Gojek drama: "Do you mind" or would you pay the tip

VteckiCk

Private hire driver rules are clear and mentioned by asiaone. Terminating the ride halfway is 5 demerit points. See how many times this guy can chut this stunt.

Also arm chioed at this Joseph. There are so many taxis at the airport, why wanna take Grab/Gojek? Plus his house so near, with surcharge the taxi fare would be $20 nia. For $6, they got left by the side of the road at 2am in the morning, and probably no way to get a cab.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Philipkee said:

The same thing I mentioned in the NTU case.  I would agree with you, with a caution.  We are only reading one side of the story on social media.  No video, if I see correctly. 

So let's just be careful not to be riled up based on what is a one sided post.  Lest another side of the story turns up.  

Not calling this fake news.  Just cautioning.

Peace.

Agree, 2 sides to a coin.

Suspect they get into royal argument/shouting match in the car and thus driver burns his bridges.

If passenger just act blur and cry tolong, I doubt the driver will go this drastic. He also lugi his time and petrol to jettison them suddenly.

If this case is true, its called EXTORTION.  V illegal in our law. 

And we cant let this pass.  If not, everyone will be doing the same thing, from cab drivers to F&B staff to all other industries

12 hours ago, flashbang said:

Private hire driver rules are clear and mentioned by asiaone. Terminating the ride halfway is 5 demerit points. See how many times this guy can chut this stunt.

Also arm chioed at this Joseph. There are so many taxis at the airport, why wanna take Grab/Gojek? Plus his house so near, with surcharge the taxi fare would be $20 nia. For $6, they got left by the side of the road at 2am in the morning, and probably no way to get a cab.

I was at the airport on November 10.

Queues for taxis were as long as I've seen them and I waited for a taxi for 45 minutes.

If I'd known how to use Grab I certainly would have.

This reminds me of my recent trip to USA. Tipping is almost compulsory in the restaurants, except those fast food.

I also find it weird that after you signed for the bill you have to indicate on the bill whether to tip 15%, 18%, 20%. My fre told me if you never indicate, some restaurants will still just deduct the tip from your card. Not sure if true or not.

21 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

This reminds me of my recent trip to USA. Tipping is almost compulsory in the restaurants, except those fast food.

I also find it weird that after you signed for the bill you have to indicate on the bill whether to tip 15%, 18%, 20%. My fre told me if you never indicate, some restaurants will still just deduct the tip from your card. Not sure if true or not.

Why make it a culture to tip? If the staff/waiter never did anything to value add or didn't put in effort to be polite...why do they deserve to be tipped? I mean the tip has to be earned by the individual. It's not mandatory.

If the individual asked to be tip at the end of his/her service I would give according to what I feel he/she has done to deserve it. Isnt that what a tip is about?

For this driver the service has not even met its expectations and he started asking for a tip at the start of the journey. This is just wrong. When there's money involved it's called extortion. And he can do that as much as he wants along the journey.

Where's the driver's side of the story? If he's not what ppl say he is (extorting his passengers), come out and give your version of the story.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Why make it a culture to tip? If the staff/waiter never did anything to value add or didn't put in effort to be polite...why do they deserve to be tipped? I mean the tip has to be earned by the individual. It's not mandatory.

If the individual asked to be tip at the end of his/her service I would give according to what I feel he/she has done to deserve it. Isnt that what a tip is about?

For this driver the service has not even met its expectations and he started asking for a tip at the start of the journey. This is just wrong. When there's money involved it's called extortion. And he can do that as much as he wants along the journey. 

Where's the driver's side of the story? If he's not what ppl say he is (extorting his passengers), come out and give your version of the story.

Yes that's why I find it weird, even as a tourist in the USA. I mean maybe it works there, but definitely will not work here. That's why we have service tax. Maybe this driver is from USA, no tip me no deal. Tip shd be purely voluntary I feel. I took a taxi from the airport after a 18 hr flight, I also asked the taxi keep the change. But to demand is not acceptable here in SG.

21 minutes ago, Matoonia said:

Yes that's why I find it weird, even as a tourist in the USA. I mean maybe it works there, but definitely will not work here. That's why we have service tax. Maybe this driver is from USA, no tip me no deal. Tip shd be purely voluntary I feel. I took a taxi from the airport after a 18 hr flight, I also asked the taxi keep the change. But to demand is not acceptable here in SG.

I agree that tip, especially in our non-tip culture, should be entirely voluntary. 

I have always tipped taxi drivers when coming back from changi Airport as I know many have waited hours to just get a passenger. There's an opportunity cost. 

For a phv driver, there usually isn't much of a wait and it's likely that they were quite nearby. Not sure why this driver wanted a tip if that's true. 

8 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

For a phv driver, there usually isn't much of a wait and it's likely that they were quite nearby. Not sure why this driver wanted a tip if that's true. 

becos gojek fares are good for commuters, but SUCK for drivers. 

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Othello said:

yes, partly the system a bit stupid and they have not improved it.

Grab app able to tips driver after the ride, gojek should have that too. If the fare is much lower than Grab, i would like to tip the driver via the app and not cash. It is a bit funny to tips in cash (a dollar or few dollars) and pay the fare by card. 

11 minutes ago, Othello said:

There cannot be totally no perks for Gojek drivers bah? Then who will want to be their drivers? All will go to Grab. There must be some kinda competition going on between the two companies to attract drivers.

7 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

yes, partly the system a bit stupid and they have not improved it.

Grab app able to tips driver after the ride, gojek should have that too. If the fare is much lower than Grab, i would like to tip the driver via the app and not cash. It is a bit funny to tips in cash (a dollar or few dollars) and pay the fare by card. 

Perhaps they are not like taxi drivers who have taxi union to fight for what the drivers think they deserve.

2 hours ago, Neutrino said:

I was at the airport on November 10.

Queues for taxis were as long as I've seen them and I waited for a taxi for 45 minutes.

If I'd known how to use Grab I certainly would have.

What so difficult about Grab?

1 hour ago, Othello said:

Then dun drive for gojek la. Not like they pointing gun at drivers, 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Matoonia said:

The US is full of dumbasses who are resistant to change because "muh Murican tradition". 

Just be glad you didn't get shot. 

We shouldn't use the US as a benchmark of anything service related.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

The US is full of dumbasses who are resistant to change because "muh Murican tradition". 

Just be glad you didn't get shot. 

We shouldn't use the US as a benchmark of anything service related.

Japan no need tip, Service best. 

Russians also service best, tip depends on you. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1