To renew COE for RX350

Lms822

31 minutes ago, Mockngbrd said:

Wah 13k annual depre for COE car.... go buy M3/996 liao

This is real , but i am assuming a worst case scenario that he will use it for 5 years, not the full 10 years. 

30k  PARF write off in 5 years = 6k per year

PQP 40k = 4 k per year

Higher road tax plus some repair , conservatively 3k per year.

All in about 13k, sounds reasonable ? 

Of course if he could stretch it longer , he would save a bit more. I no money so I die die must drive for 10 years lah, 5 years is not an option to me  at all. Control, dont laugh ok.😂😂

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Ct3833 said:

This is real , but i am assuming a worst case scenario that he will use it for 5 years, not the full 10 years. 

30k part write off in 5 years = 6k per year

PQP 40k = 4 k per year

Higher road tax plus some repair , conservatively 3k per year.

All in about 13k, sounds reasonable ? 

scrap after 5 years, can get back 20k PQP?

1 minute ago, Lms822 said:

scrap after 5 years, can get back 20k PQP?

Yes you can get back 20k PQP, but remember you write off 20k PQP over 5 years  that is 4k per year.

If you decide to renew COE, you must go for 10 years to give you the flexibility to continue after 5 years. 

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Lms822 said:

sigh... tough tough...

at least your maintenance will be "cheaper", less conti rubbish to spoil.

i saved approx 5k in the end. not that much, but more importantly is,  i likely can avoid visiting the workshops so much.

i used to hanker for more power when driving a less powerful car, but when i had that power, i realized that i hardly had the opportunity to explore the power on local roads.

the Swift is 1/3 the power, 2/3 the weight, 1/2 the fuel consumption, 1/4 the roadtax, 1/2 the depre... i think i can live with it. still fun in its own way.

• Praise 2

I dont think it's wise to keep the RX350. Your mileage is so low means you hardly utilise the car. And you will be paying so much for road tax and insurance...and not to mention do the yearly car inspection (not free) . You just require a point A to B transport. It's up to you to set a budget be it used or new. 

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

at least your maintenance will be "cheaper", less conti rubbish to spoil.

i saved approx 5k in the end. not that much, but more importantly is,  i likely can avoid visiting the workshops so much.

i used to hanker for more power when driving a less powerful car, but when i had that power, i realized that i hardly had the opportunity to explore the power on local roads.

the Swift is 1/3 the power, 2/3 the weight, 1/2 the fuel consumption, 1/4 the roadtax, 1/2 the depre... i think i can live with it. still fun in its own way.

Swift is fun for one driver + one passenger, the rear seats are too steep 

3 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Yes you can get back 20k PQP, but remember you write off 20k PQP over 5 years  that is 4k per year.

If you decide to renew COE, you must go for 10 years to give you the flexibility to continue after 5 years. 

yes, for this class of cars.

but looking at things from a different angle for 5yr COE. the quantum is lower and it actually opens up yourself to more buyers should one try to sell a COE car after driving 1-2years.

ie selling a 12year old altis w 5yr coe seems to open up to a larger pool of buyers vs a 10yr renewed one.

1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

I dont think it's wise to keep the RX350. Your mileage is so low means you hardly utilise the car. And you will be paying so much for road tax and insurance...and not to mention do the yearly car inspection (not free) . You just require a point A to B transport. It's up to you to set a budget be it used or new. 

yes, one of my consideration

Swift is fun for one driver + one passenger, the rear seats are too steep 

the rx350 is the primary car or a 2nd car?

renew coe is always cheaper if your next car will be at the same class.

eg., car bought new at 208k, arf 84k, dep 16.6k

extend coe at 40k, mean your average dep from new will be 208k + 40k = 248k, average dep since new 12.4k

it only make sense for you to downgrade to a smaller car to enjoy a cheaper dep. I will only extend coe if the car

is with me since new n I do take care of the car from day 1.

1 minute ago, Lava said:

renew coe is always cheaper if your next car will be at the same class.

eg., car bought new at 208k, arf 84k, dep 16.6k

extend coe at 40k, mean your average dep from new will be 208k + 40k = 248k, average dep since new 12.4k

it only make sense for you to downgrade to a smaller car to enjoy a cheaper dep. I will only extend coe if the car

is with me since new n I do take care of the car from day 1.

bought the RX when the 1st owner did 50kkm in 5 years, super good condition

2nd, have an Alphard to ferry kids

then the choice is clear. i would save the money. you dont need 2 gas guzzlers to ferry "air".

to have this question pop up means you are already considering dumping the RX350. whatever the rx350 does, the alphard does it better. more space and comfort. the rx350 neither gives driving pleasure nor functions as a better people carrier. the high tax and FC just makes it quite pointless IMHO.

get a simple BB car to run errands or when driving alone. it depends on how often you ferry kids and how many kids. the swift 1.0T is a nippy car in the city. thats what i'll do. good to have a contrasting vehicle.

• Praise 4

15 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

then the choice is clear. i would save the money. you dont need 2 gas guzzlers to ferry "air".

to have this question pop up means you are already considering dumping the RX350. whatever the rx350 does, the alphard does it better. more space and comfort. the rx350 neither gives driving pleasure nor functions as a better people carrier. the high tax and FC just makes it quite pointless IMHO.

get a simple BB car to run errands or when driving alone. it depends on how often you ferry kids and how many kids. the swift 1.0T is a nippy car in the city. thats what i'll do. good to have a contrasting vehicle.

if he is at that level to own a rx n alphard, I don't think he would want to downgrade to a swift, at least I won't.

base on math, I will choose to renew coe for rx or get a new car of the same class.

Edited by Lava
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yes, for this class of cars.

but looking at things from a different angle for 5yr COE. the quantum is lower and it actually opens up yourself to more buyers should one try to sell a COE car after driving 1-2years.

ie selling a 12year old altis w 5yr coe seems to open up to a larger pool of buyers vs a 10yr renewed one.

You are correct because people who are looking at  B&B COE  cars usually have a lower upfront budget.  But it makes sense for the higher end PARF cars to go.for 10 years , otherwise the 5 year write off can be hefty.  But I renewed both with 10 years , just follow my instinct, after all the COE amount to be paid is not a lot of different comparing with 5 years , but having the flexibility  to decide what to do after 5 years.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Lava said:

if he is at that level to own a rx n alphard, I don't think he would want to downgrade to a swift, at least I won't.

base on math, I will choose to renew coe for rx or get a new car of the same class.

i would say his priorities have changed. else this would not have been brought up. it would have been to just renew or buy a new RX300.

And TS case is to renew or a new BB car.

Edited by Mkl22