2020 Kia Seltos any news?

alfakidz85

Internal Moderator

Review: 2020 Kia Seltos SX

Source: https://www.topgear.com.ph/drives/car-reviews/review-2020-kia-seltos-sx-a958-20191229?ref=home_featured_big

kia-seltos-review-main-1577426281.jpg

While the number of small, affordable seven-seater SUVs has increased in recent years, it hasn’t stopped carmakers from targeting other, possibly overlapping segments that have performed well in the past, such as subcompact crossovers. With Kia Philippines ramping up its mass-market attack, it’s been bolstering its lineup with more models to tick all the boxes it needs to tick, crossovers included.

This is the Seltos, whose name—maybe not so coincidentally—starts with the same letter as more than a few of its stablemates. It’s the latest model in Kia’s lineup—in a packed segment, no less—so let’s find out what it has to offer.

Styling

kia-seltos-review-1-1577426273.jpg

When it comes to exterior design, Kia usually gets it right, and the Seltos is no exception. Up front is an imposing tiger-nose grille flanked by sleek but big LED headlamps. Hood strakes above them give the crossover an angular shape, while the beefy haunches on the side provide some welcome curvature. Underneath, the 17-inch bi-color alloy wheels give the car an SUV-like appearance.

In the rear, you get similarly big LED taillights, combined with a gray plastic strip in the center. This particular unit comes in a Land Rover-esque two-tone paint scheme: Starbright Yellow for the body, and Cherry Black for the roof and the pillars. In all, what the Seltos offers is a stylish package that looks good and exudes a premium feel beyond its actual price point. Kudos, Kia. 

Interior

kia-seltos-review-2-1577426273.jpg

The cabin is equally stylish, but a lot more subtle in approach. The large, leather-clad steering wheel is standard Kia fare, and comfortable to hold. The instrument panel is bright and legible, while the single-zone automatic aircon is operated by blocky and easy-to-use switchgear. In the middle, you get a floating eight-inch infotainment screen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. There are six speakers on board that provide crisp, reverberating output throughout the cabin. 

The leatherette and cloth seats in this top-spec SX variant, meanwhile, boast ample cushioning, and the rear perches provide reasonable space for the segment. In the back, you get a cavernous cargo area with 433 liters of space. Other creature comforts include push-button start, automatic up-down power windows on the driver’s side, and cruise control. It certainly ticks all the boxes for a city-going crossover. 

Engine

kia-seltos-review-3-1577426274.jpg

Powering the Seltos is a 2.0-liter, in-line-four gasoline capable of 147hp and 179Nm, and mated to a CVT dubbed ‘Intelligent Variable Tranmission’ by Kia. Throttle response in this crossover is instant, which can be either good or bad (more on that in the next section). Floor the go-pedal and speed builds up at a steady, naturally aspirated clip. On this city-based test, we managed to average 8km/L.

Driving impressions

kia-seltos-review-5-1577426274.jpg

If I had to pinpoint a particular gripe with this crossover, it would have to be the driving experience. At times, it feels as if you’re behind the wheel of a midsize SUV, complete with view-obscuring A-Pillars, a high beltline, and a hefty frame that takes up more space than you’d expect. At the same time, acceleration and handling are almost sedan-like, with the car eager to lurch forward at the lightest tap of the throttle, making you forget that you’re actually driving something bigger. This dual personality can be a bit startling at times, especially when making your way through gridlock.

That aside, the 17-inch rubber and the suspension setup do a decent job of absorbing and dampening road imperfections, and the 170mm ground clearance ensures you won’t scrape the bumper during day-to-day driving. 

Extra features

kia-seltos-review-9-1577426277.jpg

Exclusive to this top-of-the-line variant are safety amenities like electronic stability control, downhill brake Control, hill-start assist, and rear sensors. LED headlamps and foglamps, along with smart keyless entry, are likewise available only on the SX spec.

Verdict

kia-seltos-review-11-1577426277.jpg

Subompact crossovers remain a ubiquitous presence on Philippine roads, and are one of those must-haves that carmakers need to include in their lineups. So, is the Seltos just another box for Kia to tick? We can’t say for sure, but if it is, the Korean manufacturer has certainly put some thought into it. This crossover presents a complete package in terms of features and pogi points. 

At just under P1.5 million, though, this top-of-the-line variant leans toward the pricier end of the segment, competing with the likes of the Mazda CX-3 and CX-30 based on cost. It’s certainly an ambitious proposition given the Ayala-led Kia’s mass-market leanings, and some might find the more affordable lower variants to be more tempting. You get the same able crossover, after all, minus some convenience and safety features. 

kia-seltos-review-7-1577426275.jpg

kia-seltos-review-8-1577426276.jpg

kia-seltos-review-6-1577426278.jpg

kia-seltos-review-12-1577426278.jpg

kia-seltos-review-14-1577426279.jpg

kia-seltos-review-13-1577426279.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

39 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Wow.....110k. 

110k is very steep considering we didn't get the 1.6T version. 

I assume it refers to the SX/GT Line model?

Top up another $6000 and u can get the Tucson S 1.6T liao. And its a bigger car no matter how. And more powerful obviously. 

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Cheefarn said:

110k is very steep considering we didn't get the 1.6T version. 

I assume it refers to the SX/GT Line model?

Top up another $6000 and u can get the Tucson S 1.6T liao. And its a bigger car no matter how. And more powerful obviously. 

Cannot buy. Its not a good buy.

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, MarkerPen said:

My SE confirmed that it will be the 1.4T 138bhp/ 242Nm paired to a 7spd DCT. Indicative pricing is 110k

If that’s indeed the case, pricing strategy by C&C failed at least for me. 

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, MarkerPen said:

My SE confirmed that it will be the 1.4T 138bhp/ 242Nm paired to a 7spd DCT. Indicative pricing is 110k

I bought my 1.5T 148bhp/ 250Nm 7 speed DSG in Jun this year, Cat B COE at 35k. My buying price is abt 110k. Just for a comparison. 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, RevStarZen said:

If that’s indeed the case, pricing strategy by C&C failed at least for me. 

Not only that. Considering Kia will be selling the Seltos 1.6T in Bolehland in 2020 makes me really wonder why are we always shortchanged with the cars that are available for us yet we have the most expensive car prices on this planet. 

They are even considering to bring in the new Optima... a model that will be denied in SG becos some 'expert SE' claimed there won't be a RHD version for this new Optima generation... Looks like Kia made a RHD Optima just for Malaysian market huh... 

image.png.c74654f1a50f5ad9223fe60ea95f81e1.png

• Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Newly launched car price is never a good buy.

I beg to differ as the launch prices for both HYUNDAI Kona 1.0T as well as the Stonic was the lowest previously. Another factor have to take into consideration is also the COE though.

54 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

Not only that. Considering Kia will be selling the Seltos 1.6T in Bolehland in 2020 makes me really wonder why are we always shortchanged with the cars that are available for us yet we have the most expensive car prices on this planet. 

They are even considering to bring in the new Optima... a model that will be denied in SG becos some 'expert SE' claimed there won't be a RHD version for this new Optima generation... Looks like Kia made a RHD Optima just for Malaysian market huh... 

image.png.c74654f1a50f5ad9223fe60ea95f81e1.png

Oh well...at least C&C didn’t bring in the ancient N.A. engines but $110K for a 1.4 T-GDi is way overpriced which makes the Tucson 1.6 T-GDi a much better buy though...

Given the cabin has a lot of hard plastics. I think up to 100k would be a decent proposition given it's a subcompact crossover and does have a turbo engine. But at 110k range, not much point. Given that the tucson's price as what people have mentioned.

• Praise 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:04 AM, RevStarZen said:

All depends on C&C now on whether they want to profit at highest margin or provide value for money to consumers...

i dun think any business set out to provide value for consumers wor 😜

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vegas said:

i dun think any business set out to provide value for consumers wor 😜

Oh well...Value for consumers=more market-share and visibility on the roads...ball is in their court and depends on what they aiming for...😝

• Praise 1

They have the financial means to lose sales of the new model.  I think they are trying their luck with this type of pricing.  But being a big corporation with decades of experience,  I am sure they more or less know what they can achieve. 

• Praise 1

On 12/30/2019 at 9:38 AM, MarkerPen said:

Price exactly the same as Kia Niro... one hybrid Cat A with high depre thanks to VES "rebate" the other one Cat B standard depre and +10hp. Which one cannibalize sales of which?

Wonder what the OMV looks like

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Price exactly the same as Kia Niro... one hybrid Cat A with high depre thanks to VES "rebate" the other one Cat B standard depre and +10hp. Which one cannibalize sales of which?

Wonder what the OMV looks like

Until I see our Seltos SX in person, I can only say the new FL Niro SX is really well equipped. Even the active safety features eg blind spot detection, lane departure warning are included. 

But the deal breaker is that c n c asked Kia to DETUNE the hybrid system so that total op drop to Cat A... while the rest of the world gets the preFL Niro proper Cat B power op of 265NM of torque... 

TMD... 265 down to 170NM... still can say the car drives the same as b4?!

The same applies to FL Ioniq also. The FL is alot weaker than the pre FL ones... just to save about 6k diff in COE?

• Praise 1