Blood Donors Urgently Needed In S’pore As All Types Of Stocks In The Blood Bank Run Low

kobayashiGT

3 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Which ball u referring to?   must be so painful for yourself 😂

Lol. squeeze ball for your hand...

↡ Advertisement

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

Blood products are treated like a national resource. U can pre-reserve blood products for operations with expected blood loss.
But otherwise it's not something u can anyhow consume as a doctor. As to whether how the charges work, i dunno. With itemised billing, there's always some fee attached to certain items or procedure. 

Never really thought about it that way though. But seems workable.

I think US and some other countries allow buying of blood. The students there can donate blood and get some pocket money - don't see anything wrong with that!

I am not saying that blood should be free to patients as there's definitely some fee to harvesting, testing and storage but it seems highly profitable judging from the numbers I've seen (dunno costs of harvesting, etc tho). However, it's clear that they sell it for medical tourism so why should anyone donate to a for profit scheme?

3 minutes ago, Kusje said:

I think US and some other countries allow buying of blood. The students there can donate blood and get some pocket money - don't see anything wrong with that!

I am not saying that blood should be free to patients as there's definitely some fee to harvesting, testing and storage but it seems highly profitable judging from the numbers I've seen (dunno costs of harvesting, etc tho). However, it's clear that they sell it for medical tourism so why should anyone donate to a for profit scheme?

Don't disagree with that point. But given the usage of blood, it's likely the vast majority of blood supplies are used for locals. 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Urban myth? I can't recall where i heard it from. But within our profession.
I heard it many years ago that when there's real shortage of blood, they ask SAF to help.

I think they offer you something to donate. Not coercion, but ask the whole unit to donate lor. Maybe give u some off-in-lieu or don't have to participate in training that day [laugh]

These donation drives cannot gather enough one. How many people u know donate regularly? 
I've tried once, but my veins are too fine. Flow rate is too slow. Took me almost 50mins of ball squeezing to donate 1 pack. My hand was cramping...

my active unit. 

It was during low session, they set up at the MPH, whole unit take turn by platoon. Given Milo and biscuit, no training that whole day...[laugh][laugh][laugh] 

• Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Blood products are treated like a national resource. U can pre-reserve blood products for operations with expected blood loss.
But otherwise it's not something u can anyhow consume as a doctor. As to whether how the charges work, i dunno. With itemised billing, there's always some fee attached to certain items or procedure. 

I dont know about emergency cases, but for non-emergency cases such as scheduled ops, my niece in law was asked to replace x numbers of bags of blood that she would be estimated to use before her ops, regardless of blood grp. 

I had an emergency ops, but cant really remember if they charged me for the blood, but if I recollect correctly, I think I was charged for the blood. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I heard it many years ago that when there's real shortage of blood, they ask SAF to help.

I think they offer you something to donate. Not coercion, but ask the whole unit to donate lor. Maybe give u some off-in-lieu or don't have to participate in training that day [laugh]

These donation drives cannot gather enough one. How many people u know donate regularly? 
I've tried once, but my veins are too fine. Flow rate is too slow. Took me almost 50mins of ball squeezing to donate 1 pack. My hand was cramping...

Yes asking NSF to donate and get the rest of the day off was prevalent even during my time 40 years ago so I'm sure it still is today!

• Praise 6

7 minutes ago, Spring said:

Yes asking NSF to donate and get the rest of the day off was prevalent even during my time 40 years ago so I'm sure it still is today!

given the number of elective operations we do nowadays is so many more, demand is likely much higher also.
40 years ago, u can't replace your knee etc. 

• Praise 2

You get half a day off , I did that during my army time, doing some good deed, nothing to lose. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

You need to pay for the blood transfer to you in hospital, it is chargeable item in the bill.

4 hours ago, Kusje said:

It is of course true. 

There is no "coercion" but those that donate "voluntarily" get perks like half day off.

I think 30years ago blood donors will get a donor card which will let them jump que when visiting polyclinic. 

• Praise 1

55 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Donate 3 packets withn 6 months and receive free one year road tax ......[sly]

50,000 MCF members here will go queue at the blood bank ...   [drivingcar]

:XD::XD:

Diabetic+high cholesterol+hypertension blood can or not har ? 

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Don't disagree with that point. But given the usage of blood, it's likely the vast majority of blood supplies are used for locals. 

Locals? U mean foreigners. 

5 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Diabetic+high cholesterol+hypertension blood can or not har ? 

Can ....  [nod]

At times, they don't need your red or white blood cells. They need is plasma for burnt victims.... :we-all-gonna-die:

Drunkards cannot cos the alcohol still in the blood. The one received will get drunk also .... 🤪

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Praise 1

5 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

I think 30years ago blood donors will get a donor card which will let them jump que when visiting polyclinic. 

Gotta donate two times within a calendar year to be entitled to this jump que card. Free consultation too. Somehow this entitlement was removed some years ago. 

↡ Advertisement