To renew COE for RX350

Lms822

2 minutes ago, Lms822 said:

RX350 is still in good condition at 120kkm

the concerns of keep it are it is a drinker and the additional 50% road tax in 14th year.

I will face the same dilemma in 3 years time. 😊

Your mileage is relatively low, and if in good condition, should easily last another 10 years with minimal maintenance.

I look at it from the depre perspective:

PARF+Body+PQP = $70K or $7,000 depre per year. 

I assume you are used to paying the $3100 annual road tax already, so I will not factor that into this equation. Additional road tax will add another $12,400 approx, or averaged out at $1,240 per year.

$7000+$1,240 = $8,240 per year, which is about the same as a B&B 1.6L car.

Question is, would you be able to get the same driving satisfaction from a B&B car as opposed to your spacious, quiet and powerful 300bhp V6 and the lux trimmings of a Lexus?

Oh, and also do consider that only TPFT insurance is available for older cars.

Let me know what you think.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Ceecookie said:

Renew COE if the RX350 is good condition. Gearbox should be OK as mileage is only 120k.

A 1.6l sedan won't have the power you are used to with the SUV unless u drive very light footed. If getting a new car, do consider turbo cars instead to make up for the smaller engine size

no new turbo car is below 80k 😅 

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i will renew,

say renew 5 years. car lost 30k, 5 years coe 20k ( aga aga )

mean 5 years u lost 50k 1 mth 833 for a RX350 with only 120k mileage and good condition.

say u swap to a 1.6 sedan, how much u need to pay installment monthly??

getting use swaping from a big car to a small car is another issue..

annual cost will be different by 2-3k to renew RX350, mostly due to high road tax

5 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I will face the same dilemma in 3 years time. 😊

Your mileage is relatively low, and if in good condition, should easily last another 10 years with minimal maintenance.

I look at it from the depre perspective:

PARF+Body+PQP = $70K or $7,000 depre per year. 

I assume you are used to paying the $3100 annual road tax already, so I will not factor that into this equation. Additional road tax will add another $12,400 approx, or averaged out at $1,240 per year.

$7000+$1,240 = $8,240 per year, which is about the same as a B&B 1.6L car.

Question is, would you be able to get the same driving satisfaction from a B&B car as opposed to your spacious, quiet and powerful 300bhp V6 and the lux trimmings of a Lexus?

Oh, and also do consider that only TPFT insurance is available for older cars.

Let me know what you think.

yes, I did the same calculation 😁

v6 is really sweet... 

• Praise 1

Just now, RogerNg_185295 said:

Why need to demote yourself driving a lower end car? Go for the renewal of the Lexus.

to save 3-4k a year due to road tax and petrol 😄

Just now, Toeknee_33 said:

SGCM says got 2: Suzuki Swift and Seat Toledo. 😀

swift too small, don't trust Seat 😂

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Lms822 said:

annual cost will be different by 2-3k to renew RX350, mostly due to high road tax

say u count in every thing from servicing road tax insurance etc etc.

owning your current rx350 and comparing to a normal 1.6l sedan 

1mth only 200-300 extra , i will go for rx350 any time.

if your burget really tight, and alway driving alone, no need carry family etc etc , that 1 indv consideration already .

anw even a lexus 10 years old, althought low mileage, u need prepare for some minor repair if u haven done any.

lower or upper arm, absorber, mounting, radiator, water pump air con system. etc etc , not saying  u renew must replace all at once.

but during the 5-10 years these parts might slowly need replacement 1 by 1.

• Praise 3

2 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Hmmm.......Ultimately you still need that status or not? Or can you swallow your pride and drive a lower end car?

COE vs brand new 😄

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

say u count in every thing from servicing road tax insurance etc etc.

owning your current rx350 and comparing to a normal 1.6l sedan 

1mth only 200-300 extra , i will go for rx350 any time.

if your burget really tight, and alway driving alone, no need carry family etc etc , that 1 indv consideration already .

anw even a lexus 10 years old, althought low mileage, u need prepare for some minor repair if u haven done any.

lower or upper arm, absorber, mounting, radiator, water pump air con system. etc etc , not saying  u renew must replace all at once.

but during the 5-10 years these parts might slowly need replacement 1 by 1.

yes, wear and tears parts are to be replaced, at least 5k I think

Edited by Lms822

43 minutes ago, Lms822 said:

To renew COE for RX350 

or

To buy a new 1.6l sedan

Seems like cost is not really the issue here since you are able to afford the RX350 (and the relatively higher road tax) so far. So it voice down to just 1 thing: Would you continue to enjoy driving the RX350 for the next 10 years?

As pointed out by @Toeknee_33 (I was working on the total renewal cost + additional road tax when I saw his post), the cost to renew your RX is slightly more than a BN Cerato, but you get to enjoy the extra space (and ride height), quietness/refinement, and better handling, so end of the day, the real question is which car you will like to be in...

For me, if I can swallow the higher road tax (within my means), I will opt for renewing the RX350.

• Praise 8

2 minutes ago, Lms822 said:

to save 3-4k a year due to road tax and petrol 😄

Given your mileage of 12,000km a year, petrol should not be a big difference. About $1000/year according to my calculations (@8km/l vs 12km/l).

Road tax is substantial though. $7400 for 1.6L car vs $43,400 for the RX. Or $3600/year.

Tough choice.

• Praise 2

41 minutes ago, Lms822 said:

RX350 is still in good condition at 120kkm

the concerns of keep it are it is a drinker and the additional 50% road tax in 14th year.

you are already paying for that kind of consumption now, you wont feel the pain by renewing it. By changing to a smaller new car wont save you a lot in consumption monthly anyway.

Road tax is the only concern, after 4 years time  you will have to pay 50% more which can be 1k plus more per year. 

Wear and tear cost will be higher than a new car for sure. 

The concern is power and space of a new smaller sedan. You can go try out kia and see if you like the power and leg rooms , no way it will match your RX, so you need to decide on this compromise. Next is how solid feel the car is. 

If you renew 10years COE, by 5 years time if you decide to ditch it, you will lose about $10k of depre per year, plus repair and roead tax(relative to 1.6L), maybe 3k to 4k more, your risk is about 3k to 5k or year higher than that of  a new 1.6L.  But you enjoy the comfort of a RX. 

As I said go test drive first before making further decision.

I was in the same cross road as your are now at one point but my decision was a lot easier because my e200 was 1.8L. Now I have a e200 and an Altis, both are COE cars for my family to driver around, and am debt free. 😅😅😅

By the way, you may want to up your depre assumption on new car to 13k to 15k a year to be on par with your RX and see what new car  could you get that you may like.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 4

2 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Given your mileage of 12,000km a year, petrol should not be a big difference. About $1000/year according to my calculations (@8km/l vs 12km/l).

Road tax is substantial though. $7400 for 1.6L car vs $43,400 for the RX. Or $3600/year.

Tough choice.

exactly

↡ Advertisement