Acceleration -- CVT vs auto

Kklim

hyundai accent is a pretty decent drive actually. i drove the sylphy previously and its heavy as f. my friend sylphy gearbox up lorry and he had to floor it to climb a slope. interior space wise sylphy wins hands down but if u get a brand new accent with warranty, you need not worry about repairs/breaking down etc for the next 5 years.

more of pay now less hassle or pay later for the hassle (when sylphy starts to give you problems). 

suggest you wait for hyundai to have clearance sales for their avante instead and get it at below 70k if you can. depre works out to less than 6.5/year which is way more value for money over the accent. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I couldn't agree more that CVT is sh1t.

More than sh1t its down right dangerous.

I was on the NSH and trying to pass another car.

I push down on the accelerator and the revs went up the engine made a hell of a noise and it kept the same speed and did not accelerate.

So CVT is worse than sh1t, its down right dangerous.

:grin:

I will be getting one for my MIL as her new car.

That's how much I hate CVTs.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

8 hours ago, Kklim said:

Deciding between renewing COE for my Sylphy G11 auto and buying a new Hyundai Accent (CVT). Drive on NSH up north every few months so would like to ask how CVT compares to auto transmission for acceleration. Thanks for any help.

Sharing my 2006 Sylphy experiences. Throughout my 13 years ownership (extend coe 5 years), still serving me good with a fc of 11.8km to 12.9km per litre (manual measurement - by substracting km vs litre pumped) 

Apart for wear n tear, parts are cheap.

Clean the electronic throttle for more power

Definitely a better choice over accent

• Praise 2

32 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

I couldn't agree more that CVT is sh1t.

More than sh1t its down right dangerous.

I was on the NSH and trying to pass another car.

I push down on the accelerator and the revs went up the engine made a hell of a noise and it kept the same speed and did not accelerate.

So CVT is worse than sh1t, its down right dangerous.

:grin:

I will be getting one for my MIL as her new car.

That's how much I hate CVTs.

No leh. The CVT gb in the A6 is great!!! No problem overtaking even with those turbodiesel pickups in Thailand. Dragged with them from traffic lights and smoked them. 270bhp and 390Nm of torque helps a lot.[:p]

But then the pickup on CVT is a bit slow with a lag. But once power band comes in, it really goes.[drivingcar]

However, comparing to the CVT of the Axio that I previously owned, the CVT of the A6 triumphs it many many many times over.[grin]

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

No leh. The CVT gb in the A6 is great!!! No problem overtaking even with those turbodiesel pickups in Thailand. Dragged with them from traffic lights and smoked them. 270bhp and 390Nm of torque helps a lot.[:p]

But then the pickup on CVT is a bit slow with a lag. But once power band comes in, it really goes.[drivingcar]

However, comparing to the CVT of the Axio that I previously owned, the CVT of the A6 triumphs it many many many times over.[grin]

If u tried the A6 with DCT, you find the earlier acceleration much faster than the CVT unit. Basically due to the rubber band effect u lose abt 20-30% of the torque when at low gear/low Rev.

CVT were never designed for performance engines. The only saving grace is the newer ones (6 preset gear CVT)  it offers good fuel efficiency when cruising due to the lower Rev. This is why some carmarkers continue to use this instead of investing R&D in DCT or 8-10 spd traditional autobox 

Edited by Ceecookie
  • Praise 2

12 hours ago, Kklim said:

Deciding between renewing COE for my Sylphy G11 auto and buying a new Hyundai Accent (CVT). Drive on NSH up north every few months so would like to ask how CVT compares to auto transmission for acceleration. Thanks for any help.

I got that figure out long long ago.  No matter how I love my ride.  When 10 years come, Pipe-piper like me will demand my PARF back from garment.  It is an entitlement lor.

And I will buy a newer and better car lor.

CVT is actually OK laaa, but please please please, when driving a CVT car, please please please DO NOT put MUGEN sticker lor. My Kia Carens U2 VGT with Intercooler and Dual Clutch 7s, I also no put MUGEN lor.......

Well, think CVT is fuel-efficient, though Automatic seems better for overtaking ... some says manual are even better ...

as for overall performance, I think new car with latest technology and tuning should be able to run better, so if can choose, i may pick the new one ...

43 minutes ago, Kia7200 said:

Tried attrage n sienta CVT GB

Both makes me hate driving

Drive a KIA, feel like I have been kill in action. Hahahahhahahhahaah

13 hours ago, Adrianli said:

I guess it depends on the tuning of the CVT gearbox and the engine power/torque.

CVT + low-powered car = struggle

My 340bhp hybrid e-CVT is hair-trigger quick, especially in sports mode, cos there is no need for GB to drop gear, and there is no interruption to the relentless acceleration cos there is no gears to change.

Edited by Toeknee_33

In short:

Manual: Good if you have manual (no pun intended) dexterity, want a more engaging drive, and ensure your car is theft-proofed against millenials.

Auto (torque-converter): Smooth, refined, heavier, more complex construction, somewhat higher fuel consumption, less engaging of a drive, optimised for city driving where you're stuck in traffic jams for extended durations.

Dual-Clutch: Performance-oriented. Fast shifts, good fuel economy, engaging. Just don't get one from VW or Ford. These 2 have done their utmost best to torpedo the reputation of the Dual-Clutch transmission.

CVT: Totally un-engaging, but with good software, offers the best fuel economy and performance. Just that the performance is not something you can feel. Oh, and servicing the CVT is expensive.

Edited by DK3410
  • Praise 3

A golf buggy uses CVT. CVT systems are operated by 2 pulleys which changes its ratio at different speed. The weakest link here is always the belt (Rubber or metal) over time it will elongate and start to slip. With discipline periodic maintenance you can still get it to last 10 years. 

There is no best gearbox in the world as its just an additional component for the car owner to take care, maintain or splurge money on. Best is still direct drive. 

18 minutes ago, DK3410 said:

In short:

Manual: Good if you have manual (no pun intended) dexterity, want a more engaging drive, and ensure your car is theft-proofed against millenials.

Auto (torque-converter): Smooth, refined, heavier, more complex construction, somewhat higher fuel consumption, less engaging of a drive, optimised for city driving where you're stuck in traffic jams for extended durations.

Dual-Clutch: Performance-oriented. Fast shifts, good fuel economy, engaging. Just don't get one from VW or Ford. These 2 have done their utmost best to torpedo the reputation of the Dual-Clutch transmission.

CVT: Totally un-engaging, but with good software, offers the best fuel economy and performance. Just that the performance is not something you can feel. Oh, and servicing the CVT is expensive.

disagree that the conventional torque converter auto is complex. it is the least complex of all the auto boxes.

↡ Advertisement