Bennington water heater

Neutrino

The Bennington water heater we've had for eight years started leaking water from the unit yesterday.

Anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it.

Can't contact Bennington except to 'leave a message'.

Any good plumbers to recommend and is it best to replace the heater with a similar model or change to an instant water heater and if so any recommendations.

↡ Advertisement

Alpha....

BTW,  there is another thread on water heaters where I said best to buy Malaysian brand in Malaysia.  They know their stuff. 

Edited by Ysc3

20 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Alpha....

BTW,  there is another thread on water heaters where I said best to buy Malaysian brand in Malaysia.  They know their stuff. 

You saying we Singaporeans know less than Malaysians?

50 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

The Bennington water heater we've had for eight years started leaking water from the unit yesterday.

Any good plumbers to recommend and is it best to replace the heater with a similar model or change to an instant water heater and if so any recommendations.

Mine started leaking after the 5th year. The cause of leak is from the 2 black rubber tubing, which weakened and leaked after prolonged use. Initially I cut the tube to remove the leaking part, which is near the connector, but after 2 times of doing that, the rubber tube became too short and weak, and burst shortly after repair.

Managed to find a similar tube from a hardware shop at Jalan Besar area, and replaced it 3 months ago. Cost: $5 for 1 metre.

These 2 rubber tubes are connected to the relay switch, based on forward and back-pressure. If there is forward pressure, the relay turns on the switch to activate the heating element. If there is back pressure, the relay disconnects, to prevent overheating.

The heating elements are still in good order, it's a waste to throw away at $300 heater just because of $5 leaky tubes.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Neutrino said:

Yes i have used the similar one in my previous house.

Faced similar issue.

Follow the advise from Alpha78 and just change the tube DIY.

Just remember to ensure power off when changing it.

Can use the white plumbing tape at the rubber and metal joint part to reduce wear and tear.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Alpha78 said:

Pictures for reference. Items to be replaced are the 2 black tubes linking the water inlet to the thermostat relay switch. 

IMG_20191217_095812.jpg

Thanks for that.

Looks like something I can do.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get the cover off the heater and don't want to use too much force unless I break the cover.

I've undone and taken out the screw at the bottom of the cover but there seems to be something at the top of the cover holding it in place.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Thanks for that.

Looks like something I can do.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how to get the cover off the heater and don't want to use too much force unless I break the cover.

I've undone and taken out the screw at the bottom of the cover but there seems to be something at the top of the cover holding it in place.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

There's another screw at the top. More like a plug. Just pull it off and the cover comes off. 

The place to buy the tubes, is a hardware shop facing the multistorey car park of 808 French Road, Kitchener Complex. Bring the thermostat switch along with the tubes to show the staff. 

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Neutrino said:

You saying we Singaporeans know less than Malaysians?

Malaysia uses more of these instant heaters so their foundation on these is better than us here ... And also cheaper. 

BTW,  I'm referring to the product.

Edited by Ysc3

12 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

There's another screw at the top. More like a plug. Just pull it off and the cover comes off. 

The place to buy the tubes, is a hardware shop facing the multistorey car park of 808 French Road, Kitchener Complex. Bring the thermostat switch along with the tubes to show the staff. 

Yup, found it, actually two screws on mine.

Got the cover off now.

Will report back.

5 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Yup, found it, actually two screws on mine.

Got the cover off now.

Will report back.

Do get a basin to catch the leaking water, it can be quite a lot, especially if the tube completely breaks. 

Remember to turn off the inlet tap. 

• Praise 1

Yeah thanks.

Does that plastic tube have a brass insert at the end?

Well sorted one end where the plastic tube is attached with that brass nut but then the other end started leaking.  Maybe I'm not sufficiently delicate with my hands and also my short sightedness doesn't help.

So I've decided to just get the unit replaced.

Thanks for your assistance.

Well appreciated.

Edited by Neutrino

1 hour ago, Neutrino said:

Yeah thanks.

Does that plastic tube have a brass insert at the end?

Well sorted one end where the plastic tube is attached with that brass nut but then the other end started leaking.  Maybe I'm not sufficiently delicate with my hands and also my short sightedness doesn't help.

So I've decided to just get the unit replaced.

Thanks for your assistance.

Well appreciated.

Yes, there is a brass insert on either end, just need to take it out and insert into the replacement tube.

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Alpha78 said:

Yes, there is a brass insert on either end, just need to take it out and insert into the replacement tube.

Thanks.

But when I was tightening the nuts after shortening the tube and replacing the inserts I found the tube twisted so couldn't  really get things sorted.  Maybe after cutting the tube it was then too short. Will get it the Bennington replaced today S$450 in total but will buy some more tube in case similar happens in future.

Is the Hardware shop 'Chuan Hup Huat'.

Edited by Neutrino

wah...jin rich

i peasant nia...use 707 at half the cost and my last 2 sets, 1 in each toilet, lasted me 20 years before replacement

🤗

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah...jin rich

i peasant nia...use 707 at half the cost and my last 2 sets, 1 in each toilet, lasted me 20 years before replacement

🤗

Yeah in our old HDB we had instant water heater lasted well over 20 years no problem.

But you know the 'latest' technology is designed to fail.

Can you give more details of your 707 for future ref.

7 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Yeah in our old HDB we had instant water heater lasted well over 20 years no problem.

But you know the 'latest' technology is designed to fail.

Can you give more details of your 707 for future ref.

i used back the cheapest model in their range....707 compact

order from goh ah bee...they can recommend their trusted installer if you ask

see can last how long this time

😅

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Neutrino said:

Thanks.

But when I was tightening the nuts after shortening the tube and replacing the inserts I found the tube twisted so couldn't  really get things sorted.  Maybe after cutting the tube it was then too short. Will get it the Bennington replaced today S$450 in total but will buy some more tube in case similar happens in future.

Is the Hardware shop 'Chuan Hup Huat'.

Can't remember the name of the hardware shop, this shop was recommended to me by the owner of another hardware shop along Jalan Besar, who helped me to measure the tube diameter, call the shop and confirm they carry this item, and went with me in my car to the shop, after closing his shop on a Saturday afternoon. After visiting more than 5 shops, that was the last shop I visited before giving up. Talk about luck!

On the part of the tubes twisting, you need to try to twist them in the other direction before screwing the caps back, to reduce the amount of twists. In the picture, that's how I left the parts dangling after fixing new tubes, because the new tubes were stiffer. Never bothered to replace the cover.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1