5yo SG boy got left behind by parents at Machap petrol station

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

S’porean boy, 5, gets left alone at M’sian gas station after parents forgot about him & drove off

ezgif.com-gif-maker-17.thumb.jpg.4075576ae9ab0d1a8166c9f15499b7ca.jpg

https://mothership.sg/2019/12/lost-singaporean-boy-in-malaysia/

Now those with kids, tell me, is it remotely possible to even forget about your kids, and only remembering them 2 hours later? At 5 year old, I would suppose they should be quite vocal, jumpy and needy, unless they're asleep! Haha. 

And not in Singapore, but in Malaysia (sorry neighbors) where you don't even wanna leave your belongings unattended for 5 mins. Not everyday is sunshine and rainbows. Thankfully for the parents on this day they met kind people across the border and all ended well. 

Not too long ago there was a similar incident where the mum was left behind.

Now that it's the holiday period please be ultra safe and check all your belongings, and your kids!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

Full story here for those lazy to click:

On Saturday (Dec. 14), a five-year-old Singaporean boy was left stranded at Machap, Johor after his parents drove off without him.

According to Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao, the boy was found in the toilet of a Petronas gas station where his parents had stopped for a short break.

He was wandering around the area, crying for his mother when a Petronas staff member found him.

World Of Buzz reported that the incident occurred around 7am in the morning.

The staff tried to search for the boy’s parents, but to no avail.

As the lost boy continued crying, he was brought inside the gas station shop and comforted with ice cream and Milo.

Got help from social media

In the process of locating the boy’s parents, one Chen Shi Fu took to Facebook for help.

Chen said that his friend had come across the boy while taking a break at the gas station.

However, it is unclear if the friend was the staff who had discovered the boy.

A photo of the boy was uploaded with the following caption:

“Please help to share around.

Derrick, 5 years old from Singapore got separated with his parents at Machap, Malaysia’s Petronas station.

Do contact Petronas staff if anyone know this boy’s parents/relatives.

Thanks!!”

The petrol station manager, Zammal, told Lianhe Wanbao that a police report was made.

However, they didn’t send the boy to the police station as they thought that the family would come back to the gas station to find him.

Reunited with parents

According to 8world, the boy’s parents only realised that their son was missing two hours after leaving the rest stop.

They then called the police.

At about 10pm that day, Simpang Renggam police reunited the boy with his parents at a police station located 20 kilometres away from the gas station.

Police confirmed that the boy is Singaporean and that the parents had accidentally left the boy behind.

It is unclear if the family continued their trip in Malaysia or if they returned to Singapore.

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

S’porean boy, 5, gets left alone at M’sian gas station after parents forgot about him & drove off

Not too long ago there was a similar incident where the mum was left behind.

That was Jamesc trying his luck with his MIL.... 

• Haha! 8

Internal Moderator
9 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

That was Jamesc trying his luck with his MIL.... 

Hahaha spot on. And MCF will serve as his self incriminating evidence over the years. 

• Haha! 2

I saw these few days ago but could barely believe the story. Thought maybe fake news...

Convoy of vehicles? Some other parent jaga-ing other kids on other parents behalf?

Given that we don't have large families, seems scarcely believable that at a petrol kiosk where u can only pee, go mini mart and pump petrol, u can forget your child. It's not like they wandered and got lost in a mall.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

I hope the parents realize it was a bad decision and will not "leave" him behind again. Bring him into this world, they have the responsibility to bring him up regardless of what happens.

• Praise 5

Maybe they have many kids and entrusted the headcount to an older sibling. Or had a very big car. Whatever. Seems weird a 5-year old can be missed by both parents.

But as weird as it seems such things do happen in other scenarios where everyone thought someone else was handling the problem. In aviation we call this bad CRM (crew resource mgmt) and some causes of fatal air crashes are beyond belief, but it happens!

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4

34 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I saw these few days ago but could barely believe the story. Thought maybe fake news...

Convoy of vehicles? Some other parent jaga-ing other kids on other parents behalf?

Given that we don't have large families, seems scarcely believable that at a petrol kiosk where u can only pee, go mini mart and pump petrol, u can forget your child. It's not like they wandered and got lost in a mall.

sometimes when travelling in family or friends convoy in MY its normal for the kids to want to switch cars to be with their buddies, cousins, grandparent whatever.

But i ban my kids from hopping over. I don't want any other driver to be responsible for their lives on those roads. 

• Praise 7

si mi mood also spoilt liao .... 

It is unclear if the family continued their trip in Malaysia or if they returned to Singapore.

Edited by Wt_know

35 minutes ago, Karoon said:

sometimes when travelling in family or friends convoy in MY its normal for the kids to want to switch cars to be with their buddies, cousins, grandparent whatever.

But i ban my kids from hopping over. I don't want any other driver to be responsible for their lives on those roads. 

Agreed. Not allowed.

Unless it's like some Hiace and I am not the actual driver also. 

51 minutes ago, Vid said:

I hope the parents realize it was a bad decision and will not "leave" him behind again. Bring him into this world, they have the responsibility to bring him up regardless of what happens.

Yeah that's what i thought also...

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Sure, when it happens repeatedly to Macaulay Culkin, we all think it's damn funny... 😂😂😂

Everything has a happy ending during xmas time [:p]

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Everything has a happy ending during xmas time [:p]

Yes, I make sure Rudolph (my red nosed reindeer) gets a nice rub around Xmas. 😂

Anyway, Trump cameo-ed in Home Alone 2 and now look where we are. Happy ending? I think not! 😁

• Haha! 1

How can they leave the poor boy?

MIL I can understand.

:grin:

Anyway I don't blame the parents my favourite movie is Home alone.

When travelling especially with a few cars in convoy its an easy mistake to make.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1