UCL 2019/20 n 2020/21

Picnic06-Biante15

spurs gg, pools gg, chelsea almost gone.

after a high for EPL clubs last season, it could be a low this round

↡ Advertisement

UCL n UEL suspended......

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/uefa-champions-league/story/4073203/champions-league-and-europa-league-suspended-as-coronavirus-continues-to-disrupt-football

UEFA has taken the unprecedented step of suspending the Champions League and Europa League following the coronavirus outbreak.

Barcelona against Napoli and Bayern Munich's clash with Chelsea were due to take place next week, but UEFA has now postponed competition. Manchester City vs. Real Madrid and Juventus' match with Lyon were already postponed before Friday's announcement.

Manchester United's second leg Europa League tie with LASK, due to be played on Thursday, has also been postponed, along with all other fixtures in the competition.

UEFA said in a statement: "In the light of developments due to the spread of COVID-19 in Europe and related decisions made by different governments, all UEFA club competitions matches scheduled next week are postponed.

"This includes the remaining UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg matches scheduled on March 17 and 18, 2020; all UEFA Europa League round of 16 second leg matches scheduled on 19 March 2020; all UEFA Youth League, quarterfinal matches scheduled on March 17 and 18, 2020.

"Further decisions on when these matches take place will be communicated in due course."

UEFA will discuss the postponement of Euro 2020during an emergency video conference involving all 55 European football associations on Tuesday.

Football matches across Europe have been severely affected, with La Liga suspending competition for two matchdays, Serie A suspended until April 3 and various postponements and matches played behind closed doors across European competitions before the postponement was put in place.

In the Champions League, Borussia Dortmund's match at Paris Saint-Germain took place behind closed doors on Wednesday, although many PSG fans congregated outside the Parc des Princes for the round-of-16 tie that the Ligue 1 side won 3-2 on aggregate.

In the Europa League, Sevilla vs. Roma and Inter Milan vs. Getafe were initially postponed amid the outbreak, while Manchester United's first leg tie against LASK took place behind closed doors on Thursday before the move came to suspend competition completely.

The decision comes across widespread disruption across European football. Real Madrid were placed into quarantine, which led to the suspension of La Liga, while Juventus' Daniele Rugani became the most high-profile footballer to be diagnosed with the virus.

Manchester City vs. Arsenal in the Premier League was called off, with a decision expected to be made soon regarding what happens in England's top division for the remainder of the season.

Elsewhere, CONMEBOL is asking FIFA to suspend the beginning of World Cup qualifiers scheduled for the end of March. They published on Wednesday a letter with the request to the sport's governing body in the name of members Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela. FIFA is yet to reply.

• Praise 5

I'm surprised to see Atalanta doing so well. They are now top 4 in Serie A, well above the usual powerhouse like AC Milan. In terms of the winner, I have a feeling City will win this year. If not, Bayern Munich.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
On 12/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, Beregond said:

ya they mention that. it unhealthy i think. its a clear sign all the big clubs are hogging all the money.

long ago european cup, 1 country 1 team only. because of money issue, they make it 2 teams, then expand to 3-4 teams to accommodate all the rich clubs....

now no 1 give a damn to europa anymore.

the champions of the leagues outside the Big 5 (English, Spanish, German, Italian, French) are too weak, always end up being the whipping boys

but you are right, it's not "Champions" League anymore... should change name to Top Clubs League or something 🤣

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I'm surprised to see Atalanta doing so well. They are now top 4 in Serie A, well above the usual powerhouse like AC Milan. In terms of the winner, I have a feeling City will win this year. If not, Bayern Munich.

alalanta is like lei in epl. they boom once in a while. without investment they wont stay top for long. inter and ac milan ( esp ac have been in a decline for many years) this year they improved) both of them change owner pass few years

i hope for a city win also. my fav is juv, but lousy sarri send them packing🙄

anw , watch the game of chelsea lost to bayern. 

bayern way abrove chelsea level. alot of work to be done.

if anything i am sure lampa is more of less convince who can be their starter. ( hudson and tammy is out for me)

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 3

Man United v Sevilla, Inter Milan v Shaktar Donetsk in S/F of UEL to be played on Sunday n Monday.

United beat Copenhagen 1-0 AET, Inter beat Leverkusen 2-1, Shaktar beat Basle 4-1 whilst Sevilla beat Wolves 1-0 in the q/finals played last night and the previous night. Wolves started their UEL journey in July 2019 so it has been a long 13 mth journey for them and they were unlucky to lose to a 88th min goal after missing a penalty in the first half.

Sevilla has a fine tradition in this competition having won it 5 times before, in fact they won the competition 3 times in a row from 2014-2016 so whilst United start as favourites, the Spaniards are no pushovers.

• Praise 6

1 minute ago, Spring said:

Man United v Sevilla, Inter Milan v Shaktar Donetsk in S/F of UEL to be played on Sunday n Monday.

United beat Copenhagen 1-0 AET, Inter beat Leverkusen 2-1, Shaktar beat Basle 4-1 whilst Sevilla beat Wolves 1-0 in the q/finals played last night and the previous night. Wolves started their UEL journey in July 2019 so it has been a long 13 mth journey for them and they were unlucky to lose to a 88th min goal after missing a penalty in the first half.

Sevilla has a fine tradition in this competition having won it 5 times before, in fact they won the competition 3 times in a row from 2014-2016 so whilst United start as favourites, the Spaniards are no pushovers.

I quite like this special format where all the quarter-finalists meet somewhere neutral to play the final legs of the tournament.

You are right about Sevilla but I will put Sevilla as the favourite for this Cup instead.

For the CL, I think City and Munich are too strong for the rest, including Barcelona, who is too reliant on their aged stars.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

I quite like this special format where all the quarter-finalists meet somewhere neutral to play the final legs of the tournament.

You are right about Sevilla but I will put Sevilla as the favourite for this Cup instead.

For the CL, I think City and Munich are too strong for the rest, including Barcelona, who is too reliant on their aged stars.

In both UEL and UCL, the 2 strongest teams left meet in S/F.

For UEL, Man United v Sevilla will be tough to call. Inter Milan shld prevail over Shaktar although it will not be a walkover.

For UCL, I agree City and Bayern will be favourites and they will meet in the S/F if both win their Q/F. Yes this mini format is quite exciting n like a club World Cup!

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

This 1 leg format is only temporary  only right.

Cos of cov19.

Next year.should be back to 2 legged format?.once the vaccines  out

• Praise 2

Last season, Bayern was outclassed by Pool in UCL, and they were gracious in losing, even acknowledging Pool by saying at least they lost to the eventual champs.

How did they keep on being a top performer year after year, even when the likes of hummels, Ribery and Robben all gone....

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

This 1 leg format is only temporary  only right.

Cos of cov19.

Next year.should be back to 2 legged format?.once the vaccines  out

Yes it is only for this season, though with this virus, it is hard to say whether life will be the same in 2021.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

Last season, Bayern was outclassed by Pool in UCL, and they were gracious in losing, even acknowledging Pool by saying at least they lost to the eventual champs.

How did they keep on being a top performer year after year, even when the likes of hummels, Ribery and Robben all gone....

They raid stars from other German teams, and stars are willing to join them because they can offer more, plus they are run effectively by former legends who know the game well.  The Munich fans are also fanatics if you have been there and met them. They eat, sing and drink way before the game starts in pubs all over Munich (they are more crazy than the English). It is really a nice club to be.

• Praise 2

23 hours ago, Atrecord said:

They got the cream of German football and they are also supplemented with class players like Lewandowski, Alaba, Coman, Thiago and youngsters like Davies. Traditionally, the big 4 in World Club football are Barca, Real Madrid, Man United and Bayern who have the financial strength, history and tradition to attract the best players so not surprising they can renew themselves. They are the big favourites together with City to win UCL this year.

Covid has hit them as otherwise players like Werner and Havertz would hv been bought by them already. They did get Sane from City though.

• Praise 5

Psg ko atalanta with 2 90min+ goal. damn sad for italy teams.

but i guess psg deserve their fair share of luck after failing at this stage for so many years

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

22 hours ago, Weez911 said:

They raid stars from other German teams, and stars are willing to join them because they can offer more, plus they are run effectively by former legends who know the game well.  The Munich fans are also fanatics if you have been there and met them. They eat, sing and drink way before the game starts in pubs all over Munich (they are more crazy than the English). It is really a nice club to be.

German football is better run than EPL in the sense that their fans have a stake in clubs unlike English clubs who are owned by owners who by and large are just interested in milking the clubs bar a few like Abramovich and the Sheikh. TV money and $ has clouded EPL clubs and alienated the fans which is the heartbeat of any football club. Unfortunately, money always talks and even more so in EPL I'm afraid.

• Praise 5

6 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Psg ko atalanta with 2 90min+ goal. damn sad for italy teams.

but i guess psg deserve their fair share of luck after failing at this stage for so many years

Just about to post this as well. This is PSG's best chance to get into UCL Final as their next opponent is the winner of tonite's Ath Madrd v Leipzig Q/F. Not saying Ath Madrid esp are pushovers as they are certainly not but the other half of the draw features the 2 favourites Man City and Bayern which on paper are tougher opponents.

PSG have the 2 most expensive players in the World in Mbappe n Neymar. Surely, they are destined for the ultimate prize?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5