11 Reasons Why Diesel Trumps Gasoline

kobayashiGT

On 12/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, Beehive3783 said:

In SG, diesel only makes sense if your mileage driven can overcome:

1. Price difference of diesel car compared to petrol equivalent

2. Special diesel car road tax

3. Servicing cost? Not too sure about this part.

Other than that, diesel cars will never make sense to those marginal owners who hardly drive.

comfort switching over to hybrids from diesel taxis. i guess that says something from the cost perspective.

41 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

you want natural  biofuels  .... contact @Jamesc ....... he say 1 :a-happy:

That one not me lah.

Its my MIL that's the natural gas supplier.

:grin:

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Solar said:

You can tell  by looking at the pump colour. Blue means it's Euro 5. Black is Euro 2.

Not sure about Euro5 is still called Euro5 when they are mixed with bio diesels..There are articles mentioning that Malaysian diesels are mixed bio diesels.

A guy in a Facebook group driving Ssangyong said his car can't take bio diesel.

I have done a readup, my car is acceptable to bio diesel fuel.. so far I have used their Euro 5 Shell, Petron and Petronas. Can't I tell any difference, even if they are really bio diesel.

Currently, it is B7 biodiesel.  Not sure whether there is any plan to move it to B10

• Praise 2

On 12/20/2019 at 5:58 PM, Mkl22 said:

comfort switching over to hybrids from diesel taxis. i guess that says something from the cost perspective.

Not only that. They know something that we don't, and probably have latest first hand information from the garment about upcoming motoring tax revisions.

• Praise 2

Sharing on article from Autocar UK:

Diesel engines are more economical than petrol engines, which still haven’t caught up despite advances like direct injection. So what exactly is the difference between petrol and diesel engines and how do diesels work?

First off, diesel and petrol both come from the same source, crude oil. They’re both hydrocarbon liquid fuels, but diesel does have different properties from petrol. Diesel is more dense than petrol and contains about 15% more energy by volume. That means, litre for litre, you literally get more bangs for your buck.

But that’s not the whole story. Diesel engines are still far more efficient than petrol engines at converting fuel to mechanical energy. In fact, including the energy advantage of the fuel itself, diesels are up to 40% more efficient at doing that. Both types of engines are classified as ‘heat’ engines because they convert heat energy from fuel into mechanical energy. But diesels have better thermal efficiency than petrol engines, which means they convert more of the heat into mechanical energy and waste less of it into the environment.

Diesel engines work by compressing air so tightly in a small combustion space that it gets hot enough to ignite diesel spontaneously when it’s injected. The petrol engine relies on a spark for ignition at lower compression. The higher compression ratio of the diesel engine means it has a high expansion ratio – the difference between the compressed space and the space opened up when the piston reaches the bottom of its travel. That equates to higher efficiency.

Diesel engines are also unthrottled. Most petrol engines throttle the amount of air going into the engine because the air-to-fuel ratio needs to stay at the optimum point of 14.7:1, so the quantity of fuel and air entering the engine are both regulated. A diesel engine runs very lean (much more air) and can draw in as much air as it wants, controlling the power only by injecting more or less fuel. The petrol engine is attempting to suck in the same amount of air at low throttle openings but can’t, causing ‘pumping losses’. It’s like sucking through a squashed straw: the engine can’t win but it uses energy trying. The unthrottled diesel engine doesn’t have that problem, which also increases efficiency.

On the thorny and controversial question of emissions, the diesel generates less CO2 because it’s more efficient and burns less fuel. It does create more oxides of nitrogen (NOx) inside the combustion chamber but that has nothing to do with the composition of diesel fuel. NOx is formed in any high-temperature combustion process because nitrogen in the air combines with oxygen (it oxidises).

Because diesel engine combustion is hot and runs lean, it makes more NOx. This is cleaned up by exhaust after-treatment, such as SCR (selective catalyst reduction), and the latest diesels produce extremely low amounts of NOx. The diesel may have had a bad press over the past few years, but lower fuel consumption will make it a tough act to follow between now and whenever combustion engines finally bite the dust.

• Praise 2

19 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

On a side note, the FL Prius just launched recently is even uglier than its predecessor. Toyota are good at making ugly things even uglier. LOL

After 20 years of hybrid car leadership with close to 7M being sold, its global popularity is dropping rapidly, as other popular Toyota models also adopt the hybrid powertrain. With the mainstream and big-selling Corolla also going hybrid, who would need a Prius?

This 4G Prius will perhaps go down in history as the last of the breed. So, to make a statement...it has to stand out with its idiosyncratic styling...maybe?

Edited by Toeknee_33

If diesel engine is as clean as petrol engine.

Why we have smoke issue for even the latest e6 commercial diesel vehicle?

I no expert but i see those newest lorry still produce  black smoke and they still need take yearly smoke test.

If as mention here they are as clean as petrol then no point for  that right? 🤔

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Sharing on article from Autocar UK:

Diesel engines are more economical than petrol engines, which still haven’t caught up despite advances like direct injection. So what exactly is the difference between petrol and diesel engines and how do diesels work?

First off, diesel and petrol both come from the same source, crude oil. They’re both hydrocarbon liquid fuels, but diesel does have different properties from petrol. Diesel is more dense than petrol and contains about 15% more energy by volume. That means, litre for litre, you literally get more bangs for your buck.

But that’s not the whole story. Diesel engines are still far more efficient than petrol engines at converting fuel to mechanical energy. In fact, including the energy advantage of the fuel itself, diesels are up to 40% more efficient at doing that. Both types of engines are classified as ‘heat’ engines because they convert heat energy from fuel into mechanical energy. But diesels have better thermal efficiency than petrol engines, which means they convert more of the heat into mechanical energy and waste less of it into the environment.

Diesel engines work by compressing air so tightly in a small combustion space that it gets hot enough to ignite diesel spontaneously when it’s injected. The petrol engine relies on a spark for ignition at lower compression. The higher compression ratio of the diesel engine means it has a high expansion ratio – the difference between the compressed space and the space opened up when the piston reaches the bottom of its travel. That equates to higher efficiency.

Diesel engines are also unthrottled. Most petrol engines throttle the amount of air going into the engine because the air-to-fuel ratio needs to stay at the optimum point of 14.7:1, so the quantity of fuel and air entering the engine are both regulated. A diesel engine runs very lean (much more air) and can draw in as much air as it wants, controlling the power only by injecting more or less fuel. The petrol engine is attempting to suck in the same amount of air at low throttle openings but can’t, causing ‘pumping losses’. It’s like sucking through a squashed straw: the engine can’t win but it uses energy trying. The unthrottled diesel engine doesn’t have that problem, which also increases efficiency.

On the thorny and controversial question of emissions, the diesel generates less CO2 because it’s more efficient and burns less fuel. It does create more oxides of nitrogen (NOx) inside the combustion chamber but that has nothing to do with the composition of diesel fuel. NOx is formed in any high-temperature combustion process because nitrogen in the air combines with oxygen (it oxidises).

Because diesel engine combustion is hot and runs lean, it makes more NOx. This is cleaned up by exhaust after-treatment, such as SCR (selective catalyst reduction), and the latest diesels produce extremely low amounts of NOx. The diesel may have had a bad press over the past few years, but lower fuel consumption will make it a tough act to follow between now and whenever combustion engines finally bite the dust.

In SG where Humidity is nearly 90~100% 365, NOx dissolved to found acid and before reach our system, turn to Nitrate liao.

Hence, our NEA number they ownself publish is NSEW is ZERO lor, there is NO NOx in SG wor........

• Praise 1

I rented the kia carnival twice. the first one was the diesel version, the 2nd was petrol version. the diesel is def nicer to drive - the petrol pick up is sluggish but no such issue with the diesel. FC also diesel better at least by 20%. diesel also not noisy, tiak tiak sound not noticeable. 

but if u ask me for ownership which will you buy, I wil get the petrol. 

8 hours ago, Beehive3783 said:

Not only that. They know something that we don't, and probably have latest first hand information from the garment about upcoming motoring tax revisions.

Likely. Cna has set the tone today publishing a letter from a local uni prof stating our carbon tax is too low, need to take action now, quoted env minister etc. The big boys know.

On 12/23/2019 at 5:33 PM, Scholesy said:

I rented the kia carnival twice. the first one was the diesel version, the 2nd was petrol version. the diesel is def nicer to drive - the petrol pick up is sluggish but no such issue with the diesel. FC also diesel better at least by 20%. diesel also not noisy, tiak tiak sound not noticeable. 

but if u ask me for ownership which will you buy, I wil get the petrol. 

Only issue is the diesel engine has low rpm range. Quickly runs out at 4k rpm redline.

Sibeh sian if one needs to drag some gears. Also noticed the torque pull is much lesser from 3.5k onwards.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, Rickster said:

Agree, when people tell me my diesel car is so dirty, my answer to them...it's still much better than most of the commercial vehicles u see on the roads and those old COE high performance cars.

Next time they tell u diesel is dirty, tell them their petrol car emits more CO2.[bounce2]

• Praise 1

On 12/23/2019 at 11:55 AM, Beregond said:

If diesel engine is as clean as petrol engine.

Why we have smoke issue for even the latest e6 commercial diesel vehicle?

I no expert but i see those newest lorry still produce  black smoke and they still need take yearly smoke test.

If as mention here they are as clean as petrol then no point for  that right? 🤔

I think for smoke issue with many commercial vehicles is mainly due to poor maintenance. I don't see smoke issues with many diesel cars in Singapore.

Fyi, a poorly maintained petrol car produces smoke as well.

↡ Advertisement