Acceleration -- CVT vs auto

Kklim

Deciding between renewing COE for my Sylphy G11 auto and buying a new Hyundai Accent (CVT). Drive on NSH up north every few months so would like to ask how CVT compares to auto transmission for acceleration. Thanks for any help.

↡ Advertisement

why not test drive?

CVTs are very linear. U can stomp hard, but the engine and transmission will just ignore.

lol.

A conventional torque convertor is not necessarily faster mind you, but the auto gearbox will downshift and make more sound and try to accelerate faster. but given all 1.6L and below NA engines. Liddat lor. Lot of sound, some more acceleration but not much.

If u are impatient, auto. If u are chillax driver, cvt.

• Praise 2

CVT gb sad to say is depending on who's the maker.

For Nissan I believe it's from their affiliated company called Jatco. The gb are way below expectations and not good. The main frustration is that they are laggy and not responsive. For new cars I believe they are having some issues now.

I dunno about the Hyundai/Kia CVT gb cos so far I have not driven any of their cars equipped with their CVT gb.

Edited by Watwheels

24 minutes ago, Kklim said:

Deciding between renewing COE for my Sylphy G11 auto and buying a new Hyundai Accent (CVT). Drive on NSH up north every few months so would like to ask how CVT compares to auto transmission for acceleration. Thanks for any help.

Hyundai still selling Accent meh?

The difference between conventional and CVT would be more felt during acceleration, but that stops at the driver's feeling , not the actual performance. Both sylphy and accent are nowhere  a powerful car,  a 12 sec vs 11.5 sec from 0 to 100kmph is not going make any difference in the way you overtake a tanker. Do what you like between the two. 

Just now, Beehive3783 said:

Hyundai still selling Accent meh?

I believe he is comparing between a COE extension sylphy vs a used accent.

• Praise 1

After driving cars with conventional auto and CVT, I don't really see much difference. Maybe my driving style is more gentle type. Normal Auto will be more obvious when it change gears. But again who cares which gear it is on since we chose an auto transmission car. I heard CVT is less lasting and cost a bomb to overhaul, but it is more fuel economical. 

Edited by Optramagnum

Levorg 2.0 uses CVT but it's pretty fast too! Long time ago I tested the 1.6 version at MI and felt it was rather responsive; guess Subaru's lineartronic CVT is one of the better ones out there.

Edited by STiYaKuzA

39 minutes ago, Kklim said:

mileage of current sylphy? any money to be plonked to fix stuff?

Whether it's CVT or Auto(planetary gb) the shifting of the gears and responsiveness largely depends on the software that manages the gb. The programming of the gear up shifts and down shifts is key when it comes to comfort, fuel economy and reliability. That's why I say it's dependent on the maker of the gb. Not all CVTs are made equal.

The "clutch" wise the CVT and Auto use the same fluid drum called torque converter. Maybe that's why some cannot tell the difference during their driving experience.

Edited by Watwheels

14 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

mileage of current sylphy? any money to be plonked to fix stuff?

150K. Nothing that's not working but thinking of replacing wear and tear stuff: rear shocks, ignition coils and plugs, ATF and filter, brake fluid, coolant, etc 

1 hour ago, Kklim said:

Well then I think you should consider keeping your Sylphy if the gearbox is healthy.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure Sylphy is better than the Accent in all aspects.

Do note that you won't get such spacious rear legroom with the Accent, if that is what your family values.

1 hour ago, Kklim said:

150K. Nothing that's not working but thinking of replacing wear and tear stuff: rear shocks, ignition coils and plugs, ATF and filter, brake fluid, coolant, etc 

i would buy the accent. if based purely on sums alone.

sylphy: $4.2k                     accent:$7.1k

roadtax: $957                                 $747

Petrol(15K): $2.73k (11km/l)       $2.3k (13km/l)

extra maintenance: $0.5k                 0

annual cost: $8.38k                          10.13k

savings of max $1.75k  a year. which can be eaten up by major repairs. Thus for a BB car, buy new is better. you don't really save all that much.