Acceleration -- CVT vs auto

Kklim

On 10/11/2020 at 5:42 PM, Wt_know said:

i swear by ZF 8sp .... [thumbsup] 

Love the ZF8HP! 

Used to drive the low end version of the ZF8HP with my previous BMW F20 1 series.

In fact, I'm so impressed with this GB during the test drive that I choose the F20 1 series over the F45 2 series using a dual clutch transmission.

Edited by Rickster
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Columbian78 said:

The experience was negative. I did not say (or feel/think) DCT is a negative transmission.

Or were you asking about something else?

Sorry for not being clear. Why the experience was negative? DCT is one of the latest and better transmission, minus its lifespan. 

55 minutes ago, Passion said:

Sorry for not being clear. Why the experience was negative? DCT is one of the latest and better transmission, minus its lifespan. 

Ref to the post you quoted me. I was describing being use to something. When being thrown into another thing it needs time to get used to as well as knowing how to use it. I had been a cvt guy so far. Then when exposed to a dct i didnt know how to use it correctly. I am aware it is different and need different approach. 

Also i better clarify i am not a cvt fan. It just happen that the 2 cars i had owned are cvts. I chose the cars not the gearbox. My next car i will likely avoid cvt.

i think that gb tuning heavily influences the driveability of the ride.. I don't think that nowadays should feel a detrimental lag when you need the power.

Fr my ride, after downsizing from 17" to 15". It confirmed my suspicion that my gb software/tuning is for the latter.. (on 17") in "D" i never seem to use 60% of the upper rpm value (abv 2.6k). I had to shift to "S" to force the rpm above 3000 (e.g during highway upslope). Tho normal flat surface overtaking felt alright, I had no issue.

On reliability, I had my GB overhauled at 310k not because it wouldn't drive forward, but because R gear couldn't engage.

6 hours ago, markw12 said:

i think that gb tuning heavily influences the driveability of the ride.. I don't think that nowadays should feel a detrimental lag when you need the power.

Fr my ride, after downsizing from 17" to 15". It confirmed my suspicion that my gb software/tuning is for the latter.. (on 17") in "D" i never seem to use 60% of the upper rpm value (abv 2.6k). I had to shift to "S" to force the rpm above 3000 (e.g during highway upslope). Tho normal flat surface overtaking felt alright, I had no issue.

On reliability, I had my GB overhauled at 310k not because it wouldn't drive forward, but because R gear couldn't engage.

Sorry what is GB

The DCT dry clutch to me it's a scam. Any cvt and regular auto gb with the torque converter dont have wear and tear issues so early and certainly do not require high maintenance cost. Replacing the pair of clutch is labour intensive and not as straight forward as the manual gb clutch replacements. Talk about  long down time, high labour cost and parts cost. Somemore creeping in slow traffic or creeping up a ramp will over heat the clutches. And for what? For that few milliseconds of faster upshifts during acceleration? LoL... imo a one trick pony is not worth the trouble and cost. Once owners are bitten by that high cost they drive slowly and baby the clutch. What's the point?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

The DCT dry clutch to me it's a scam. Any cvt and regular auto gb with the torque converter dont have wear and tear issues so early and certainly do not require high maintenance cost. Replacing the pair of clutch is labour intensive and not as straight forward as the manual gb clutch replacements. Talk about  long down time, high labour cost and parts cost. Somemore creeping in slow traffic or creeping up a ramp will over heat the clutches. And for what? For that few milliseconds of faster upshifts during acceleration? LoL... imo a one trick pony is not worth the trouble and cost. Once owners are bitten by that high cost they drive slowly and baby the clutch. What's the point?

one point point, no different when cruise along highway in sg or NSHW.. 

but great fun in sprinted drive...      

CVT is theoretically the fastest and fuel saving gearbox by nature of its design if engineer want to be that way as it can maintain the engine speed at its peak torque or peak power. There is no need for CVT to ride through the rpm curve again and again when changing “gear” like in all other type gearboxes be it manual, DCT or automatic.

Imagine in a racetrack if let say for ease of calculation one need to change gear 100 times per lap and each time it need 1s to accelerate back to the rpm where engine produce max torque or power due to changing gear, a CVT can save 100s per lap

• Praise 1

can test the forester xt 2.0T on cvt and all the views on CVT will change. 

241hp 350nm stock 
280hp 400nm safe tune 0-100 5.x secs

got chance to test drive can go for it. those that say CVT no power havent got chance to test before. 

• Haha! 2

241hp 350nm stock 

got chance to test drive can go for it. those that say CVT no power havent got chance to test before. 

18 hours ago, Eaststargrouper said:

CVT is theoretically the fastest and fuel saving gearbox by nature of its design if engineer want to be that way as it can maintain the engine speed at its peak torque or peak power. There is no need for CVT to ride through the rpm curve again and again when changing “gear” like in all other type gearboxes be it manual, DCT or automatic.

Imagine in a racetrack if let say for ease of calculation one need to change gear 100 times per lap and each time it need 1s to accelerate back to the rpm where engine produce max torque or power due to changing gear, a CVT can save 100s per lap

i think, by right.. supposed to be gearless, constant rpm value, and constant power.

22 hours ago, KCTeo said:

241hp 350nm stock 

You put a 241hp car on dual clutch, you see who go faster. It’s not the gearbox now, it’s the engine pack with power and that’s why the pull force is amazing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 3