Blood Donors Urgently Needed In S’pore As All Types Of Stocks In The Blood Bank Run Low

kobayashiGT

37 minutes ago, Solar said:

during my time donation was an ''option'', not forced.. but of course, the incek gave time off for going out to donate blood..don't need to come back until 2359

It was never forced. But think of the psychology of the conscript being trapped in the camp with all guys for 5.5 days a week. The off-in-lieu and nights off is very very tempting. This I learnt in psychology is called Operant Conditioning, using positive reinforcement. Increase the stimulus to receive a recurring behavior. [:p]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, 13177 said:

How come ‘retired’ liao? 😂

i was told i can't donate anymore cos i have 'grave's disease'' that affect my thyroid... instead of donating a bag every quarter, i will be donating a test tube for regular blood test.. 😅

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

56 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I believe that needle should be the same size as the one used for drips ?

honestly, i never actually looked over those years, but yes.. it was rather big, i suppose it should be the same..

but don't have to worry.. there will be a first small jab that feels like a prick, it numbs the skin for the biggie and the effect comes quick in a few minutes...

and the big one won't feel any pain. perhaps some uneasy movement when the actual needle go in initially, but no pain.

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

The thought of drawing blood i already feel fainting liao, donating blood think i will die. 😓

psychological la... think of yourself like a car engine....we change oil after some mileage, drain out the crap and pour in new, fresh oil.

similarly,  it's healthier to donate the old blood out cos new blood will be created by your body.

more lube and cleaner without all the crap and gunk that carries around your body. 

and of course... you help and save people with the blood you donate. this benefits everyone. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Solar said:

honestly, i never actually looked over those years, but yes.. it was rather big, i suppose it should be the same..

but don't have to worry.. there will be a first small jab that feels like a prick, it numbs the skin for the biggie and the effect comes quick in a few minutes...

and the big one won't feel any pain. perhaps some uneasy movement when the actual needle go in initially, but no pain.

I was on a drip for a week when I was hospitalised for blood loss... So I know how the needle feels like. Surprisingly,  it was not painful even during the pricking.

Anyway I chose not to receive a blood transfusion when the Dr asked me. 

1 hour ago, Solar said:

I guess also must depends the skills of the person inserting the needle.  Same like drawing blood, if the person skills no good,  can poke until your skin blue black and still no blood come out!

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Solar said:

psychological la... think of yourself like a car engine....we change oil after some mileage, drain out the crap and pour in new, fresh oil.

similarly,  it's healthier to donate the old blood out cos new blood will be created by your body.

more lube and cleaner without all the crap and gunk that carries around your body. 

and of course... you help and save people with the blood you donate. this benefits everyone. 

Red blood cells in our body die every 100-120 days. New ones are constantly produced from our bone marrows. Thanks to my Anatomy & Physiology for this knowledge.[:p] So basically, your body is having a constant oil change. It breaks down red blood cells by your spleen, your body will keep all the nutrients like iron, vit b12, etc... The waste are then excreted through your regular bowel movements.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Solar said:

Everyone told me psychological lo but no matter how i think also no use la, still feel fainting even drawing blood. This has been like that since young. 😓

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Everyone told me psychological lo but no matter how i think also no use la, still feel fainting even drawing blood. This has been like that since young. 😓

Same same. I am still scared of injection being done on me.

But I not scare when looking at blood or other ppl drawing blood.:XD:

• Haha! 4

On 12/13/2019 at 4:57 PM, Adrianli said:

Red blood cells in our body die every 100-120 days. New ones are constantly produced from our bone marrows. Thanks to my Anatomy & Physiology for this knowledge.[:p] So basically, your body is having a constant oil change. It breaks down red blood cells by your spleen, your body will keep all the nutrients like iron, vit b12, etc... The waste are then excreted through your regular bowel movements.

I see.. enlightening.. Thought it stay there..

Drawing the bag of blood is like an immediate change. Bochap the OCI 🤣

my friend had a bone marrow transplant recently

after bmt he needs 1 transfusion per week for first few months. 

he has  received more than 10 bags of blood.

saw quite a number of patients have leukemia, they need a lot of blood

please donate blood.                                                            

• Praise 1

Wish they pay for the parking. Least they could do for a blood donor.

Misery so.

Going cm. Who else?

The waste is known as Billy Rubin (bilirubin).

Urine yellow...bilirubin.

Edited by Datsun366

On 12/13/2019 at 9:13 AM, Ash2017 said:

I have donated blood many times before, have you seen the size of the needle used for blood donation

Even if they cut your vein into half, given enough time it will grow back just fine. whats your point here?

On 12/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, Solar said:

don't look...close your eyes and  it'll be over soon 😁

i belong to one of those scared of needles...look elsewhere, think something else, watch the tv.. anything but the process of poking..

Nowadays, they give you anesthesia jab before the blood donation needle. 

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Somewhat1975 said:

Nowadays, they give you anesthesia jab before the blood donation needle. 

Sometimes it is not about the needle but somehow it feels scary having the blood drawn out! 😓

22 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

Wish they pay for the parking. Least they could do for a blood donor.

Misery so.

Going cm. Who else?

The waste is known as Billy Rubin (bilirubin).

Urine yellow...bilirubin.

Yes, parking is free. U just need to collect the exit ticket from the counter before u leave.

And yes, still have a complimentary hot drink, sandwich and green bean soup

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Used to be a regular donor in my twenties...donno why I seemed to like free milo and crackers...no chio but only auntie type of nurses then...

U want to see chio ones... Don't go Outram. In my so many years of visits there, I have never seen one, not even near..

Unless I'm really that suay 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1