire to see UCL success will give the team some impetus to beat RM. Pool also hopefully can come up with a good plan plus perfect execution in the home leg to overcome the deficit.

Indeed EPL is not doing as well this season. Much as Pool has been excellent at home, it's to a large extent the failure of the other traditionally good teams (aka teams in the UCL now) to play at the high standard of last season, which has allowed Pool to be runaway leader at home. Of course i'm not complaining about the EPL situation, but yes, i also hope to see the English teams faring better in Europe...

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Beregond said:

Chelsea very naive  .

3-0 is 90% gg

Ahem...remember Pools-Barca...?

But then the Blues are not THE Reds...

99%gg

• Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Ahem...remember Pools-Barca...?

But then the Blues are not THE Reds...

99%gg

pools vs milan even more gay.

forever remember that game,  i cursing until mad...

6 hours ago, Beregond said:

Chelsea very naive  .

3-0 is 90% gg

Chelsea shall look to last season's Liverpool-Barca for come-back inspiration. Likely a tall order since it's an away game.

• Praise 2

Man City flew the flag for EPL by winning 2-1 at Real Madrid. A really fantastic result for them and I guess the penalty of being booted out of UCL for the next 2 seasons spurred them on to victory. Pep has instilled a siege mentality at the Etihad esp for UEFA competitions as it might be their last chance of victory in this competition if their ban is upheld.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5